Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2012 8:28 pm  #1

Vanessa Abel/Carly Vendemia

I was listening to the SMS show this evening.  And there is still hope that Vanessa could return to DU this season.

The NCAA still has not ruled on her medical redshirt for a sixth year.  SMS said she didn't know when they would rule, but Vanessa is working out on her own and in grad school.

If anyone needed more evidence on the joke that the NCAA has become, well it is right there.   Seriously either let her play or tell her no, but just make a decision.

On Carly - she needs surgery again next week for another stress fracture.   That is not good news at all.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/16/2012 9:50 am)

11/16/2012 9:44 am  #2

Re: Vanessa Abel/Carly Vendemia

RIght about the NCAA, a total joke.  If this was a UCONN or Baylor player we would have a ruling in a timely manner; and almost guaranteed it would be favorable. 
The important thing about Carly is to get the surgery done correctly this time.  I hope she can return this year, as she would really help the team; but if not she would certainly qualify for a medical redshirt.

11/16/2012 12:14 pm  #3

Re: Vanessa Abel/Carly Vendemia

From what I know from some of Carly's family members, unfortunately the injury to her foot in the summer league has been causing her significant discomfort.  Because of the injury Carly has been limited to riding a stationary bike as part of her workouts.  Assuming that her surgery is successful, it seems that her return to playing for the Dukes this season would be very optimistic.  Aside from the proper healing of her foot, there are also the issues of her overall conditioning and actually being able to execute plays on the court with her teammates.

As someone who suffered a broken leg from a basketball injury during my senior year in high school resulting in my being in casts for more than 4 months and graduating on crutches, I can say the road to full recovery can take a good bit of  time.  My concern was that I still was limping when I started my freshman year in college after using a cane for most of the previous summer.  It wasn't until I received physical therapy during the Christmas break of my freshman year that I relearned how to walk properly and eventually eliminated the limp.  I was able to return to playing intramural basketball, but more importantly I could walk without a limp and only an occasional bit of discomfort.  Of course, medical knowledge and skill in dealing with sports-related injuries has advanced light years from what was known back in the mid-1960s.  Hopefully that advancement in medical knowledge and physical therapy will result in a permanent remedy for Carly's injury in a much shorter time than what I experienced.

For those who have seen the women's team play over the past few years, it's clear that Carly plays the game with a great deal of enthusiasm and emotion. I thought that she improved her game as last season progressed.  She no doubt looked forward to this season, her senior year, and one final opportunity to be on the first Duquesne women's team to play in the NCAA tournament.  But more important than returning to play basketball this season is that her surgery goes well and she is given plenty of time to heal.  If she doesn't play another game for the Dukes, but can walk and run and get on with her life's work without the pain she is currently experiencing, in the long run that might be the best for Carly.

Board footera