Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2015 7:42 am  #1

Penn State

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein   21m21 minutes ago Duquesne will host Penn State on Friday 11/20/15 at the Consol Energy Center, source told @CBSSports

5/18/2015 8:58 am  #2

Re: Penn State

That is a good game to place in the Consol. Lot's of Penn State fans will be there to help the gate. (Hey their money in our coffers is green, not blue and white)

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (5/18/2015 8:58 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/18/2015 10:09 am  #3

Tejas_Duke wrote:

That is a good game to place in the Consol. Lot's of Penn State fans will be there to help the gate. (Hey their money in our coffers is green, not blue and white)

They don't have any fans. More than likely they won't come to Palumbo. The bigger dogs set the rules, so if you want to play P5 schools, you do what they tell you, or be happy playing the likes of NJIT.

5/18/2015 10:26 am  #4

I think Jon Rothstein is making our schedule ...

Hey Jon, get me a Saturday game at Lafayette or Lehigh!

5/18/2015 1:07 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Hell, let's go all out and ask for a game at Seton Hall. You'd have to drive farther, but oh, what a great drive home it would be after knocking them off.

5/18/2015 2:11 pm  #6

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

They don't have any fans. More than likely they won't come to Palumbo. The bigger dogs set the rules, so if you want to play P5 schools, you do what they tell you, or be happy playing the likes of NJIT.

We have NO ROOM to talk about other teams having fans!  There are probably 500,000 PSU alumni within two hours of Pittsburgh. If 1% of those people cared to show up for a game, it would dwarf 90% of our home crowds.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/18/2015 3:00 pm  #7

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

We have NO ROOM to talk about other teams having fans!  There are probably 500,000 PSU alumni within two hours of Pittsburgh. If 1% of those people cared to show up for a game, it would dwarf 90% of our home crowds.

The problem is few of those fans care about PSU hoops. This is a game that should be at Palumbo, but PSU probablt said "no way", which is what they should do. If you have clout, you ought to use it.

5/18/2015 3:00 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Hell, let's go all out and ask for a game at Seton Hall. You'd have to drive farther, but oh, what a great drive home it would be after knocking them off.

That one's tricky because I've got a lot of friends who are SHUlumni. I'd hate to lose that one and have to listen to those peckerheads. A Saturday would be OK; a night game would be a britch because of the hour-plus drive. Lehigh or Lafayette, I could scare up a bunch of Lehigh Valley alumni, and we could certainly make more noise than a bunch of kids who would rather be studying electrical engineering.

5/18/2015 4:58 pm  #9

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

That one's tricky because I've got a lot of friends who are SHUlumni. I'd hate to lose that one and have to listen to those peckerheads. .

Of course think about them having to live with you if we won that game.

5/18/2015 5:05 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

The problem is few of those fans care about PSU hoops. This is a game that should be at Palumbo, but PSU probablt said "no way", which is what they should do. If you have clout, you ought to use it.

Yes, one percent would count as "few" and that doesn't invalidate my point. I bet more than 2% of the alumni of that school care about hoops.  My niece just got married and she and her husband are Penn State grads and, of the people I talked to or heard anyway, they take pride in all their Nitany Lion sports.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/18/2015 7:02 pm  #11

Sad to say like just about every game at Consol it will be like a road game. I would like to see some stats but having seem every game we have played there it just seems like we shot a lower percentage overall. It never feels like a home game.

5/18/2015 7:58 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

That one's tricky because I've got a lot of friends who are SHUlumni. I'd hate to lose that one and have to listen to those peckerheads. .

Of course think about them having to live with you if we won that game.

I still haven't lived down the NJIT game. 

5/18/2015 8:04 pm  #13

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Yes, one percent would count as "few" and that doesn't invalidate my point. I bet more than 2% of the alumni of that school care about hoops. My niece just got married and she and her husband are Penn State grads and, of the people I talked to or heard anyway, they take pride in all their Nitany Lion sports.

Well, the cult is alive and well up there. Glad we don't have a stain like that on our school.

5/19/2015 10:17 am  #14

We just have a little shooting to remember.

5/19/2015 10:44 am  #15

Bilgy wrote:

We just have a little shooting to remember.

It wasn't one of ours that was arrested. Ours was a tragedy; that was a travesty.

5/19/2015 2:55 pm  #16

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Yes, one percent would count as "few" and that doesn't invalidate my point. I bet more than 2% of the alumni of that school care about hoops. My niece just got married and she and her husband are Penn State grads and, of the people I talked to or heard anyway, they take pride in all their Nitany Lion sports.

Well, the cult is alive and well up there. Glad we don't have a stain like that on our school.

What stain?  Hey, I hate the Penn State football program and what happened up there, and hate the fact that their punishments were lifted, but ridiculing a fan base for supporting their teams is something that I am not going to do, and, as I have said, none of us with our four decades of athletic incompetence in just about every sport, including the two that reallly matter, have any room to talk.

Aren't you one of the "Eat S**t Pitt" Brigade, who ridiculously think that we are still some kind of rival or equal program to them?  Talk like that from DU fans just makes us look all the more out of touch and stupid!  To paraphrase Pulp Fiction when it comes to succesful college hoops, Pitt and us are not in the same ball park, not the same league, not even the same BLEEPING sport!

That rivarly means nothing right now. It's not a rivalry when one side NEVER wins.  Texas and Rice playing football for about 40 years comes to mind.  That rivaly can mean something again, but we have to have a program that reaches the next level. Until then I repeat ad nauseum that the "Eat...Pitt" guys make us look really stupid!

And, much as I hate that football team, what happened and how they covered it up, I am not going to mock any fans of any school for supporting their teams. I wish and have wished for forty some years that we had something to cheer like that about!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/19/2015 3:24 pm  #17

You got the wrong guy, Tejas. I'm the EAT <RHYMES WITH PITT> PITT guy.

You're too young to know this, but it is a rivalry. Otherwise, we wouldn't get lambasted in the media over it every year despite our David vs. Goliath position.

EAT <RHYMES WITH PITT> PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/19/2015 4:07 pm  #18

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

What stain?  Hey, I hate the Penn State football program and what happened up there, and hate the fact that their punishments were lifted, but ridiculing a fan base for supporting their teams is something that I am not going to do, and, as I have said, none of us with our four decades of athletic incompetence in just about every sport, including the two that reallly matter, have any room to talk.

Aren't you one of the "Eat S**t Pitt" Brigade, who ridiculously think that we are still some kind of rival or equal program to them?  Talk like that from DU fans just makes us look all the more out of touch and stupid!  To paraphrase Pulp Fiction when it comes to succesful college hoops, Pitt and us are not in the same ball park, not the same league, not even the same BLEEPING sport!

That rivarly means nothing right now. It's not a rivalry when one side NEVER wins.  Texas and Rice playing football for about 40 years comes to mind.  That rivaly can mean something again, but we have to have a program that reaches the next level. Until then I repeat ad nauseum that the "Eat...Pitt" guys make us look really stupid!

And, much as I hate that football team, what happened and how they covered it up, I am not going to mock any fans of any school for supporting their teams. I wish and have wished for forty some years that we had something to cheer like that about!

A fan base that rioted when Joepa was fired (about 10 years too late). A fan base that feels the football program, and Joepa are more important than the young men who has an unspeakable act done to them. Wonder how you'd feel if some man had done those things to you, and someone who was in a position to stop it passed the buck, because he didn't want to get his hands dirty?

5/19/2015 4:44 pm  #19

ElDuque wrote:

You're too young to know this, but it is a rivalry. Otherwise, we wouldn't get lambasted in the media over it every year despite our David vs. Goliath position.

I said, "one of" not "the only guy."  Wow old enough to remember, when it mattered. Do they allow you solid food in the nursing home?  :-)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/19/2015 4:49 pm  #20

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

A fan base that rioted when Joepa was fired (about 10 years too late). A fan base that feels the football program, and Joepa are more important than the young men who has an unspeakable act done to them. Wonder how you'd feel if some man had done those things to you, and someone who was in a position to stop it passed the buck, because he didn't want to get his hands dirty?

Every fan base has its yahoos and idiots.  I have had a lot of Penn State fans with ashes in their mouths  admit that they were a bit too sanctimonious back in the day, when I confronted them with it.  Most good fans were disgusted at what happened and how the Athletic Department got out of control.  Not every Penn State fan was fighting for the statue, nor did they feel Paterno and the program were in any way more important than violated children.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/19/2015 6:52 pm  #21

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I said, "one of" not "the only guy." Wow old enough to remember, when it mattered. Do they allow you solid food in the nursing home? :-)

Well, I've never been an E-S-Pitt guy. I actually don't even root against them anymore. Makes hoops season much more enjoyable since they tend to win a lot.

5/19/2015 7:09 pm  #22

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I said, "one of" not "the only guy."  Wow old enough to remember, when it mattered. Do they allow you solid food in the nursing home?  :-)

They do. Apparently softer fare is eaten in Oakland.

5/20/2015 8:32 am  #23

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I said, "one of" not "the only guy." Wow old enough to remember, when it mattered. Do they allow you solid food in the nursing home? :-)

Well, I've never been an E-S-Pitt guy. I actually don't even root against them anymore. Makes hoops season much more enjoyable since they tend to win a lot.

Apologies for misjudging your views in this matter. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/21/2015 4:37 pm  #24

On the Pitt v Duquesne, once Pitt went to Big East it was hard to compete, when Smith, Gore and Jerome Lane showed up the Dukes were so out classed in ability, the 25 point blow outs began.

I hope they succeed in the ACC but seem to be over matched with current type of players Jamie has.

I have always liked to see all Pgh area sports teams do well, and I hope Duquesne can break out this year and get back to plus 500 ball.

A diehard fan since 1961

5/21/2015 4:52 pm  #25

I hope Pitt loses every game.
In every sport.
Forever and always.
Eat $#!+ Pitt!

Board footera