Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2012 8:17 am  #1

Anyone remember this kid?

He almost came here. Thank goodness he didn't.

Eastern Michigan will withhold junior center James Still from competition as it awaits the final resolution of a legal issue that developed when he was a freshman at Providence in 2010.

Still pleaded guilty to felony assault this week in a Rhode Island court. He faces a prison term of up to 20 years after declining a plea agreement, according to the Detroit Free Press, and will be sentenced Jan. 8.

Along with then-Friars teammate Johnnie Lacy, Still was charged in April 2010 with attacking a fellow student, according to police and university officials. According to Providence’s WPRI-TV, the victim in the case sustained a broken nose and eye socket. Lacy accepted a plea agreement and is to serve three years of a 10-year sentence for his role.

A 6-10 native of Detroit, Still scored six points in a 23-minute appearance in EMU’s opening win over Rochester College, but in the team’s second game, against Jacksonville State, he fouled three times in five minutes and did not score.

Eastern Michigan officials said in a release that they were aware of Still’s legal issues when they accepted him as a transfer from Henry Ford Community College, taking him “based upon numerous positive recommendations† and the completion of his associates degree.

11/17/2012 11:15 am  #2

Re: Anyone remember this kid?

He didn't use a tire iron by any chance did he?

11/18/2012 2:14 pm  #3

Was wondering if anyone got the tire iron reference.

11/18/2012 4:53 pm  #4

Rick I didn't get it.  Answer is?   

11/18/2012 5:07 pm  #5

I may be mistaken but didn't Marvin Barnes get in trouble for hitting one of his Providence teammates with a tire iron? The name Costello rings a bell.

11/18/2012 5:22 pm  #6

I didn't rember the story but you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Barnes

11/18/2012 5:35 pm  #7

I get sick when I read these stories. It's sad that kids end up having these problems. I realize that there's only of thes estories for every 100 or so good stories.

I just hate to see any of them lost.

11/18/2012 5:42 pm  #8

CLK thanks for the Wikipedia link the bank job part was interesting I hadn't heard that one.

11/18/2012 5:58 pm  #9

Unbelievable story... "His nickname, "Bad News", came from his frequent off-court problems. These began when he was a senior at Central High School. He was part of a gang that attempted to rob a bank. He was quickly identified as he was wearing his state championship jacket with his name embroidered on the back."

Board footera