Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/08/2013 7:12 am  #26

Re: News flash 5th Pitt Basketball recruit to transfer in the last 2 years

Jeralta wrote:

Those picking on GA don't know business.

1) GA isn't rogue.  His actions align with the Board-approved strategic plan and President's expectations.
2) If the Board or Prez didn't want him he wouldn't be here.

As I've often said, I don't have a real problem with RE being let go, but the way it was apparently done is appalling. There was no need to do it that way. They should have let him go as soon as TJ decided to leave, if that was the decision.

1/08/2013 11:05 am  #27

It wasn't a shot at you.  It just boggles my mind how a message board is like a crazy person when it comes to emotions.  When we are winning, everyone is great, but the minute we lose, everyone goes nuts.  Your account was extremely upsetting, and I can't even imagine doing that to someone.  I sure hope that some of it isn't true, but I am by no means an insider so I have to believe you.  I think that Everhart should have been given another year to make our program great, but apparently Amodio didn't think that was true.   I loved Everhart, and has been stated numerous times, I wish him nothing but the best.  I've mentioned how much he helped the Red and Blue Crew and how he visited me in the hospital.  How could I not want him to succeed?  That said, what good does it do to bring it up constantly?  The post about the Pitt transfers was pointless and did nothing but stir trouble.  I have better things to do with my time than argue back and forth about a hiring/firing.  I can understand wanting Amodio to be gone.  If Ferry flops, I would assume we would get someone else.  This hiring is his last chance IMO. Until his results pan out, there is no sense in calling for his job.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/08/2013 11:08 am  #28

I will admit to not liking your post about the upcoming t shirt promotion.  That isn't on Amodio, that is on his marketing director who I know for a fact is working very hard.  She has a difficult job of trying to get students who are apathetic interested in college hoops.  Trust me, I know how hard that job is because I used to have to beg students to attend games with me.  I would sit in the lobbies and drag people down to the games.  The Crew is doing a promotion and a tailgate which I think is pretty good.  The marketing director cares and is trying, it's just damn near impossible to get students are Duquesne interested.  It sucks.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/08/2013 11:48 am  #29

Simms do you know the reason for the post? Google REs termination letter to CBS sports allegedly leaked by a board member I read it again. Are you proud the way this was handled especially what I RE did when you were sick! Yes I get the desire to win but if Mr gars brick by brick points are true it's not the Catholic or Duquesne way. In fact just your visit by RE & the team was one instance of many which went unreported. This guy was a people person one who knew what it took to rebuild this mess. GA has greatly improved the situation from the Colleary era but can he take Duquesne to the next level especially with the conference realignment? I guess time will tell but we have a huge void right now in regard to the alumni circling the wagons. This program can't afford this right now but it's the white elephant in the room. I know move on but it's hard when you saw what this guy stood for & did. I am a Duquesne guy 100% but I do not have to accept the way in which it was handled if I do shame on me. Go Dukes that's my university.
L

1/08/2013 2:41 pm  #30

Simms wrote:

I will admit to not liking your post about the upcoming t shirt promotion.  That isn't on Amodio, that is on his marketing director who I know for a fact is working very hard.  She has a difficult job of trying to get students who are apathetic interested in college hoops.  Trust me, I know how hard that job is because I used to have to beg students to attend games with me.  I would sit in the lobbies and drag people down to the games.  The Crew is doing a promotion and a tailgate which I think is pretty good.  The marketing director cares and is trying, it's just damn near impossible to get students are Duquesne interested.  It sucks.

This is Amodio, he hired her, she reports to him, he approves the spending on promotional ideas, its all him. He is the boss all report to him, so if a lousy T-shirt give away is all she came up with, and he OK"D the money to spend on the lousy T-shirts its all him. Iron duke has said before, its a job for life at Duquesne, no matter how much you fail nobody gets fired, except the hardest working most productive employee that they have had in the last 30 years.

It is the responsibility of the AD to support and promote the product, not undermine the most productive employee and fire him because his buddy did not get a job for life.

Jeralta, so Amodio followed the boards advice to fire RE and not leak but directly send the email to CBS sports.com web site 23 minutes after he left CD's office? We all know the first place the e-mail landed was Cincinnati, hmmm, wonder who worked there for years and has friends, then it went to CBS sports.com website, and who is a BB analyst for them, ohhhhhhh, Dino Gaudio, how convenient.  Thanks for your input, but I think you may have had to much eggnog during the holiday season.

1/08/2013 5:21 pm  #31

OK, I'll bite, Scotch. How do we all know the first place the infamous memo showed up was Cincinnati? I've seen that on this site a few times, but I honestly don't recall that part of the narrative. I can't find anything online that connects that memo to a media outlet in Cincinnati. I've searched the websites of the media outlets I'm familiar with in Cincinnati, nothing. From reconstructing the chain of events on that fateful day, it looks like unconfirmed reports first started coming out just before 11:30 a.m, March 23, 2012, via KDKA radio and Colin Dunlap's Twitter feed. Around noon, Duquesne formally announced the firing via press release on the goduquesne.com site, press conference at 2. At 12:39 p.m., Gary Parrish posted the Dougherty memo on CBSSports.com, saying that CBSSports.com had obtained the email Dougherty sent to the board. He claimed it was sent to the board "just before" the firing was announced. Parrish had broken the news of the firing, confirmed by RE himself, at 11:46 a.m., and he cited the Dougherty memo in that brief. Whether he had it at that point and was waiting for legal clearance to post it, or added the reference later, I can't tell. I thought maybe Parrish had Cincinnati connections, but he's based in Memphis and seems to have spent his entire professional career there, grew up in Mississippi. Minutes later, several other media outlets, including the Post-Gazette, posted the memo, citing CBSSports.com as the source. In all of our discussions on the Scout Forum that day, nothing ever came up about a media outlet in Cincinnati having the scoop first. Yet I keep reading on this board that there's where the memo first surfaced. Could you or someone fill me in, share a link, clarify what that means? If Amodio's as Machiavellian as you make him sound, and maybe he is for all I know, one would think he'd cover his tracks better than that.

And BTW, Dino Gaudio--arguably the most hated person in the recent history of Duquesne basketball--has worked as a college basketball analyst for ESPN pretty much since he was fired from Wake Forest in 2010. I can't find any record of him ever working for CBS Sports, though this isn't the first time someone has suggested on one of these boards that he did. As ESPN is the sports arm of ABC and a direct competitor to CBS Sports, I'm pretty sure it would be a conflict of interest for him to be a college basketball analyst for both at the same time. So that pretty much eliminates Dino as the conduit for the memo leak. Unless you think Amodio sent it to Dino and Dino decided to give the competition the scoop, but let's not get carried away with our conspiracy theories here...

1/08/2013 6:36 pm  #32

I'm not sure about everything in the above post but Dino Gaudio did studio commentating (half time, etc) for the CBS College Sports channel prior to ESPN.

Bill Rafferty and Jay Bilas work for both CBS and ESPN.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/08/2013 11:45 pm)

1/08/2013 10:22 pm  #33

Scotchngars, thanks.  In your narrative, you pulled together and confirmed many of the stories / rumors that I have heard from quite a few different sources.

1/09/2013 10:15 am  #34

You're right, Kurt, some of these guys do indeed have non-exclusive contracts. Bilas and Len Elmore do NCAA tourney games on CBS while working for ESPN the rest of the year. Dick Vitale's contract on the other hand does not allow that. Raftery is a CBS Sports employee who does mainly Big East games on ESPN. Perhaps he was grandfathered in from the old syndicated Big East Network, as I remember him well from that. So I stand corrected on that point.  I still can't find any evidence that Gaudio has ever worked for CBS. Even if he did indeed do a guest spot or two as a studio analyst during the 2010 NCAA tourney, as you seem to recall, that's a pretty tenuous link to be pointing fingers at him in this case. Parrish wrote about the aftermath of the shootings at Duquesne, the 2009 A-10 championship game against Temple, he was one of the first, if not the first, to break the news that Ron had removed himself from consideration for the Penn State job. He would have had plenty of contacts at Duquesne and clearly had a direct link to Ron the day of the firing. I kind of doubt he needed Dino to get him that memo.

1/09/2013 10:23 am  #35

I think Pitt has recruited higher profile players and they are impatient to develop like Gray and Sam Young and others did in the past. So why not transfer when someone is telling you, come here and play. As for TJ, I think he realized RE was never going to make the dance at Duquesne, AZ. Is a big time program with Miller and although he won't get free reign as he did here, he will play in the NCAA.

Funny, when he came to the Dukes many thought he would be a role player, at AZ he most likely will be just that.

A diehard fan since 1961

1/09/2013 11:17 am  #36

Dennis, the Cincinnati connection is a sports writer for CBS sports, Greg Doyle, he has bounced around from North Carolina and Cincinnati. He did a radio show in Cincinnati and knows GA. He could not break the story that would have been to obvious, so Parrish broke the story.

I don't understand the part of your post that reads  "Parrish had broken the news of the firing, confirmed by RE himself, at 11:46 a.m., and he cited the Dougherty memo in that brief. Whether he had it at that point and was waiting for legal clearance to post it, or added the reference later, I can't tell."

Are you saying RE confirmed the firing to Parrish at 11:46?

RE left the University immediately and went to get his kids out of school so they would not be blindsided by a teacher, student or staff member when the story was going to break at 12:00. RE never talked to Parrish. When RE and his wife got home around 12:30 with the kids the story was all over the news.

1/09/2013 1:53 pm  #37

Oh OK, so Gregg Doyel is the Cincinnati connection at CBSSports. I do remember seeing that name before. He did overlap with GA in Cincinnati by about a year and he appears to have talked to Amodio a lot during the 2006 coaching search so there's obviously a connection there. Fair enough, sounds more plausible than the Dino scenario, although still just speculation and supposition, no?

And yes, when Parrish broke the news that Ron had been fired at 11:46 a.m. last March 23, about 15 minutes before the official announcement, he did say that Ron confirmed the report with CBSSports.com. See the second graph of this story:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/17993073/duquesnes-ron-everhart-fired

So Ron apparently did talk to somebody at CBSSports.com that morning. I'm not sure why you're convinced he didn't.  Which begs the question: If CBSSports.com had the Dougherty memo, from a reliable source at Duquesne--and the AD would have been pretty reliable--why did they need to confirm the firing report with Ron?  I'm not clear on whether or not Parrish had the Dougherty memo when he filed his initial piece above at 11:46 a.m., which refers to the memo, or did he or an editor add that reference in later. The hyperlink to the memo was clearly added in or at least turned on once the memo was published 53 minutes later, but there's no indication that the original story was ever updated after 11:46. Having been a reporter myself for 11 years, I can think of any number of possible scenarios for how they might have gotten their hands on it, but I'd rather not get into them, wouldn't be fair to Ron or Greg and I'm pretty far removed from all this palace intrigue anyway.

I'm sorry to dredge this all up again. Duquesne had the chance to build on the success of March 2009, to build on the success of the first magical 2/3 of the 2010-11 season. By all means, blame GA, blame Dr. D, blame the "job-for-life-unless-you're-competent" culture at Duquesne that you referenced, which I remember well from my own student days. The promise that was clearly there was never fully realized and given how toxic things got in the Athletic Dept., it was never going to be realized. But I think Ron has to shoulder some share of the blame as well for things disintegrating like they did. I hope Jim Ferry is more adept at navigating this byzantine world.

1/09/2013 3:02 pm  #38

Dennis, what were Ron's contributions?

The attrition rate? I agree that the stream of kids leaving was a bit much, and that it included kids that I wish would have stayed, but in some cases there were reasons behind kids leaving that are better left off message boards, and in other cases talented kids were wooed away from our program by coaches who - yes I will use the word - cheat. The result of that attrition never showed up on the team's record. Players came and went, and the Dukes were competitive every year under Ron.

The late season breakdown his last year? Fair enough, but share some of that with coaches and players stabbing him in the back.

I'm sorry he's gone, I know some aren't, and we'll never all agree on that.

For what it's worth, Ron took the high road on the way out. Never said a thing against Duquesne or Greg Amodio. I have a lot of respect for that.

1/09/2013 4:07 pm  #39

Couldn't agree with you more ED - just about everything you said.

1/09/2013 7:10 pm  #40

For starters, ED, the team wasn't all that successful the last three years. If they had been, Ron would still be here regardless of all this palace intrigue BS.  Two mediocre .500 seasons sandwiched around the Saunders-and-Clark senior season that showed so much promise--8 straight wins to start the conference season, part of an 11-game winning streak overall--that ended in yet another late-season collapse, seven losses in their last nine, including that embarrassing loss to a 20-loss St. Joe's team, made up almost entirely of freshmen and sophomores, in the conference tourney. And for the record, there were late-season collapses in all three seasons and five of Ron's six years overall, not just last year. It was all Greg's fault because Ron was too busy fighting political battles with Greg to coach the team effectively? Sorry, that explanation only goes so far with me.

My point is that I expected more after that March 2009 run. I think we all did. That should have been the beginning of a long, sustained run of success for this program, not the beginning of yet another end. I think they all blew it and I include Ron in that "they". Shame on Greg if he didn't fully support his coach during such a crucial time for the program. I would hope any evaluation of his performance takes a long, hard look at that.
But yes, I think there were some coaching, recruiting and player development and retention failures that Ron can be held accountable for. Let's take recruiting, which to me was the biggest failure. What did the '09, '10 and '11 recruiting classes yield for Duquesne? Sean Johnson, two years of TJ McConnell and what else exactly? Role players and deep subs are all I see. Compare that to what other teams in our conference got out of those recruiting classes. We're paying the price for that this year and I imagine we'll be paying the price for that next year as well.

Beyond that, the sort of conflict that apparently existed between Ron and Greg is rarely the fault of only one person in my experience and I have  a hard time believing that the souring relationship between the two over the last few years was all Greg's fault. I only know what I read here, which seems to come from people close to Ron, like Scotchngars for example, who's mentioned in posts before that he talks to Ron. Ron may have taken the high road personally, but he's not above using surrogates to get his side of the story out. Who could forget Alan Robinson's media blitz last spring?

1/09/2013 9:16 pm  #41

Dear DennisC if I recall you supported Brian Colleary to the end. In the practice of law that would be called a summary judgement. Please enough!

1/10/2013 12:43 am  #42

Dennis, I'm not arguing with you, but Ron never talked to Parrish or CBS sports, he told me this Weds. morning. They may have reported that, but he did not talk to them that morning. He was all about getting his family together and trying to figure out why they would not have given him 1 week. He could have had the head coach position at Miami of Ohio, but when the letter was leaked they told him they could not sell it to their board.

Ron also took the high road here,because that letter definately defamed him from that Head coaching job and another at a smaller school in the south. So, he does not file a suit against Duquesne for defamation, and was forced to take a lesser buyout than what the contract stated or go to court and draw all this out. He is a better man than those who destroyed his reputation.

1/10/2013 10:24 pm  #43

Dennis, you would have a wonderful career in politics. You have no problem making arbitrary and capricious statements. So now Ron is using surrogates to tell his story?

And your evidence is ... what?

Board footera