Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2024 7:02 pm  #1

Mossie Cheer

I remember as a student in the old Civic Arena participating as Mossie led his legendary Cheer. As an old timer and witness to history  I feel  it is my duty to correct the Mossie Cheer as shown in the YouTube video linked on the article below. The original Mossie Cheer starts with the word Ahoya not Whoa. The Cheer is as follows:

Ahoya, Ahoya
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Ahoya. Dukes!
Let's Go Duquesne (with 5 claps)

The Let's Go Duquesne part is repeated several times until people got tired.

https://triblive.com/opinion/joseph-sabino-mistick-a-great-tradition-reborn-at-duquesne/

Last edited by CLK (3/24/2024 7:06 pm)

3/24/2024 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Mossie Cheer

That's how I remember it. Mossie would wave his arms from side to side over his head and use the "ahoyas" to make sure he had the attention of the whole arena, before continuing the cheer. 

3/24/2024 7:19 pm  #3

This brings back great memories.  I had no idea what was happening at the first home game when all the students stood up and started to cheer.  It took the second cheer later in the game to realize it was the guy in the aisle across the arena who initiated the cheer.   Mossie would be so happy with the past week.

3/24/2024 7:27 pm  #4

MikeR wrote:

That's how I remember it. Mossie would wave his arms from side to side over his head and use the "ahoyas" to make sure he had the attention of the whole arena, before continuing the cheer. 

100% correct.

And I remember it as whoa exactly like the cheerleaders in the video presented it. 

The correct word may be ahoya.  But I always heard and said whoa when doing the cheer.

Last edited by DuqBlue (3/24/2024 7:30 pm)

3/24/2024 7:37 pm  #5

Also reminded me of the "Under the Arm, Pitt!" cheer and the "special" Duquesne response to the "Hail to Pitt" fight song. I hope to get to do it again before I die.

3/24/2024 7:54 pm  #6

CLK wrote:

I remember as a student in the old Civic Arena participating as Mossie led his legendary Cheer. As an old timer and witness to history  I feel  it is my duty to correct the Mossie Cheer as shown in the YouTube video linked on the article below. The original Mossie Cheer starts with the word Ahoya not Whoa. The Cheer is as follows:

Ahoya, Ahoya
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Ahoya. Dukes!

https://triblive.com/opinion/joseph-sabino-mistick-a-great-tradition-reborn-at-duquesne/

I posted the same video in a thread earlier this week because as a class of 2004 alum it was all I knew of the cheer. I never experienced it first hand until Thursday in Omaha. Some might say I still haven’t unless it’s led by Mossie. I’m all in favor of bringing back as many Dukes traditions as we can. I guess those in the know will have to come to a consensus as to what is accurate.

3/24/2024 8:20 pm  #7

luckymcd wrote:

CLK wrote:

I remember as a student in the old Civic Arena participating as Mossie led his legendary Cheer. As an old timer and witness to history I feel it is my duty to correct the Mossie Cheer as shown in the YouTube video linked on the article below. The original Mossie Cheer starts with the word Ahoya not Whoa. The Cheer is as follows:

Ahoya, Ahoya
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Ahoya. Dukes!

I posted the same video in a thread earlier this week because as a class of 2004 alum it was all I knew of the cheer. I never experienced it first hand until Thursday in Omaha. Some might say I still haven’t unless it’s led by Mossie. I’m all in favor of bringing back as many Dukes traditions as we can. I guess those in the know will have to come to a consensus as to what is accurate.

Going to my first game in 68 before going to DU as a freshman in 72 when I got to go to ever game, this cheer was great. Later at DU at administration socials that I attended as part of the Student Government, I got to meet Mosie.. This man loved DU. He would be so proud of this team and coach. Also, I thought it was whoa too. 

3/24/2024 8:31 pm  #8

I never understood why we ever gave up the cheer to begin with...
Question I have is when did we stop using the cheer?  When did the cheer die?
Was it when Mossie died or was it because Dukes moved to Cooper Fieldhouse??
Living afar from Duquesne (Florida & Cali) ... I have not been able to catch the Dukes accept thru media over the years, so I can not attest when this cheer died?!

I say bring the cheer back, have it recorded if need be.... and played during the home games!!!!!

Let GO Dukes !!!!!

3/24/2024 8:35 pm  #9

NapaDuke wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

CLK wrote:

I remember as a student in the old Civic Arena participating as Mossie led his legendary Cheer. As an old timer and witness to history I feel it is my duty to correct the Mossie Cheer as shown in the YouTube video linked on the article below. The original Mossie Cheer starts with the word Ahoya not Whoa. The Cheer is as follows:

Ahoya, Ahoya
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Shoo Shoo Rah Rah
Ahoya. Dukes!

Going to my first game in 68 before going to DU as a freshman in 72 when I got to go to ever game, this cheer was great. Later at DU at administration socials that I attended as part of the Student Government, I got to meet Mosie.. This man loved DU. He would be so proud of this team and coach. Also, I thought it was whoa too. 

Mossie was frequently on campus in the late 60's. The campus was close nit back then. Almost all the residents would make the trek to the Civic A on game dsys. I was in the Sheiks and frequently prodded Mossie to start the Cheer. Trust me on this the ORIGINAL cheer was Ahoya not Whoa.

3/24/2024 8:54 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

Mossie was frequently on campus in the late 60's. The campus was close nit back then. Almost all the residents would make the trek to the Civic A on game dsys. I was in the Sheiks and frequently prodded Mossie to start the Cheer. Trust me on this the ORIGINAL cheer was Ahoya not Whoa.

Sheiks, that brought a smile on my face. A few of my classmates were Sheiks.

3/24/2024 9:43 pm  #11

CalDuke wrote:

I never understood why we ever gave up the cheer to begin with...
Question I have is when did we stop using the cheer?  When did the cheer die?
Was it when Mossie died or was it because Dukes moved to Cooper Fieldhouse??
Living afar from Duquesne (Florida & Cali) ... I have not been able to catch the Dukes accept thru media over the years, so I can not attest when this cheer died?!

I say bring the cheer back, have it recorded if need be.... and played during the home games!!!!!

Let GO Dukes !!!!!

We've all heard of 'retired numbers"  at the Palumbo Center there was a "RETIRED SEAT" in honor of Mossie

Last edited by SkepticAl (3/24/2024 9:47 pm)

3/25/2024 6:26 am  #12

Well this is the class of 71 here  and I can assure you 100% that it is ahoya .

3/25/2024 8:46 am  #13

Mossie Murphy was featured in a 4 page article in Sports Illustrated written by Myron Cope in February 1963??It detailed Mossies crusade to get the Duquesne preists to increase funding the basketballl program.The preists tired of him ,avoided him at all costs
  Manning and Mossie did not like each other, Murphy was personable who charmed the recruits family while Manning promised parents that their son would get a quality education,go to church on Sundays
and he would make sure their son would behave themselves.
  Red got so mad at Mossie he would say GET THAT FAT BOY OUT OF HERE. Great article.

3/25/2024 8:52 am  #14

Back then Alumni were alllowed to be involved in recruiting,going on in home visits,calling the kids up and being a big part of the recruiting process. Im pretty sure Mossie would slip players money although Mossie
really didnt have the means to do it.The man loved Duquesne.

3/25/2024 9:38 am  #15

Thanks for the memories. Totally agree with CLK’s version of the cheer. My only other recollection was that he would start with “Are you ready?”   Maybe I’m just dreaming that

3/25/2024 9:43 am  #16

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Thanks for the memories. Totally agree with CLK’s version of the cheer. My only other recollection was that he would start with “Are you ready?” Maybe I’m just dreaming that

You are right. I had forgotten that part.

3/25/2024 9:58 am  #17

Yes - and sometimes he would do the “are you ready” twice if he thought we were not sufficiently “into it”

3/25/2024 10:47 am  #18

MikeR wrote:

RedandBlueRUs wrote:

Thanks for the memories. Totally agree with CLK’s version of the cheer. My only other recollection was that he would start with “Are you ready?” Maybe I’m just dreaming that

You are right. I had forgotten that part.

For sure he did that, thanks.  Just for the heck of it I researched where the phrase Ahoya came from.  This is what I found:

In 1946, an article came out in the Tribune that said “ring out ahoya” meant a victory chant, and that there was no other meaning behind it. “Ring out ahoya” was just a catchphrase the students and staff would say during games to pump up their teams and themselves in showing school spirit.

3/25/2024 10:49 am  #19

LOL you are right kcc.  He would great frustrated and yell it out again.  Of course everyone did not want to disappoint.  It was glorious.  The whole arena would get into it. Some disagree and believe we need something new.  But, It is a quirky, energizing cheer.  Even Mossie’s daughter would like to see it back per FB.  Could it be an individual in the stands (stew?) or a video of Mossie?  Maybe AI could work it’s magic

3/25/2024 11:10 am  #20

This is a fantastic thread. It demonstrates just the sort of wacky fandom that makes following a team for decades worth the suffering.

My overriding memories of Mossie doing his thing is the way he bounced up & down while clapping his way through the "Let's Go Duquesne" part & that you could here his Pittsburgh accent throughout the performance. That made a great impression on a young out of towner just learning the local patois.

3/25/2024 11:31 am  #21

Yes the hopping up and down was vintage.  I agree - this kind of thread is refreshing

3/25/2024 11:45 am  #22

After Mossie passed away I had discussions with a number of people about doing the cheer.  Every single one of them, including a former player with season tickets who has since moved south, said that they were not worthy to lead the cheer.  I know that I certainly don't feel worthy of such a task.  My thought at this point is perhaps the captain of the cheerleaders with the rest of the cheerleading squad around her could come out to center court and shout "ARE YOU READY?!?!?!" with the rest of the cheerleaders then joining in with Ahoya, Ahoya, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Shoo Shoo, Rah Rah, Ahoya, Let's Go Duquesne!!!

3/25/2024 11:54 am  #23

Another thing that I liked was all of us stomping our feet in unison to the clapping.  It made a huge racket at the Civic Arena and I'm sure that the clapping and foot stomping would be tremendous at Cooper Fieldhouse.

3/25/2024 11:57 am  #24

The cheerleaders did not lead the cheer in Omaha.   A fan just below me did.  He didn’t quite get it right, but doing it was so right. He got the already rocking crowd rolling.  Congrats to him and all those in Omaha. I still cannot talk being horse from the games.

3/25/2024 11:58 am  #25

Mossie was great alright. I had the pleasure of playing for a wedding for one of his kids many years ago. I remember it so well since when I came out of the PAA in Oakland after the gig, my car had been stolen! 
Anyway, a real character in the best sense of the word!! Are you ready?  A resounding YES!! Let's go Duquesne!!

Board footera