Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2013 5:21 pm  #1

Legends of the A-10: Chuck Cooper to be inductee

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011613aab.html

Interesting that the A-10 should unveil this new recognition, Atlantic 10 Legends, on the verge of a major defection of several teams to the new Apostolic 12 (A-12 for short) conference.  Chuck Cooper is an excellant choice for Duquesne University.  While I think the concept of the recognition by the A-10 is a good thing, perhaps there should be a three-to-five-year membership in the A-10 requirement before any new school is eligible to have any of its athletes, coaches, or athletic directors to be included among the Legends.  Hell, Butler may be gone after only one year of being a member of the A-10.  As I recall, most sports' hall of fame inductions require a five-year wait from the last year of participation in the sport before that indiviual can be inducted. 

The A-10 also announced the women's A-10 Lengends.  Duquesne's Beth Friday was honored.  Congrats to Beth!
http://www.atlantic10.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011613aac.html

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011613aab.html

It appears that the links I provided will not take you to the sites.  I'm not sure why this is the case.  Sorry.  If anyone knows why this is the case, please let me know what I need to do correct this problem.  Thanks.

Last edited by godukes1970 (1/16/2013 11:10 pm)

1/16/2013 6:19 pm  #2

Re: Legends of the A-10: Chuck Cooper to be inductee

1/16/2013 6:44 pm  #3

Beth Friday was a great player, but there is no way Korie Hlede shouldn't be the first Duke inducted into this hall. Chuck Cooper isn't the greatest men's player, but his historical significance makes this choice understandable.

1/16/2013 10:58 pm  #4

I agree 81. I thought some of the choices were, well, a little strange. Chuck Cooper was an outstanding man. Well-deserved.

1/17/2013 12:03 am  #5

ElDuque wrote:

I agree 81. I thought some of the choices were, well, a little strange. Chuck Cooper was an outstanding man. Well-deserved.

Earl Belcher over Bob Lanier??? Really??

1/17/2013 10:36 pm  #6

Yeah, Lanier was only one of the best centers in the NBA at a time when the other good ones were named Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Reed, Unseld and Thurmand. If you're going to bypass Lanier, at least go with Greg Sanders, or if you want an old-timer, Tom Stith.

How about Lou Roe at UMass? Over Dr. J.? I don't care if he only played one game there ... Julius Erving is the guy I think of when I think of UMass.

1/18/2013 6:15 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

How about Lou Roe at UMass? Over Dr. J.? I don't care if he only played one game there ... Julius Erving is the guy I think of when I think of UMass.

Agreed!  Not to mention that Lanier led them to the Final Four. I'd have picked Camby before Roe, although I can understand why Camby might be controversial.

1/18/2013 6:51 am  #8

Camby was one of the best players ever in the A-10. Oddly, not many of the selections were guys who actually played in the conference. Going to exclude some guys who deserve to be in the conference's Hall of Fame (James Bailey, Sam Clancy) in favor of Cornbread Maxwell, whose alma mater is departing.

Board footera