Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2013 9:58 am  #26

Re: Fordham

RE had 10 wins first season, not nine.

1/10/2013 10:04 am  #27

Scotchngars wrote:

RE had 10 wins first season, not nine.

10-19, that's right. That's about what I expect this year as well.

1/10/2013 10:28 am  #28

Ron brought hope is first year bringing a 3 win team up to a 10 win team.  This year is shaping up to be a reverse year.  After winning 15 games last year we will be lucky to win 8 games this season the way this team is playing right now.  I understand that Ferry gets a mulligan this year, and agree he needs to open up at least more schol;arships, however, I do not yet see the upgrade to the next level factor from Ferry yet.  I know some are not going to like this statement but I do not think his preparation or game day coaching gives me any indication that he is an upgrade.  This team for the most part is undiciplined and gives no indication that they are gelling as a team.  I could not believe the lack of a sense of urgency and poor execution when we were down 10 with 3 minutes to go.  Colter walks the ball up the court dribbles for 20 seconds and then launches a 24 foot three.  Where were the set plays at crunch timre?  I could give examples, but what for.  You either see it and agree, or don't.  All I can say is grab a snickers bar it is going to be a long rest of the season.

1/10/2013 10:44 am  #29

I agree about the lack of urgency.  I haven't seen much to show me that the team has much more discipline than a team coached by Ron.  That said, we all agreed that this year is a mulligan, but losing to Fordham is ridiculous.  10 wins seems like a pipe dream at this point.  We need to land Severe and the other power forward and hope some guys (Torres, Martin?) transfer out so Jim can add some other players.  As mentioned, running off players from the previous regime is not frowned upon like losing your own players.  Ron did the same with players like Brian Kelly and the like and I had no problem with it at all.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

1/10/2013 2:22 pm  #30

RE had 16 wins last season, could you people get your facts straight.

1/10/2013 4:03 pm  #31

Officially, we were 16-15, with one win being against a D2 team. I don't know how the recruiting dropped off so bad those last few years. Was it a case of RE missing out on his better targets and having to scramble to fill the roster, or was it a misjudgement of talent?

1/10/2013 5:56 pm  #32

duq81 wrote:

Officially, we were 16-15, with one win being against a D2 team. I don't know how the recruiting dropped off so bad those last few years. Was it a case of RE missing out on his better targets and having to scramble to fill the roster, or was it a misjudgement of talent?

Don't know for sure, but I think it was more a case of the former. Examples are Ron's pursuit of Kevin Noreen and Aaron White. In both cases he seemed to be confident of getting these guys and stayed on both of them late into the recruiting period. And he lost both of them late in the recruiting period.He then had to settle for lesser players. At least that's what I remember. Maybe where he went wrong was in reading these better players' interest in signing with him.

1/10/2013 10:10 pm  #33

FAM wrote:

Thanks for the data DUQ81.  I also forgot that only 9 games were one by RE in Year 1.

Yes, he won nine games with a brand new roster, he tripled Danny Nee's win total. And just about equalled Nee's career total. Despite the shootings.

After that, he never had a losing season, and took us to an A-10 championship and an NIT.

I'm sure you forgot that too.

1/11/2013 12:39 am  #34

ElDuque wrote:

FAM wrote:

Thanks for the data DUQ81.  I also forgot that only 9 games were one by RE in Year 1.

Yes, he won nine games with a brand new roster, he tripled Danny Nee's win total. And just about equalled Nee's career total. Despite the shootings.

After that, he never had a losing season, and took us to an A-10 championship and an NIT.

I'm sure you forgot that too.

10 games ED not nine

1/12/2013 10:02 am  #35

Apologies Scotch, the nine number was there and I'm too senile to remember and too lazy to look it up.

He also won six A-10 games in his first season, which was double the total amount that Nee won.

1/12/2013 1:29 pm  #36

Nee was a disaster, but the other candidates weren't great. Ed DeChellis had limited success at Penn St., and while Bruiser certainly would have done better than Nee, I think his record would have been similar to RE's, and we would have eventually become frustrated with him.

Board footera