Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2014 6:25 am  #1

NLI Day

Anyone have insight into signings? If you don't want to post under your name, private message me. I'm a journalist and I know how to protect my sources.

4/16/2014 11:38 am  #2

Re: NLI Day

Looks like Rene Castro, Class os 2013 target and now Butler transfer is coming to Duquesne.

4/16/2014 11:40 am  #3

Rene Castro Info:  http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=8498

4/16/2014 11:51 am  #4

This is a good move. Castro will be a sophomore, when Mason and Colter are seniors. This will give us good depth in the backcourt, and will give us an experienced player after those two graduate. Good job Ferry. The trolls must be sick about this, but I'm sure they'll come and tell us that Castro is no good.

4/16/2014 12:03 pm  #5

Castro came out of the same prep school as Aaron Jackson - Worcester Academy.

Link to stats page at Butler:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66160/rene-castro

Here's his recruiting profile from ESPN:ESPN Analyst
Updated 05/01/2013
Strengths:
A playmaking guard who can score the ball in a variety of different ways, Castro is a combo-guard with an aggressive mindset. He loves to shake his defender with an inside-out dribble and is capable of going by to either side and either taking it to the rim or pulling up in the mid-range area. He has great speed with the ball in his hands in the open court and can instantaneously create tempo. Physically, he has good size, great length, and an already cut and fairly strong body.
Weaknesses:
Castro isn't a pure point guard because he is always trying to get his own shot off, monopolizes the ball at times, and doesn't make those around him better. He isn't an inherently selfish player, but doesn't handle the ball well enough where he can maintain his court vision while playing at full speed. Defensively, he needs to play with a little more intensity and utilize his physical tools better to change the game on that end of the floor.
Bottom Line:
Castro is a scoring combo-guard who can put the ball in the basket in a number of ways. If he can develop into more of a true point guard and learn to run the team while picking his spots more effectively his stock will only continue to rise.
Notes
Travel Team: BABC...Stanford, Harvard, Virginia and Georgetown are interested...2012 Gatorade Player of the Year in Massachusetts...

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (4/16/2014 12:04 pm)

4/16/2014 12:39 pm  #6

Ferry scores on the rebound!

Castro sounds like he can either be a go-to scorer at the two, or a better version of Colter at the point.

According to Steven Nesbitt, we're also looking at Jordan Stevens, a JUCO transfer from Southeastern Community College. Stevens is a 6-1 scoring guard.

I still don't see a pure one in the mix. We're over-recruiting at the two, which tells me Mason is really heading to the point. I'm still not sold on that. If we're willing to play with 11 guys next season (why not? We seem to do it most years), then why not grab Cook with the two kids who have committed. That could give us a starting five of Robinson/Watkins, McKoy, Gill, Mason and maybe Ridenour next year with Colter and Jones and Lewis off the bench, and Robinson/Watkins, Gill, Cook/Castro, Mason and Ridenour with a deep bench the year after. 

4/16/2014 1:05 pm  #7

Better late then never. Hope it's a busy couple of days for Duquesne recruiting but I'm guessing it will probably stretch out awhile.

4/16/2014 1:24 pm  #8

4/16/2014 2:00 pm  #9

Stevens looks like a player.

4/16/2014 3:38 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

This is a good move. Castro will be a sophomore, when Mason and Colter are seniors. This will give us good depth in the backcourt, and will give us an experienced player after those two graduate. Good job Ferry. The trolls must be sick about this, but I'm sure they'll come and tell us that Castro is no good.

Well don't want to disapoint you but his stats and review says selfish, ball hog, not a team player, 3.3 points a game at 8 minutes avg. of play as freshman on a losing team in a week new conference.. You continue to call me a troll because I don't have the T-ball mentallity of everyone is great, everyone should play, nobody keep score, everyone gets a trophey.

Not to mention that we will have Coulter, as ED would say, hurling 3's next year while this selfish ball hog sits in the stands and waits for his chance to do the same, yea 81 great depth!!

It do's get deep on this board but its not player depth, its poster denia,l wish in one hand and sh_t in the other and I'll tell you which one fills up first.

4/16/2014 4:05 pm  #11

Scotch, Castro is going to be a much better player than Colter. I think this is a good signing for us.

While I agree with you on the topic of wanting to see improvement at another position - AD - I think the answer is not the failure of Ferry as a coach, but rather his success. And sooner, rather than later.

The AD has some powerful people in his corner: Dr. Dougherty, and at least the board member who employs his wife. Additionally, he has a couple big-dollar donors in tow. And this year, DU has managed a couple A-10 titles (women's X-C and volleyball). The hiring of Ferry was a well-caclulated move because it had the support of Dr. D. and the board, and Ferry had enough success at LIU to justify the hiring. That's not to say that the firing of Ron Everhart was ever justified, at least in my mind. But despite what I or you may think, Dr. D. and the board were behind it.

So now if Ferry tanks, you have a tremendous setback for the program, but you have a well-positioned AD who will be looked to as a savior who can now bring in his pal Dino Gaudio, as he wanted to when Ron was fired. Or perhaps another coach, maybe one with a bigger name.

On the other hand, if Ferry wins big, and wins sooner rather than later, then the AD now has a shiny resume and friends in high places who will reluctantly provide great references for him as he sails off to a bigger job at a more prestigious conference.

You'll still have people here who are willing to reward the wrong type of behavior, but you'll have vacancies at the AD and coaching positions and the opportunity for another five year rebuilding program.

Now having said all that, I actually do want to see Ferry be suucessful, and sooner rather than later. I'm removed from all of the politics and I'll never get involved in any of that stuff ever again. I see it as too much aggravation, with little hope or opportunity for reward. I'm back to being just a fan. Just a fan who lives 350 miles away and just wants to follow what's going on. I don't want or need any inside information ever again, don't need to be buds with anyone within the athletic department, don't need to know anyone on any kind of personal basis. 

Just a fan. Same relationship I have with the Yanks, Steelers, Knicks and Rangers.

It's a good place and I'm happy to be here.

4/16/2014 4:28 pm  #12

ED I will private message you, unless you truly don't want to know, I base this on your statement earlier of protecting your sources as a journalist.

4/16/2014 4:30 pm  #13

Sir, thanks, but no inside info for me. I truly do not want to know.

4/16/2014 5:53 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Sir, thanks, but no inside info for me. I truly do not want to know.

Yea, I hate that I know what I know, its a dismal, embarrissing, frustrating position, that I want to scream from the mountain tops to relieve my Knowing,  You are wise enough, and cruel enough to not let me get this off my chest. 

respectfully:
Scotchngars

4/17/2014 7:26 am  #15

I'm glad we got Castro.   So I guess we are not signing that kid from Ohio?   What is his status, where did he sign? 

4/17/2014 11:40 am  #16

It is true that Castro will arrive with some question marks.  But, I have to believe that Ferry vetted him well before offering.  Here is a link in local Indy papers with comments from his teammates.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2014/02/17/butler-players-react-to-transfer-of-rene-castro/5563083/

4/17/2014 12:30 pm  #17

duqkurt wrote:

I'm glad we got Castro.   So I guess we are not signing that kid from Ohio?   What is his status, where did he sign? 

Waiting for signed NLIs from him and Powell, per Nesbitt.

4/20/2014 6:58 pm  #18

So this is the type of top-notch recruiting we get from Ferry? Castro gets tossed out of Butler for disciplinary reasons and Ferry, probably feeling the heaqt after last season, makes a desperation move that he can't even use until two years from now. Nice.

4/20/2014 8:27 pm  #19

rittersdiner wrote:

So this is the type of top-notch recruiting we get from Ferry? Castro gets tossed out of Butler for disciplinary reasons and Ferry, probably feeling the heaqt after last season, makes a desperation move that he can't even use until two years from now. Nice.

You can't be serious?! A player isn't happy because the coaches who recruited him left, so now the player is a bum. This is the same player folks were criticizing Ferry for not getting last year. I guess Ferry is supposed to be landing "one and dones".

4/21/2014 10:43 am  #20

I believe people should be forgiven and given a second chance for most things.  Now, if he continues to act up and the coach accepts that, well that is a different story.  But let him start over in another school.

4/21/2014 10:45 am  #21

rittersdiner wrote:

That's not an accurate statement.  Castro didn't get "tossed out of Butler", he left on his own accord; to find a better opportunity.  If you read the article from the Butler source, Castro's teammates had nothing negative to say about him.  Certainly losing the connection with the two coaches that recruited him, made Butler a shaky situation for him from the beginning.  When coaches recruit players and leave it is most common for those players to ask for a release before even attending that school.  To his credit, he tried to stick it out and it just wasn't working with the new coach.  Duquesne fans should behappy to get a player with Castro's ability, albeit with the caveat that he must sit out a year.

4/21/2014 11:41 am  #22

4/21/2014 10:55 pm  #23

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

That's not an accurate statement.  Castro didn't get "tossed out of Butler", he left on his own accord; to find a better opportunity.  If you read the article from the Butler source, Castro's teammates had nothing negative to say about him.  Certainly losing the connection with the two coaches that recruited him, made Butler a shaky situation for him from the beginning.  When coaches recruit players and leave it is most common for those players to ask for a release before even attending that school.  To his credit, he tried to stick it out and it just wasn't working with the new coach.  Duquesne fans should behappy to get a player with Castro's ability, albeit with the caveat that he must sit out a year.

From Nesbitt's story:
"He was dismissed from a team shootaround Feb. 11, according to the Indianapolis Star, and Butler coach Brandon Miller announced two days later that Castro had been suspended for "a disciplinary issue," his second suspension of the season. "

4/22/2014 8:11 am  #24

rittersdiner wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

From Nesbitt's story:
"He was dismissed from a team shootaround Feb. 11, according to the Indianapolis Star, and Butler coach Brandon Miller announced two days later that Castro had been suspended for "a disciplinary issue," his second suspension of the season. "

Being dismissed from a practice and being dismissed from the team are two completely different things.  You don't even know how many times players get thrown out of practices for various reasons, but I can tell you that it happens pretty often.  Sometimes the whole team gets thrown out of the gym during a bad practice; but that doesn't mean that the coach has dismissed the entire team from the program!  Bottom line, is  that he was welcome to stay with the program if he chose to do so.  Do you have a problem with Ferry bringing in talented players?  Are you afraid that Castro might be successful at Duquesne?

4/22/2014 9:25 am  #25

Bill Clark was kicked out of practice (and off the team) several times by RE.  That is a fact.  I'll take Bill Clark on my team anytime...you want choir boys or basketball players?  I'll take players.

JF and staff will get his attitude aligned if there's a problem (which I doubt there is).

Castro got hosed at Butler; unfortunate for the kid; great for us.

Board footera