Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2013 11:20 am  #26

Re: Catholic 7 meeting in NY today

ElDuque wrote:

Clearly I meant VCU, not VMI. Apologies.

Again, my point is NOT about Duquesne joining the Big Least.

My point - my opinion - is that someone in the A-10 should have seen this coming, and done something to keep the league strong.

What could they have done? They tried by adding Butler, and VCU. The only other  thing I can see that they could have done is contraction, and of course none of us wanted to see that, since we would have been a strong candidate to be shown the door. We all knew this was coming, and that we would need to be in a position of strength when it came. Unfortunately, we were not able to reach the level where we would have been palatable to the schools in the C7. We're going to have to make the best of where we are. It's not the best position by far, but I think it's better than what some are making it out to be. You may remember that the A10 was not very strong at all during the early to mid 80's. Schools like Bona, GW, and UMass were just awful, and most years we were a 1 or 2 bid league. Yet within a decade, we had become a very powerful league, one that would twice send 5 teams to the NCAA's, and have 3 schools reach a number 1 ranking. Why can't it happen again? I'm not trying to bust your balls, You know you 2 (ED and CLK) are my guys. I just hate seeing you so down. You have always been positive and hopeful. I'm not giving up! SHOO SHOO, RAH RAH!

1/05/2013 1:04 pm  #27

I have been a DU basketball fan for almost 50 years.  There are guys on this board for longer than that.  For almost 30 of those years we were a laughing stock of the basketball world.  We finally hired a guy who did what most people thought was impossible in turning DU into a winnig program, and a team that played in an A10 championship game despite having a boss who many believed tried to undermine him every step of the way. This is all stuff we have beat over and over again.  I am tired leading the cheers.  We were just starting to gain some respect but now again are preceived as the ugly little sister that can't get a date.  Maybe Coach Ferry will turn things around again in three or four years. I hope so, but right now we will be lucky to win three league games.  Too little too late to be considered for a league that would haved transformed DU into a big time program.

Last edited by CLK (1/05/2013 1:49 pm)

1/05/2013 4:01 pm  #28

I'm with duq81 on this one.  Bernie McGlade did everything she could to make A10 stronger.  This isn't her fault at all. 

It is the fault of the people in charge at Duquesne.

1/05/2013 4:18 pm  #29

duqkurt wrote:

I'm with duq81 on this one.  Bernie McGlade did everything she could to make A10 stronger.  This isn't her fault at all. 

It is the fault of the people in charge at Duquesne.

Bernie is a vastly better commissioner than Linda Bruno. It will be very important for the league to make the best moves it can following the exits.

I just watched Georgetown and Marquette, in a brutal game that set the sport back 80 years. If that's what the new league will be offering, the A10 can compete.

1/05/2013 4:30 pm  #30

Bernie and Linda Bruno don't belong in the same sentence.   Bernie is proactive.  However, the lynch pin of any future A10 remains with holding onto VCU.  If they go to the C7 with the others I really don't think the A10 stays together.  I understand people opinions who think it will remain together.  Myself I don't see it.

Last edited by duqkurt (1/05/2013 4:31 pm)

1/05/2013 6:13 pm  #31

Doesn't look like they want VCU though. It's a big public school, and they don't seem interested in that type. Good for us though. Every league needs a linchpin. It will be important for a second team to step up though. Even flagships have down years, need to have a second one to take up the slack. Wonder if URI can keep Hurley long enough to become a factor.

1/05/2013 6:27 pm  #32

So you guys are telling me that the bright minds that lead this league had no options? I beg to differ. Raid 1 or 2 of those Big Least teams earlier on in the process, and THEIR remnant is left with a weak hand, not the A-10's.

I'm not down; I'm just doubtful about the future of the conference. I hope Dr. Dougherty and Amodio keep their options open in case this thing tanks.

1/05/2013 7:22 pm  #33

ElDuque wrote:

So you guys are telling me that the bright minds that lead this league had no options? I beg to differ. Raid 1 or 2 of those Big Least teams earlier on in the process, and THEIR remnant is left with a weak hand, not the A-10's.

I'm not down; I'm just doubtful about the future of the conference. I hope Dr. Dougherty and Amodio keep their options open in case this thing tanks.

ED, I honestly don't think the A10 ever had a chance to pry two of the C7 away from the Big East.  Before Pitt and Syracuse left causing this beginning this most recent chain reaction to where we are at today, the C7 was benefitting from the BCS football money. 

Then the Rutgers shoe dropped, in a move only welcomed by TV advertisers and Rutgers and Maryland alums.  (B1G fans hate the additions.)

That caused the C7 to take notice.  They only decided to leave when the BCS football money was no longer to be had.  It was the recent television negotiations that told the C7 that their well had run dry.   Did you see Geno Auriema of UConn calling out the C7 for dumping them when they were certain that the TV money had dried up?   The Marquette AD had the balls to blame it on the Tulane addition, but they saw the money figures and they decided that was that. 

Who knows if Bernie didn't make a play for them?   But you were never going to get any of the 7 to join the A10, when they were guarenteed greater TV money from even a diminished Big East.   Had the Big East kept Rutgers, they would have had a decent TV package and this would not have happened.   But it did.   And schools don't move from more money to less money.

I share your doubt about the future of the conference and this has made me down for a while.  In a strong A10, my dreams of us returning to prominence were alive.   Now my dreams will have to be adjusted to winning a conference that may produce an automatic qualifier which could be a #10 seed.  That is with out VCU being around. 

Last edited by duqkurt (1/05/2013 7:30 pm)

1/05/2013 8:17 pm  #34

duqkurt wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

ED, I honestly don't think the A10 ever had a chance to pry two of the C7 away from the Big East.  Before Pitt and Syracuse left causing this beginning this most recent chain reaction to where we are at today, the C7 was benefitting from the BCS football money. 

Then the Rutgers shoe dropped, in a move only welcomed by TV advertisers and Rutgers and Maryland alums.  (B1G fans hate the additions.)

That caused the C7 to take notice.  They only decided to leave when the BCS football money was no longer to be had.  It was the recent television negotiations that told the C7 that their well had run dry.   Did you see Geno Auriema of UConn calling out the C7 for dumping them when they were certain that the TV money had dried up?   The Marquette AD had the balls to blame it on the Tulane addition, but they saw the money figures and they decided that was that. 

Who knows if Bernie didn't make a play for them?   But you were never going to get any of the 7 to join the A10, when they were guarenteed greater TV money from even a diminished Big East.   Had the Big East kept Rutgers, they would have had a decent TV package and this would not have happened.   But it did.   And schools don't move from more money to less money.

I share your doubt about the future of the conference and this has made me down for a while.  In a strong A10, my dreams of us returning to prominence were alive.   Now my dreams will have to be adjusted to winning a conference that may produce an automatic qualifier which could be a #10 seed.  That is with out VCU being around. 

This is it. There is no way those teams were going to walk away from a couple million a year, as well as the terrific tv exposure, to join the A10. We're sad about not being invited to a much diminished BE. Why would anyone walk away from a league that got 11 bids to the NCAAs, to join the A10? They were going to ride that horse until it dropped. Xavier is a great program, but they ain't Syracuse or UConn.

1/06/2013 10:29 am  #35

TV deal in works for C7.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21504314/report-catholic-7-banking-on-big-payday-with-new-tv-deal

The Big East's deal, which the Catholic 7 is sheltered under, comes to an end when the 2012-13 season does. ESPN.com's report states the schools at hand bring in between $2 and $3 million under the current contract, meaning, minimally -- if the report is accurate -- the Georgetowns, DePauls, Marquettes and so on would theoretically make $4-$5 million each with a new television partner in their new league.

The Catholic 7 schools would split their shares evenly, then eventually determine and distribute the remaining portion to the to-be-decided schools who will get invites to join the league in due time. (Creighton, Butler, VCU, Xavier, Dayton: just some of the possibilities, but we have no surefire school believed to be joining the mix just yet.)

Last edited by CLK (1/06/2013 10:31 am)

1/06/2013 11:25 am  #36

The arrogant 7 want to keep the lion's share of the money, and give the added schools crumbs. Wish Xavier would tell them to stick it.

1/06/2013 11:57 am  #37

OK so if you are the A10 commissioner why wouldn't you at least float the concept of an uneven split based on performance (with a very large exit fee) to keep the League together?  The A10 is seling itself short.  With the addition of Butler & VCU the League is just as marketable as the C7 as long as they stay together.  Who would the C7 raid if the A10 held tight?  If it is about money the A10 commisioner could/should make it work.

1/06/2013 3:07 pm  #38

CLK wrote:

OK so if you are the A10 commissioner why wouldn't you at least float the concept of an uneven split based on performance (with a very large exit fee) to keep the League together?  The A10 is seling itself short.  With the addition of Butler & VCU the League is just as marketable as the C7 as long as they stay together.  Who would the C7 raid if the A10 held tight?  If it is about money the A10 commisioner could/should make it work.

Even with an uneven split, the A10 doesn't get enough money to likely satisfy the departing schools. Again, I hate to say it, but the A10's biggest drawback is us, and the schools like us. If the A10 could dump a half dozen schools, Georgetown, Nova, SJU, and Marquette might be willing to listen. Unfortunately, we'd be a dumpee.

1/06/2013 8:38 pm  #39

ElDuque wrote:

Clearly I meant VCU, not VMI. Apologies.

Again, my point is NOT about Duquesne joining the Big Least.

My point - my opinion - is that someone in the A-10 should have seen this coming, and done something to keep the league strong.

If that means I'm not smart, or knowledgeable, or whatever, I have no control over that. I am not an insider like you, 81, with knowledge of how those ADs/school presidents feel about Duquesne. And frankly, I could care two (rhymes with Pitts) less what their fans think. I know enough graduates of those schools to consider myself lucky not to have gone there.

Everyone wants Bernie to do something, yet when I proposed something that she could try to do, something that would make a huge noise, everyone sneered at it. Bernie needs to approach the BE football schools, and offer to let them set up their football league under the A10 banner. So what if UConn has it's eyes on the door. Eight team football league. UConn, UC, E Carolina, USF, UCF, Memphis, Temple, UMass. 17 team hoops league, play every team once, for a 16 game schedule. This would allow the powers to schedule plenty of ooc games. Travel expenses for minor sports would be reduced, and a NYC presence would be maintained. This is the big selling point. The A10 Tournament becomes a major event, and a huge thorn in the side of the C7. The football schools are going to end up in a group similar to the 8 I listed, and will have to play their tourney who knows where. I just think it's more possible than some of the other things I've seen thrown out there. If our students wouldn't turn out for UConn, or Memphis, then they're hopeless.

1/09/2013 11:41 am  #40

SI article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130109/catholic-7-tv/#ixzz2HUbZqgXv

Lots of rumors that there will be an announcement in the next couple of days.  It could be a very devastating situation for the A10 if VCU gets the final spot.  SLU wouold not stick with the A10.  In effect the A10 could be minus Butler, Xavier, Dayton, VCU, SLU, plus Temple and Charlotte.

Last edited by CLK (1/09/2013 11:46 am)

1/09/2013 12:05 pm  #41

Keeping VCU is a must.

1/09/2013 12:24 pm  #42

duq81 wrote:

Keeping VCU is a must.

Sadly, I don't think we'll have much choice in the matter.

1/09/2013 2:20 pm  #43

CLK wrote:

SI article

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130109/catholic-7-tv/#ixzz2HUbZqgXv

Lots of rumors that there will be an announcement in the next couple of days.  It could be a very devastating situation for the A10 if VCU gets the final spot.  SLU wouold not stick with the A10.  In effect the A10 could be minus Butler, Xavier, Dayton, VCU, SLU, plus Temple and Charlotte.

Unfortunately for all of us, the last 35 years of ineptitude (minus some bright spots too few and far between) all pointed to this moment occurring at some point in time.   I would venture to say that most of the people on that post on the various DU boards all saw this coming as well.

The sad part is that we are all concerned about what are future will be.   I doubt if any one in the athletic department knows what is about to occur or even cares what the results will be.   They will all still get paid tomorrow for doing the same work they have done before.   

I'm sorry but I can't be excited or even care about the results of tonight's game.

1/12/2013 11:55 pm  #44

Here is a post from the Villanova Rivals board.

Originally posted by Ncaaball3844.:
My choice would be:

Absolutely:
8. Xavier
9. Butler
------
The next best:
10. Creighton
11. St Louis

12 is really a funny spot. I'd love for it to be Gonzaga, just don't see it happening. I fear it is going to be Dayton, as I don't see what they bring to the table. I would prefer a richmond or vcu type over dayton. I would hate if it were duquesne (that would be the same sickening feeling big east football teams had when they re-invited temple to the league).

Would like to think we are thinking outside the box and could grab byu and gonzaga as 11 and 12. But again, don't think that will happen.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com

1/13/2013 8:47 am  #45

Dont worry the spin will be the majority of schools in the Catholic 7 suck. A-10 will be fine screw them.Next round maybe we get the invite.1 bid league no tv package bottom of the barrel internet for the next 30 years. Blame Hogan & the past administration because of last 30 years.Thats how we roll at Duquesne. Excuses excuses. After Dr. D retires it will ofcourse be his fault. What a joke.

1/13/2013 12:05 pm  #46

Right now it looks like we're going to end up in the 1A version of the MAAC Conference.

1/13/2013 7:46 pm  #47

81, I really don't care what anyone with any affiliation to Villanova has to say. They've done their fair share of cheating over the years. And when did BYU become a Catholic school? Why not go after Liberty?

Last edited by ElDuque (1/13/2013 7:48 pm)

1/13/2013 8:47 pm  #48

ElDuque wrote:

81, I really don't care what anyone with any affiliation to Villanova has to say. They've done their fair share of cheating over the years. And when did BYU become a Catholic school? Why not go after Liberty?

Amen. I thought the same thing when I read this.  I am of the mindset that I don't care when one if own criticizes us. But I don't give a damn about what people at Villanova think. 

We all know we are not getting invited and we are all painfully aware of the reasons. 

Board footera