Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2024 8:09 am  #1

What’s the big deal with Bronny ?

Bronny averaged 5 pts, 3 rebs and 2 assists a game. All the while shooting 37% from the field ( 48% 2 pt and 26% 3 pt) 68% free throw. Bronny accomplished these numbers playing for a team that played well below .500. Who really thinks an NBA team is going to take him on those numbers. The only way they take him is to appease his father. Meanwhile there is speculation that he may come to Duquesne. Until he makes his decision, which may not be for awhile, other perspective recruits that like Duquesne may go elsewhere because of all the noise about Bronny may come here. Therefore I feel it may hurt the Dukes with all this speculation of Bronny coming here if he doesn’t go Pro. In the meantime we could lose out on a lot of recruits.

4/20/2024 1:46 pm  #2

Re: What’s the big deal with Bronny ?

Wildwood13 wrote:

Bronny averaged 5 pts, 3 rebs and 2 assists a game. All the while shooting 37% from the field ( 48% 2 pt and 26% 3 pt) 68% free throw. Bronny accomplished these numbers playing for a team that played well below .500. Who really thinks an NBA team is going to take him on those numbers. The only way they take him is to appease his father. Meanwhile there is speculation that he may come to Duquesne. Until he makes his decision, which may not be for awhile, other perspective recruits that like Duquesne may go elsewhere because of all the noise about Bronny may come here. Therefore I feel it may hurt the Dukes with all this speculation of Bronny coming here if he doesn’t go Pro. In the meantime we could lose out on a lot of recruits.

I kind of agree with that...  The guard situation is 'in limbo' here and guard type portal transfers deliberating on Duquesne as their choice have got to be asking themselves 'Will I get enough playing time if Bronny comes to the Dukes? -- maybe I'll wait or maybe I'll jump on another offer.'   

4/20/2024 2:41 pm  #3

Duquesne does not need Bronny.It was nice Duquesne was mentioned at first but he would only be here
1 year and Dru dont need this drama coaching him and pleasing Lebron.Dru needs to recruit basketball
players who want to win rather than dealing with featuring Bronny. and Lebrons bs.
Pittsburgh is a poor fit for a over-hyped California kid.We dont need the Karashian ridiculousness.Stay in California.

4/20/2024 3:05 pm  #4

Stew..., .what a dumb statement ....you can't be serious right....and what you got against California????!!!!!What state are you from Stew ?!!! and why does  the state Bronny is from ....have anything to do with Dukes Basketball ???? If I could use stronger language I would, but I would  get banned from this message board !!!!

Just love these people that want to disparge our porsperity !!!!

Last edited by CalDuke (4/20/2024 3:47 pm)

4/20/2024 3:10 pm  #5

Dukes need to be recruiting kids with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove that they were undervalued by the Power 5 trash.

4/20/2024 3:25 pm  #6

Of course Duquesne doesn't NEED Bronny. That doesn't mean having him on the team wouldn't produce great results for the program in myriad ways. At the absolute least, he would be the highest-ranking recruit since .....I can even think of a comparison. (Maybe Damian Saunders before he committed to DU?)

Let’s say that due to his family rep he was overrated by 50 spots as a high school recruit. That would still have him as one of the Top 75 players in the 2023 class. That is not the kind of player the Dukes have had a strong chance of landing in several decades; not even from the portal.

I have no doubt that other potential recruits are factoring  the Bronny situation into their decision making process. Heck, even Jake should mull over the idea that some combination of Bronny, Max Edwards, Dinkins, Corbett, Crawford, & Staton-McCray might be on campus next season. Unfortunately, that is the current nature of college basketball team building. There is, truly, no avoiding players having to base their matriculation decisions on who else is joining or leaving via the portal party.

I also see some risks associated with the media circus that will follow Bronny wherever he lands. I just happen to think that the program exposure & fringe benefits of having LeBron so closely associated with an up & coming program outweigh those risks.

4/20/2024 3:37 pm  #7

I  had wanted to post this on this thread but as you can see I got distracted

This  a  link to the Access Hollywood  Clip  of "Shooting Stars "  the movie premiere from 10 months ago.... A lot of topics touched on here like "Bronny and LaBron" playing together and insights into the fact that Dru is referred to as"The General" ....by Labron and all his former teammates, Lastly, pay close attention to what each says about Bronny and James playing together.

As reply to the previous satements that Bronny....doesn't want it enough or he doesn't have the neccessary drive  to succeed.  If you ask me... he has a huge chip on his shoulders and  has ton of reasons to  prove all the idiots that doubt him wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIJGgawkoM

Go Dukes !!!

Last edited by CalDuke (4/20/2024 4:09 pm)

4/20/2024 3:49 pm  #8

i would rather have the walk on from Mckees Rocks than a overprivileged kid with the Hollywood glitz almost 3,000 miles from home.. No real issues with California kids . Jake is a guy from here who is likely to be
at Duquesne his senior year.He will likely have a nice career here and earn a college degree from Duquesne.
 Sorry if I was being disrespectful to California.

4/20/2024 4:32 pm  #9

levon1975 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about whether everyone on this board is pulling in the same direction!

Have you forgotten about the heart issue that certainly impacted his season, costing him to miss significant preparation time prior to his first college season.  I was frankly surprised that he played as early as he did.  USC played him at the wing and apparently his best position is the point.  I recall he was at minimum a 3-4 star recruit out of Sierra Canyon.  Scouting reports praised his understanding of the game, and his ability to distribute the ball to the correct player at the correct time and location!
I’ll take that ability in a player anytime.

4/20/2024 4:44 pm  #10

Speaking for all California.....your (lame) apology is not accepted..... and to all the HATERS !!!!

"In Your Face" !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUkQSGyFBmQ

Here's another one....If you can't see his upside, you are an absolute moron....We have haven't had anybody on the Bluff this talented...SINCE-EVER !!!
I dare you to name any Duqusene Duke player (ever), that would have made this play?!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ikt543i1z3U

Go Dukes !!!

Last edited by CalDuke (4/20/2024 6:18 pm)

4/20/2024 5:18 pm  #11

Bronny was a McDonald's All-American. He even played pretty well in what was a very competitive game. Perhaps he got a bounce up the rankings because who is dad is, but he didn't seem at all out of place among the top 24 players in the country.

The other thing I find attractive about him is that he is known as a cerebral & active defender. He most consistently high praise as a lead guard has been linked to his defensive prowess.

levon1975 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about whether everyone on this board is pulling in the same direction!

Have you forgotten about the heart issue that certainly impacted his season, costing him to miss significant preparation time prior to his first college season.  I was frankly surprised that he played as early as he did.  USC played him at the wing and apparently his best position is the point.  I recall he was at minimum a 3-4 star recruit out of Sierra Canyon.  Scouting reports praised his understanding of the game, and his ability to distribute the ball to the correct player at the correct time and location!
I’ll take that ability in a player anytime.

4/20/2024 5:51 pm  #12

Stew Il love you man but you must have had 12 bud lights. WTF😱He comes to Duquesne the University get millions in free pub. To the haters move on. Bronnie is a huge pick up. Please end it. Nothing but love Stew. 

4/20/2024 6:22 pm  #13

Say he doesn’t come and we lose a bunch of recruits that could have helped us because they were afraid Bronny was coming here.  I guess you guys are willing to take that gamble. I personally am not ready to take that gamble. On a guy that had his stats this year go or a bottom team in the PAC 10. I know he had heart problems but once you get cleared you move on. I had a heart attack in 2005, five months later I was on the court. Open heart surgery in 2019 and back on the court in 2020 although limited because of Covid. Once your cleared you are ready to go unless complications.

4/20/2024 6:23 pm  #14

He comes here and even the Post-Gazette might notice.

4/20/2024 7:21 pm  #15

Wildwood13 wrote:

Say he doesn’t come and we lose a bunch of recruits that could have helped us because they were afraid Bronny was coming here..

Yeah. I agree. Duquesne should never go after highly rated guys. I’d hate to go after those kinds of players and possibly lose guys who are afraid of having to compete for playing time and guys who don’t want to be on good teams with potentially great players as teammates.

4/20/2024 7:30 pm  #16

I can appreciate the sarcasm, but this is 2024, not the Steel Bowl years. Players go to different schools via the transfer portal, because either they want exposure (players from lower conferences) or they want more playing time( from power 5 conferences). I wish it was the 60’s or 70’s where they work for playing time. But that is a thing of the past!!!! If you don’t get with the times, you will be past up!!!

4/20/2024 7:35 pm  #17

If I was a recruit, I would salivate at possibly getting to play with Bronny !!!!
And the last I checked, there 4 other positions on the team that Bronny would be on the court with too. I think all those guys on the team would want us to get us the best talent available. I want you to ask Rozier if he would like to share the court with Bronny?  I'll bet you a mil-bucks that Rozier would want the best for the team and would want Duquesne University to go after the best and highest rated recruits that they could possibly go after. To think and do otherwise would be absolute insanity.

It's this pathetic  "Loser" mentality of not having the "Guts" to compete, "Afraid " of a challenge, throw out the white flag and just "Surrender" !!!! WTF !!!!! Are you kidding me....!!! It's you Neanderthals that have kept us in misery for 49 years !!!!!!

Last edited by CalDuke (4/20/2024 8:13 pm)

4/20/2024 7:41 pm  #18

Instead of going back and forth, let’s see how this plays out. I hope the best for the Dukes, but at the present time we haven’t signed anyone!!!!

4/20/2024 7:58 pm  #19

By the way, I know for a fact that a player from a power five school had Duquesne in its top five but has since dropped Duquesne over all the speculation of Bronny. But you guys know and have the answers. That is why I brought up this conversation.

4/20/2024 8:15 pm  #20

Wildwood, if that is true, and I have no reason to doubt what you said, then my thought is this player can't handle competition.  If Bronny would come and not play well, I have the faith in Coach Dru that Bronny wouldn't play.  I mean he didn't play a lot at USC for that reason.

Thus, those who are competitive and won't back down from competition is who I would want at Duquesne.  

4/20/2024 8:16 pm  #21

We don't want no scrubs anyway....Wildwood.....Your just TRASHING the Kid Now....

Last edited by CalDuke (4/20/2024 8:23 pm)

4/20/2024 8:21 pm  #22

CalDuke wrote:

We don't want no scrubs anyway....Wildwood

He had a lot better numbers than Bronny and is projected as a better NBA player. So quit talking like you know what’s going on because you are clueless. All this tough talk by you but yet you can’t accept someone’s apology lets me know everything I need to know.

4/20/2024 8:32 pm  #23

You get off on TRASHING people !?

4/20/2024 8:36 pm  #24

Wildwood13 wrote:

But that is a thing of the past!!!! If you don’t get with the times, you will be past up!!!

Thats rich from a guy who used to complain about a coach making seven figures and who thinks Duquesne can still compete with a local heavy roster.

So, I want to make sure I get this right. You might lose a recruit who might help while you waiting for a guy you’d rather have decide. Was probably that way in the ‘60s and 70s too. 

4/20/2024 9:52 pm  #25

SteelBowl wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

But that is a thing of the past!!!! If you don’t get with the times, you will be past up!!!

Thats rich from a guy who used to complain about a coach making seven figures and who thinks Duquesne can still compete with a local heavy roster.

So, I want to make sure I get this right. You might lose a recruit who might help while you waiting for a guy you’d rather have decide. Was probably that way in the ‘60s and 70s too. 

You are probably not aware that over the past 5 years, there were seven players from the Pittsburgh area that played in power 5 conferences and contributed to their teams. There are another 5 players who played at lower division one schools who also started and contributed to their teams. Jake DiMichael our walk on who seemed like the glue to this team when he entered the starting lineup is from where ?
  Also it is one recruit that I know of, I am not friends with all the parents of who the Dukes are recruiting in the portal but could they be thinking the same thing? I sure as hell don’t know, that’s why I raised the question and was looking for feedback.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (4/20/2024 10:06 pm)

Board footera