Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/04/2024 2:32 pm  #1

Mercyhurst Joining NEC Including Football

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/04/2024 6:04 pm  #2

Re: Mercyhurst Joining NEC Including Football

The conference needed somebody to maintain the minimum six teams to keep an automatic bid. I can't say I'm thrilled with the addition, but beggars can't be choosers. Once the conference decided not to let Merrimack and Sacred Heart stay football members, it was going to be a team like this that got the sixth spot.

4/05/2024 9:43 pm  #3

NEC football members are Central Connecticut, LIU, Saint Francis, Wagner, Duquesne, Stonehill and Robert Morris. 

Mercyhurst makes 8.   

But as we have all said it made zero sense for the NEC to not allow Merrimack and Sacred Heart to remain to play football.   

I really believe the conference does that to collect the full exit fee from the schools leaving.

4/06/2024 2:26 pm  #4

Thanks for the correction DuqBlue. I thought the conference was at seven last year, and forgot Robert Morris came back for football. I guess the conference wanted Mercyhurst and as long as they have football that was part of the deal. I don't think there's really a logical conference to move to, but Dukes football really needs a change.

4/06/2024 7:17 pm  #5

They would had a nice football conference if they let the teams in the Northeast stay and play in it.   They did the same crap to Monmouth and Bryant.  Monmouth found a better home.   I think Bryant is still that Big South mess. 

I’m fine with the NEC but the revolving door of teams weakens the conference beyond belief

4/07/2024 6:32 am  #6

DuqBlue wrote:

They would had a nice football conference if they let the teams in the Northeast stay and play in it.   They did the same crap to Monmouth and Bryant.  Monmouth found a better home.   I think Bryant is still that Big South mess. 

I’m fine with the NEC but the revolving door of teams weakens the conference beyond belief

Agreed!!  Why RMU and not tho other two??  Must be the exit money.

Mercyhurst will save on travel costs to have another more local team but I’d rather have Gannon as the Erie school.  We’ve played them before and it’s a bigger school.  They can come along too.

Last edited by coffee (4/07/2024 6:35 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/07/2024 8:09 pm  #7

Obviously it’s about basketball primarily for a conference like the NEC, and other than this season’s flash in the pan success driven by grad transfers, Gannon isn’t really primed for that. Mercyhurst has been far more consistent.

I’d love to see IUP get a shot, and the NEC is a logical landing spot for that. The KCAC is a *very* nice facility and both football and basketball have been pretty consistent over the years. I understand in the past there may have been resistance to that from the other PA full members but times change. Slightly biased as I have a master’s from there but, so what?

Last edited by Face (4/07/2024 8:14 pm)

Board footera