Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2024 8:03 am  #1

Don’t let top recruits fool you!!

The top recruiting classes for the past three years are as follows:
2021 Memphis, Kentucky and Michigan
2022 Duke, Arkansas and Kentucky
2023 Kentucky, Duke and USC

This is their results this year.
USC 15-18 no NCAA
Arkansas 16-17 no NCAA
Michigan 8-24 no NCAA
Memphis 22-10 no NCAA
Kentucky 23-10 first round exit to Oakland
Duke 27-9 elite 8.
Duke is the only team to be quite successful during this recruiting classes.

Let’s look at this years final four teams and where their starters came from.

Alabama four of their five starters came from Ohio U, St Peters, North Dakota, and Cal State Fullerton.

NC State all five starters came from the following schools, Butler, Illinois State, Winthrop, Virginia and Missouri.

Purdue had one starter come from Southern Illinois

UCONN had two starters come from East Carolina and Loyola Md.

That is 12 of the 20 starters came via the portal. 9 of these starters came from lower level schools. The other three came from power five schools. All twelve of these players were not highly rated recruits.

This day and age, it’s not about getting the top recruits to be successful. It’s about putting a team together that plays like a team.

Duquesne got its exposure for getting to the tournament for the first time in 47 years and then winning a first round game. Clark and Grant were our catalyst and look where they came from. As far as those teams with the best recruits over the past three years, Kentucky and Arkansas at the moment, have 0 players. Kentucky, Arkansas, USC, and Michigan have new coaches. Hardaway at Memphis is on the hot seat. So don’t let this top recruit nonsense fool you. The proof is there, that you find the missing pieces of your returning core of players and play like a team.

To further reinforce this notion, go to ESPN top 100 basketball recruits and look at each year and see how many of these guys became successful.

Last edited by Wildwood13 (4/21/2024 8:08 am)

4/21/2024 8:11 am  #2

Re: Don’t let top recruits fool you!!

This is great news! Now I don't have to worry about Duquesne missing out on top rated recruit Adou Thiero.

Lamenting the loss of one prime recruit while downplaying the recruitment of another to support you argument strains credulity.

4/21/2024 8:21 am  #3

Re: Don’t let top recruits fool you!!

phil95 wrote:

This is great news! Now I don't have to worry about Duquesne missing out on top rated recruit Adou Thiero.

Lamenting the loss of one prime recruit while downplaying the recruitment of another to support you argument strains credulity.

What you are not understanding is the following, there are plenty of players out there that fit our needs. Don’t let one player dictate how your incoming class gets completed. I know of one instance were this occurred and I would prefer if it doesn’t happen again to the other perspective recruits. Whether it would happen to these other recruits is purely speculation on my part. But if it happens once it could occur several times. Start signing players available players that fit our needs.

Board footera