Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/01/2015 6:11 pm  #1

What should Ferry do with the open scholarships?

In my opinion the biggest needs are at the 3 and 4 spots.  Sanders may help at the 4 if he as good a rebounder as advertised, but probably not right away.  So we might look for a JUCO relpacement for McKoy (hopefully someone with shot blocking shills). I would like to see Powell develop a mid range shot, and occasionally be able to hit the trey.  He is terrific at driving the ball and making lay ups.  He could be really dangerous if he can be developed to play the 3.  But since that is uncertain I think Ferry needs to find someone with the size (6'7") and skill set to play the SF position. 

Last edited by CLK (4/01/2015 6:14 pm)

4/01/2015 6:32 pm  #2

Re: What should Ferry do with the open scholarships?

I'd like to get a couple of players who are improvements on what we have at least one of which is a 4 or 5.  If we pick up a 5 then Robinson could play the 4. Not sure Powell will ever turn into a 3 from what he's shown so far. I'm not sold on the terrific at driving for Powell. Lot of traveling calls against him.

4/01/2015 6:39 pm  #3

this is all a pipe dream, as anyone who is probably a difference maker will most likely go to a team with ncaa aspirations, but i wish for:
1. best available grad transfer at any position-a difference maker-instant starter ala ovie soko
2. solid juco big guy
3. transfer guard who will sit out next year but be ready when colter and mason graduate
4. freshman guard to develop slowly
5. best available d1 a10 prospect, any position.

i am hoping coach rhodes gets healthy and can get back to the hardwood.
lewis is still a project, but he came a long way. powell robinson and sanders have more potential and i think if they make a similar jump to what lewis did, we will be fine underneath.

i also think he needs to shuffle coaching staff with a defensive minded former headcoach or top assistant and they need to do something with strength and conditioning program too.

with all that said, im sure we will end up with a smurf and a project

4/01/2015 8:01 pm  #4

I have to agree with you guys. A plug and play big, e.g., a beast who can defend and rebound, would help. A tall guard who can press and defend and shut down threes would help. A tough 6-5 kid who's always wiping the floor with his uni, who sets picks and does all the dirty work. Someone who brings some on-court leadership, which we really lack. Yeah, some wiseguy come back and tell me I'm talking about a bunch of role players. These are all vital pieces that we're sadly lacking.

4/01/2015 10:06 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

I have to agree with you guys. A plug and play big, e.g., a beast who can defend and rebound, would help. A tall guard who can press and defend and shut down threes would help. A tough 6-5 kid who's always wiping the floor with his uni, who sets picks and does all the dirty work. Someone who brings some on-court leadership, which we really lack. Yeah, some wiseguy come back and tell me I'm talking about a bunch of role players. These are all vital pieces that we're sadly lacking.

You can find those players if you are looking. Most defensive players are constant, and often on the bench on bigger teams that are deep with big-time offensive stars. Need recruiting that looks for either JC players, or big program bench players that need a change that fit. But you have to be doing the work to look. The question is, IS this coaching staff  looking for those pieces? 

4/02/2015 8:03 am  #6

Rick, I agree that Powell at times tried to do too much and the results were turnovers.  He was a freshman and some of that is expected.  But in my opinion he also showed flashes of his athletic ability and made some spectacular plays taking it to the hoop. He needs to develop a mid range jumper and be able to step out and make the trey.  I don't know if he can develop that part of his game, but if he could I think he could be a nice option at the SF position. 

4/02/2015 8:05 pm  #7

If he can develop his game in the way you mention with his athletic ability he'll be a heck of  a player. 

4/02/2015 9:16 pm  #8

CLK wrote:

But since that is uncertain I think Ferry needs to find someone with the size (6'7") and skill set to play the SF position. 

I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon nor am I expecting Powell to eventually move to the three.  Ferry's system is based on having the three be more of a guard than a true forward.  You may not like the system - and that's certainly up for debate - but I don't see Ferry going with size above other skillsets at the three.

4/02/2015 9:35 pm  #9

rogabee wrote:

CLK wrote:

But since that is uncertain I think Ferry needs to find someone with the size (6'7") and skill set to play the SF position. 

I'm not expecting that to happen anytime soon nor am I expecting Powell to eventually move to the three.  Ferry's system is based on having the three be more of a guard than a true forward.  You may not like the system - and that's certainly up for debate - but I don't see Ferry going with size above other skillsets at the three.

Size to replace what skill sets? Small forwards should be good shooters who can also help beat full court pressure. So what would be lost by putting a true forward-sized player at the 3?

4/03/2015 11:14 am  #10

applecorps wrote:

rogabee wrote:

CLK wrote:

Size to replace what skill sets? Small forwards should be good shooters who can also help beat full court pressure. So what would be lost by putting a true forward-sized player at the 3?

Ferry's system?  What system?  I really struggle to understand what Ferry is building here.  Our guards are undersized and the opposition just shoots over them in the zone we played exclusively last year.  We have an undersized 3 who is a poor ball handler and led the team in turnovers and is a poor three point shooter.  Next year if Gill starts at the 4 he will have someone who  better than half of his shot attemps are from three point territory (not put back attempts).  Both of the 5's are better suited for half court as opposed to a Soko type who could rebound and lead the fast break.   So when you say "Ferry's System" I can't even see where he has a system,  It all seems "hodgepodge" to me.

Last edited by CLK (4/03/2015 12:22 pm)

4/03/2015 5:19 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

applecorps wrote:

rogabee wrote:

Ferry's system?  What system?  I really struggle to understand what Ferry is building here.  Our guards are undersized and the opposition just shoots over them in the zone we played exclusively last year.  We have an undersized 3 who is a poor ball handler and led the team in turnovers and is a poor three point shooter.  Next year if Gill starts at the 4 he will have someone who  better than half of his shot attemps are from three point territory (not put back attempts).  Both of the 5's are better suited for half court as opposed to a Soko type who could rebound and lead the fast break.   So when you say "Ferry's System" I can't even see where he has a system,  It all seems "hodgepodge" to me.

Go back and watch video of his LIU days.  There is a system. 

Everhart left him with nothing.  It will take time. 

4/03/2015 5:31 pm  #12

Well, so far he has 3 losing seasons and this year were all of his players.  I'd say sell them on EBAY to another team who will give us a coach who can teach Defense.

4/03/2015 6:40 pm  #13

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

applecorps wrote:

WEB, I am not buying the blame it on Ron excuse. I am also tired of hearing what Ferry did at LIU.  It is time for Ferry to take ownership and show he is capable of building a program here, now, at Duquesne, in the Atlantic 10. If my math is correct with this recruiting class he will have recruited 20 of his own players (including Soko and Mckoy who graduated). Yet we hear comments like I want to play man but the guys I have are not capable of doing that.  If he wanted to play man he had 17 chances to recruit players to that system. With that many recruiting chances we should be seeing some signs of improvement (not the worst defensive team in the A10), and some signs of a team identity that he is building.  I don't see it.  As I said above, it all seems to be a "hodgepodge" to me.

Last edited by CLK (4/03/2015 6:42 pm)

4/03/2015 8:00 pm  #14

CLK YOU ARE 100% correct.

4/03/2015 10:43 pm  #15

Ferry had all of his own players this season. Playing what might be the weakest non-conference schedule in Duquesne's history, he won exactly ONE more game against D1 opponents in the regular season than he did his first year. Either he sucks, his recruits suck, or both.

Sorry Web, that's as simple as I can make it for you.

Ferry has no pedigree. Look at where he was before LIU, look at his atrocious record his first 8 seasons there. That's what you put your faith in Web. It will not get better any time soon.

4/04/2015 7:48 am  #16

Being a Duquesne basketball fan, I hope Ferry succeeds.  However, the "it takes time to build a program" and "we are young" lines have grown old to the point that I can't even stand to watch, listen to or read an interview with him.  Does he think everyone, except him, who watches basketball is stupid?  So far, other than Soko, he hasn't recruited any top level A-10 talent period.  The players he tries to sell as really good players just aren't that good--plain and simple.  If I am wrong about the talent level, then he and his 12 assistants are the world's worst coaches.   As has been said a thousand times, next year he is going to play the same guys primarily and they might win a couple more games but I wouldn't expect more than that--and they will do it without the 4 season tickets I have bought for the last 10 years.  

I also agree with CLK.  As far as having to reload, there are at least two teams in the Final Four that reload every year and seem to do ok.

4/04/2015 7:57 am  #17

theprofessor1099 wrote:

Being a Duquesne basketball fan, I hope Ferry succeeds.  However, the "it takes time to build a program" and "we are young" lines have grown old to the point that I can't even stand to watch, listen to or read an interview with him.  Does he think everyone, except him, who watches basketball is stupid?  So far, other than Soko, he hasn't recruited any top level A-10 talent period.  The players he tries to sell as really good players just aren't that good--plain and simple.  If I am wrong about the talent level, then he and his 12 assistants are the world's worst coaches.   As has been said a thousand times, next year he is going to play the same guys primarily and they might win a couple more games but I wouldn't expect more than that--and they will do it without the 4 season tickets I have bought for the last 10 years.  

I also agree with CLK.  As far as having to reload, there are at least two teams in the Final Four that reload every year and seem to do ok.

Sir, I don't know who you are, but I like you. Truth well told.

4/04/2015 11:11 am  #18

CLK wrote:

WEB wrote:

CLK wrote:

WEB, I am not buying the blame it on Ron excuse. I am also tired of hearing what Ferry did at LIU.  It is time for Ferry to take ownership and show he is capable of building a program here, now, at Duquesne, in the Atlantic 10. If my math is correct with this recruiting class he will have recruited 20 of his own players (including Soko and Mckoy who graduated). Yet we hear comments like I want to play man but the guys I have are not capable of doing that.  If he wanted to play man he had 17 chances to recruit players to that system. With that many recruiting chances we should be seeing some signs of improvement (not the worst defensive team in the A10), and some signs of a team identity that he is building.  I don't see it.  As I said above, it all seems to be a "hodgepodge" to me.

I'm not telling you how to think.  I believe Ron crippled this program and that it will take Ferry time to recover.  He became the coach one day after signing day.  He had 2 classes, of which his best recruit isn't even eligible yet. 

So you can think whatever you want.  But, to me, Ron crippled the program. 

4/04/2015 11:13 am  #19

ElDuque wrote:

Ferry had all of his own players this season. Playing what might be the weakest non-conference schedule in Duquesne's history, he won exactly ONE more game against D1 opponents in the regular season than he did his first year. Either he sucks, his recruits suck, or both.

Ferry has no pedigree. Look at where he was before LIU, look at his atrocious record his first 8 seasons there. That's what you put your faith in Web. It will not get better any time soon.

We fired a coach who was 0 for 18 at making the NCAA Tournament for a guy who knows how to make it.  Twist that one. 

Our previous coach had a pedigree worse than Jim Ferry's.  0 for 18 in NCAA Tournament tries to be exact. 

4/04/2015 12:16 pm  #20

Web, if Ferry were still at LIU, where do you think he'd finish now? I think Andy Toole would be eating his lunch.

Oh, wait, he already is!

4/04/2015 1:58 pm  #21

ElDuque wrote:

Web, if Ferry were still at LIU, where do you think he'd finish now? I think Andy Toole would be eating his lunch.

Oh, wait, he already is!

Well, to be fair, Toole was eating Ron's lunch as well. I'm kind of glad he stayed at RMU. Maybe we can get him in a year or two if things don't improve.

4/04/2015 2:01 pm  #22

WEB wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

We fired a coach who was 0 for 18 at making the NCAA Tournament for a guy who knows how to make it.  Twist that one. 

Our previous coach had a pedigree worse than Jim Ferry's.  0 for 18 in NCAA Tournament tries to be exact. 

Hey WEB, are you really Greg Amodio? Or did Ron Everhart do something to you or somebody in your family?? You are way out of line and overboard in your criticism of a coach who was more successful here than any other coach in the last 30 years. Think what you want. He did not deserve to be fired when it was done. 

Last edited by Westender (4/04/2015 3:26 pm)

4/04/2015 3:27 pm  #23

WEB, honestly I don't care what you believe either.  The stats speak for themselves.  Ferry's team played better defense with Ron's left overs in his first year than he did in his third year with his scholarship players. This is after recruiting 17 of his own players.  WaspaRick previously posted this data from Pomeroy on defensive efficiency.  I updated the 2015 year end number from Pomeroy. 

2015 – Ferry    – 110.8 - #322 in country
2014 – Ferry    – 108.6 - #243 in country
2013 – Ferry    – 105.8 - #266 in country

Here's our "Conference Only" defensive stats from Pomeroy:
- Last (14th) in Conference in Defensive Efficiency giving up 1.154 points per possession (Rhode Island #1 at .927; SLU #13 at 1.081)
- Last (14th) in Conference in Forcing Turnovers (Turnover %) at 14.1% (VCU #1 at 23.9%; GW #13 at 15.9%)
- Last (14th) in Conference in preventing Offensive Rebounts (OR ) at 33.4% - one out of every 3 shots missed by the opponents were rebounded not grabbed by the Dukes (Dayton #1 at 26.7%; Richmond #13 at 32.4%)
- Last (14th) in 3 point % allowed at 38.6% (Richmond #1 at 26.0%; George Mason #13 at 36.9%)

Time for Ferry to take ownership.  No more excuses.  Next year will be his 4th year.

Last edited by CLK (4/04/2015 3:31 pm)

4/04/2015 6:14 pm  #24

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Oh, wait, he already is!

Well, to be fair, Toole was eating Ron's lunch as well. I'm kind of glad he stayed at RMU. Maybe we can get him in a year or two if things don't improve.

We finally have a coach that can beat Robert Morris. At least that WAS the mantra until it became "never mind that his record is under .500; Ferry has been to the NCAA Tournament."

Board footera