Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2015 7:42 am  #1

St. Louis

This is a big game for thhe Dukes.  I agree with what FAM wrote in the other thread that I pasted below.

FAM wrote:
The test of St. Louis.  Playing an excellent team is always a challenge and a test - and beating GW and Dayton -well two unexpected wins.  But measuring a program has many tests...one being can you beat a team that is not better than you on paper, and off of paper I think the Dukes are better than St. Louis.  Let's not pretend that Dayton probably thought "they should" have beaten Duquesne.  I am not saying that Duquesne is going into the St. Louis game at all thinking "they should" beat them, but they do know their record is not that stellar.  By the same token, I'll bet you a nickel that St. Louis is going into this game thinking they are going up against a team that has a poor record, a team that was up for Dayton and beat them, and maybe, just maybe Duquesne won't be up for this game and St. Louis can beat them - of course we all know the "On any given day" mantra.  So, I am placing a huge importance on this game - and I am going to say coaching wise.  Will Ferry be able to get the Dukes up for St. Louis which is probably thinking here is one they definitely can win.  I hope Ferry does have the Dukes up for this game.

2/25/2015 8:14 am  #2

Re: St. Louis

When you lose 16 games with at. Least 5 to go, you must not think you are better than any team you face,
Strap in on and go play hard.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/25/2015 7:16 pm  #3

Great start by the Dukes.  Mason and Colter really seem to be jelling together as a backcourt unit now.  Darius is doing well too.  My God is the one announcer terrible though.  He has no idea who the players are!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

2/25/2015 9:01 pm  #4

The revenge tour continues.  Keep it going Dukes, let's get the Bonnies next!

Did anyone else have a problem with the internet feed?

Last edited by CLK (2/25/2015 9:03 pm)

2/25/2015 9:04 pm  #5

One more win to avoid 20 losses. Three more to equal last year's win total. (Hey, we have to look for small positives)

2/25/2015 9:16 pm  #6

Missed the game but box score tells a lot, Mason filling up stat sheets like MCConnell did except scores more and can hit the three, jones seems to be breaking out and look at the free throw percentage!

It is nicer when they win😏, good for the kids.

A diehard fan since 1961

2/25/2015 9:33 pm  #7

Nice win - we would have lost this one at the beginning of the year.  Definitely improvement over the last month.  Nice job.  I really liked the play of Robinson and Lewis.  If they can work hard over the summer they will make an impact.

2/25/2015 9:36 pm  #8

When you get used to winning, you begin to expect to win. Steal one of the road games, upset Davidson, and then win a game in Brooklyn, and it would remove quite a bit of the bad taste from this season. 7-11 in the league would only be one game below what I was expecting the league record to be (8-10).

2/25/2015 10:02 pm  #9

Coach Ferry was on with Zeise after the game on the Fan. I missed most of it. Paul asked him about recruiting and I didn't hear what coach had to say. Anyone catch that?

2/25/2015 10:37 pm  #10

Rick, JF said basically that we had one commit - Nakye Sanders - but that in this day and age with all the transfers you have to keep constantly monitoring what else is out there.  Not much else other than a little bit about Sanders.

2/25/2015 11:10 pm  #11

duq81 wrote:

One more win to avoid 20 losses. Three more to equal last year's win total. (Hey, we have to look for small positives)

Ferry should be fired!!! This defense is just a joke. These Dukes are just running over teams offensively and this defensive just sucks!!!  Ferry is the 43 Highest Paid Coach in D-1 and we have the 350th lowest defense in D-1 ?? And with all his excuses?  This game is just painful to watch. Ferry's defense gave St.L. every chance, all game, to score, or miss, but gave the Duke only one chance, only,  to over run the opponent OFFENSIVELY or lose. Ferry is the 43 Highest paid coach in all of D-1??? start coaching D-1 Ball!!!  Ferry you suck !!  Not the players, you Ferry, and that AD you rode in on !!!

Last edited by NapaDuke (2/26/2015 3:12 am)

2/25/2015 11:11 pm  #12

rogabee wrote:

Rick, JF said basically that we had one commit - Nakye Sanders - but that in this day and age with all the transfers you have to keep constantly monitoring what else is out there.  Not much else other than a little bit about Sanders.

Thanks

2/25/2015 11:49 pm  #13

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ferry should be fire!!! This defense is just a joke. These Dukes are just running over teams offensively and this defensive just sucks!!!  Ferry is the 43 Highest Paid Coach in D-1 and we have the 350th lowest defense in D-1 ?? And with all his excuses?  This game is just painful to watch. Ferry's defense gave St.L. every chance, all game, to score, or miss, but gave the Duke only one chance, only,  to over run the opponent OFFENSIVELY or lose. Ferry is the 43 Highest paid coach in all of D-1??? start coaching D-1 Ball!!!  Ferry you suck !!  Not the players, you Ferry, and that AD you rode in on !!!

Where are you getting that he's the 43rd highest paid coach in the country?

2/25/2015 11:52 pm  #14

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Ferry should be fire!!! This defense is just a joke. These Dukes are just running over teams offensively and this defensive just sucks!!!  Ferry is the 43 Highest Paid Coach in D-1 and we have the 350th lowest defense in D-1 ?? And with all his excuses?  This game is just painful to watch. Ferry's defense gave St.L. every chance, all game, to score, or miss, but gave the Duke only one chance, only,  to over run the opponent OFFENSIVELY or lose. Ferry is the 43 Highest paid coach in all of D-1??? start coaching D-1 Ball!!!  Ferry you suck !!  Not the players, you Ferry, and that AD you rode in on !!!

You're beginning to sound like a troll. Every post is the same diatribe.

2/25/2015 11:55 pm  #15

steve19981 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

There is no way on earth Ferry is the 43rd highest paid coach in D1. Nearly every P5 coach makes a million dollars, and then there are the coaches of the better non P5 teams, like Nova, VCU, and Gonzaga, who are over a million.

2/26/2015 12:03 am  #16

OK, I figured it out. This Einstein is looking at a list of the salaries of the 68 coaches who made the NCAA's last year. 42 of the 68 make more money than Ferry. 10 more are at private schools that decline to tell what they're paying,

By the way, every P5 coach on the list makes well over a million dollars.
If you took the coaches in the top 10 leagues, I would bet the house that Ferry is not in the top half of coaches salaries, and I wouldn't be shocked if he was in the bottom quarter.

2/26/2015 12:21 am  #17

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Easy..... 2 wins in a row for the dukes playing their best ball of the season. Think Ferry is doing a good job with this group. Players are knowing their roles. Let's beat the Bonnies!

2/26/2015 12:36 am  #18

duq81 wrote:

OK, I figured it out. This Einstein is looking at a list of the salaries of the 68 coaches who made the NCAA's last year. 42 of the 68 make more money than Ferry. 10 more are at private schools that decline to tell what they're paying,

It's a shame you don't have a face palm smiley. This one probably comes the closest to how I'm feeling right now.

2/26/2015 2:49 am  #19

steve19981 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Google Jim Ferry Salary then select 50 top paid coaches in NCAA BB he comes up 43.  We win at home more because the opponents are missing than because of our defense. Anyone notice we are 1 and 9 on their home courts?  Our offense is fast and good enough, but Ferry just screwing with us with this defense. We should have blown this team offthe court.

2/26/2015 2:52 am  #20

Steel city AJ wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Easy..... 2 wins in a row for the dukes playing their best ball of the season. Think Ferry is doing a good job with this group. Players are knowing their roles. Let's beat the Bonnies!

Ferry comes back with this defense next year, expect the same record next year, especially on the road. You don't see it? Then you just don't see it. 

2/26/2015 3:01 am  #21

steve19981 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

It's a shame you don't have a face palm smiley. This one probably comes the closest to how I'm feeling right now.

And that doesn't mean he isn't over paid for the crap D we are watching?  He's on the list, he's over paid and it's one more game we depended on the opponent just missing the shots for us to  have an opportunity to win. Don't see it? Then you don't.  These kids are capable of doing more on defense than sitting back in this zone and waiting for the opponent to make a move and hopefully miss the shot.  That's all that's going on here.  Ferry's Dukes are ranked near the bottom on D-1 in defense and it shows, not the players, the coach. 

2/26/2015 3:08 am  #22

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Sorry, not a troll, it's nice to win, but when yousee these kids develope offensively to the point they could beat anyone but plays this defense. The biggest story about this team is their home record vs away? Look at this defense?  1 and 9 on the road,  If they can hit wide open shots like on their home court, we lose. that's this defense. No pressure, that's all.   

2/26/2015 5:55 am  #23

what ive really liked about the last thee wins is the change in attitude/mentality. Especially in the RI, StBona, VCU, and Umass games, I felt they were playing to not lose. In the dayton, GW, and StL game, I felt they were playing like they expected to win and it seemed like they kept their foot on the throat instead of slowing down and letting team back in it.
good string of hoops from dukes. very well coached too.

2/26/2015 6:46 am  #24

NapaDuke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

NapaDuke wrote:

Sorry, not a troll, it's nice to win, but when yousee these kids develope offensively to the point they could beat anyone but plays this defense. The biggest story about this team is their home record vs away? Look at this defense?  1 and 9 on the road,  If they can hit wide open shots like on their home court, we lose. that's this defense. No pressure, that's all.   

Everyone knows the defense is a problem. We don't need to get beat over the head with it on every post.

2/26/2015 8:02 am  #25

I think we need to enjoy the moment, and root for this team down the stretch.  Our guys are playing better.  Mason and Colter have become the leaders this team needed.  Mason playing his best basketball right now.   Kudos to McCoy, Jones and Gill they are playing a lot better. The shorten rotation has made for a lot better chemistry.  There is no question that the coaching this year has been bad, but let's see how the season plays out.  There will be time to critique this season. 

Board footera