Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2024 9:22 pm  #1

A New Era

My posts/recaps are usually pretty long, but I'll try not to go overboard, but... I probably will.

I can't remember a more amazing week in all of sports in this town. And I'm a pretty avid sports fan for all the major teams here. I've been to Stanley Cup finals, the Super Bowl in Tampa, and the Cueto game... but this week was something out of a storybook. I've said it a couple times already, this should be a 30 for 30. Something like:

Our history as a school, breaking barriers and a winning tradition, but then trying to find a winning path again and again and again, Keith's almost not being able to coach again, but a kid from Akron changed his future, a regime change that finally cared, getting that coach this team needed, building the house that was required to compete, and a fan base that believed. A family, a brotherhood formed, both inside and out of those four lines. One that would support this team even when things looked dire. And to boot a man trying to do right by his wife, who was battling for her live. And then it happens... lightning in a bottle. A run that hasn't been seen for decades. Winning an A10 championship, people from across the US finally recognizing who we are on that selection Sunday. And then an announcement, the man that brought us here would retire to care for his wife, but leaving this university in a better place. But the mission wasn't over... Then more articles, interviews, press conferences, national coverage that never has been seen before. Millions of people searching Duquesnes website. Mr James sending sneakers to our boys. But then, when we think it couldn't get any better. We win... We win against a team that most didn't think we could handle. Our boys put us on the map, people are asking how to pronounce this teams name, and we remind them. My buddy Bobby cancels class and goes viral. Keith is talking to Scott Van Pelt. Getting mentions several times on Pat McAfee. ESPN talking about our team, our town, our history. People, not just hoop fans, but people across the US know our story, the Duquesne Dukes are on the loose again. 😁

I know it ended pretty quickly with Illinois, but I for one wasn't sad, mad for a hot second sure, but the path to get here was not a quick one. And I think the board needs to change it's thinking a bit... we finally accomplished the goal! Now we have to improve on it. So instead of looking at the past negatively, I like to think of the coaches before as chapters, the players as pages, but we couldn't get to THIS ending without them. But we had to bring in someone special to write the ending...

But now it's a new era, maybe we can build upon this years success and get back to those glory years of the past. If it's Dru I'll support him whole heartedly, but the Dambrot era has ended, let's make sure the new era is even better. Go to the games, support where we can with NIL, repost that article, and just like how we were a part of this era, let's create this new one together boys.

I'll end with during the NCAA tournament I was in Vegas sporting all my Dukes gear every day. People from Pittsburgh and across the US came up to be to talk Dukes. Fans or not. A couple name pronunciation corrections. A couple retellings of our story. High fives! Go Dukes chants. I felt proud... and this time it wasn't just hyperbole, because I talk us up every year to my out of state friends, Duquesne is back baby! And we are just getting started...

Last edited by StillatShales (3/25/2024 9:22 pm)

3/27/2024 6:16 pm  #2

Re: A New Era

It was a fantastic team and a fantastic season. It will be great to raise the banner next year. If it wasn't likely at least a few guys from the team will be playing professionally (and probably overseas) I'd say we should bring the whole team back and induct them into the Dukes Hall of Fame the same night.

3/27/2024 6:38 pm  #3

I am so happy for KD, I didn't actually believe he could suddenly run thru the A-10, like he did, but like all of us, after 50 years, he did it. He is leaving at the most perfect  time. He wanted Dru to take over and he did with Dru in the best position to win, Dru is mature, and vastly experience, and can hit the ground running next year.  No new coach is a guarantee, at any price,  but Dru is a solid bet. because of  KD. 

3/27/2024 8:08 pm  #4

NapaDuke wrote:

I am so happy for KD, I didn't actually believe he could suddenly run thru the A-10, like he did, but like all of us, after 50 years, he did it. He is leaving at the most perfect  time. He wanted Dru to take over and he did with Dru in the best position to win, Dru is mature, and vastly experience, and can hit the ground running next year.  No new coach is a guarantee, at any price,  but Dru is a solid bet. because of  KD. 

Didn’t I tell you to believe? ;)

3/27/2024 8:32 pm  #5

BluffHunter wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Didn’t I tell you to believe? ;)

Yea, egg on my face, big time, but I'd rather be so wrong about KD then right. KD did a lot, but, I'm sure he wants Dru to take DU to the next level. Near the end of the season, in that run, KD put some young players up to the plate when no coach would have done that, and it paid off.  KD did his best coaching in the last 6 games. Luckly for DU.

3/28/2024 12:04 am  #6

luckymcd, completely agree. Whenever that game may be, it will be an awesome site to see. Seeing that banner (or two, one for A10 Champs, other for NCAA tournament 2nd round) go up... and getting a chance to celebrate those kids again will definitely bring a tear to my eye. I had so much fomo not being at the A10 Championship (wife was out of town, I had my kids) and in Omaha (already booked my yearly pilgrimage to Vegas) that I will definitely be there once they announce that game.

3/28/2024 12:09 am  #7

And napa. I don't think anyone saw this coming, myself included who loves KD to a fault. Especially... after that Fordham loss. I know a couple of my buddies after that game said he's done, washed up, etc. And I had my doubts too don't get me wrong. I just had the mindset that we have a couple games to play, and anything can happen in the A10 tournament. And thank God it it.  So I wouldn't even call it egg on your face, we all have eyes... you were reacting as you should as a fan. No fault in that.

3/28/2024 8:42 am  #8

Even the most loyal and devoted DU fans have at one time or another, wavered in our support of the team. 47 years of frustration, will do that to a fan base..... I know , I was there when Stormin-Norman and the Dukes, last went dancing.It wasn't till Gromley stepped in that things changed. Gromley and Harper had a vision and recognized what a successful basketball program could and would eventually mean to the university.The national recognition that Duquesne University has received from this team's epic run is unquantifiable.If you look at my posts you'll see that I have just recently started posting again. I was prompted to post after our 0-3 conference start and correctly prediicted the 0-5 start, that eventually  transpired. I think I used the phrase WTF?!..at the time ... LOL....I just could not understand why we seemed to make one stupid mistake after another, during that 5- game loosing streak. I have to admit however that Dambrot and this team proved me wrong. It was their steadfast determination and a staying-on- the-course attitude that eventually did the trick. I cannot tell you how eternally grateful I am for what this 2024 team has accomplished. I will forever be ... DU Proud !!!!! GO Dukes!!!!

Board footera