Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2024 6:45 pm  #1

Transfer portal rankings

Don't take much creedence in these rankings or how they were evaluated, but was thinking to myself how many D-1 teams have picked up this quality of talent. Speaks volumes, but I think the returning main core will be the key and the glue if it all comes together next season, Wan't to see a lot of minutes from the returnees. That's when we'll know we're doing well. The challenge for Dru is that he'll have the most talented squad 1-13 in terms of depth in the country. Go Dukes! This is the site, but you'll have to go team portal rankings instead of individual players to see the Dukes are ranked 7th in the entire country.  Thanks to Tristan Freeman for the twitter post.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qa3Fd5fpW9_72RGCBQLMmuvQRjXn4eiwAWLYtGQJYKE/edit#gid=518849194

Last edited by Rayrich (4/28/2024 6:47 pm)

4/28/2024 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Transfer portal rankings

4/28/2024 7:50 pm  #3

Rayrich wrote:

Thanks for posting this pretty cool
When I refreshed the link we moved up to #Six

The next question is will we add two more where will we stand?
Go Dukes

4/28/2024 8:04 pm  #4

Motor wrote:

Rayrich wrote:

Thanks for posting this pretty cool
When I refreshed the link we moved up to #Six

The next question is will we add two more where will we stand?
Go Dukes

Yes thought the same when I posted on Freeman's site that we may leap frog a couple with our next signing. Either way, the Dukes are in the best of places right now. 

4/29/2024 12:48 am  #5

this is not tristan freman's creation but the twitter account SBUnfurled's

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/29/2024 6:48 am  #6

yak-rbc wrote:

this is not tristan freman's creation but the twitter account SBUnfurled's

You are correct. I should have explained that

4/29/2024 9:32 am  #7

This is like an alternate reality. They have a nice core players and they are really reloading. Thanks for the info Ray rich

4/29/2024 11:20 am  #8

I would like to understand more about this graphic, not to pour cold water on this but I don’t take too much away from it.

For the “lost” column it is clearly only counting players going into the portal. We obviously lost a ton in the form of Grant, Clark, and the rest of the graduates, but for the sake of this graphic we are only credited as having lost Nicholls, who had few minutes and this inflates our overall rank as we essentially lost no one. We all know this is not the case.

Can’t say I grasp what “OVR” and “MIN%” mean. I was thinking the one was minutes percentage, but how can that be in the hundreds? And is OVR some type of rank of the “MIN%” values amongst others on the list?

I don’t really know or understand how much any of this means.

4/29/2024 11:56 am  #9

Duques102 wrote:

I would like to understand more about this graphic, not to pour cold water on this but I don’t take too much away from it.

For the “lost” column it is clearly only counting players going into the portal. We obviously lost a ton in the form of Grant, Clark, and the rest of the graduates, but for the sake of this graphic we are only credited as having lost Nicholls, who had few minutes and this inflates our overall rank as we essentially lost no one. We all know this is not the case.

Can’t say I grasp what “OVR” and “MIN%” mean. I was thinking the one was minutes percentage, but how can that be in the hundreds? And is OVR some type of rank of the “MIN%” values amongst others on the list?

I don’t really know or understand how much any of this means.

I'm not sure what some of this stuff is either. But I would guess "OVR" has to do with average points scored per game in which the player(s) appeared. The "net OVR" is clearly the difference of portal gains minus losses. Hoping someone can interpret the "Mins" thing.

I do agree with Duques102 that the data is not very meaningful, for the reason he cited. I wouldn't guess the players transferring in would rank 6th in the Nation among incoming transfers, even though there is definitely talent in the incoming group.

Last edited by applecorps (4/29/2024 4:23 pm)

4/30/2024 2:05 pm  #10

After doing a little research, here are a few thoughts on this ranking/data.  These "Transfer Portal Rankins" were pulled together by @SBUnfurled - a St. Bonaventure and A10 fan. SBUnfurled: Who runs the account? – The Bona Venture (thebvnewspaper.com)

From what I have gathered, his methodology is fairly simple.  Using a combination of various basketball analytics sites and some sort of formula (see chart linked below), he has assigned a point value to every player (OVR) in D-1.  5.0 is the OVR value for an "average" player.  Regarding MIN%, this is simply a player percentage of his team's total minutes (for example, the Dukes played 37 games with no overtime games, so the most number of minutes that a player could have played would have been 1,480 minutes - 40 minutes a game - Jimmy and Dae Dae played in about 75% of the available minutes).

For each transfer coming into a team, he added up the player(s) OVR and MIN%; for each transfer leaving a team, he subtracted the player(s) OVR and MIN%.  These calculations resulted in the net team score.

The Dukes scored high since they currently have 4 good players transferring in and only 1 player (Nicholls) with a low OVR transferring out (Barba didn't qualify for an OVR or minutes).   

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKGC8BrXoAAEtjj?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

4/30/2024 2:53 pm  #11

Unfurled is one of the best accounts on "A10 twitter". His pregame charts and other graphs he creates regarding the transfer portal, etc. are second to none.

5/12/2024 5:34 pm  #12

FYI

Despite the question on how this rating goes
We are now #2

5/13/2024 9:05 pm  #13

Motor believe me I want to believe and they seemingly have grabbed a handful of talented ball players. However if you look at 24/7 they don't even mention Duquesne. I don't know

5/13/2024 9:08 pm  #14

5/13/2024 9:09 pm  #15

Btw what's this citizen (profanity)?

5/14/2024 6:22 am  #16

They have us with 0 commits.

5/14/2024 7:42 am  #17

WashPaRick wrote:

They have us with 0 commits.

It looks like if a player is not 3, 4, or 5-star in their ratings, then he is not considered a commitment at all and therefore gets a score of zero. Star ratings have not been that accurate historically anyway..

5/14/2024 7:44 am  #18

There is a lot of activity among power conference teams trading 3 and 4 star rated recruits. We are not in that world, hence no commits listed. But in the real world for us--Mid Majors, Atlantic 10-- we have done quite well.

Board footera