Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2013 11:07 am  #26

Re: UMass

I was wondering if it was the TV angle, or audio, but I did not see the following which surprised me:

1.  All of the seats filled - In fact, there were huge empty sections
2.  A lot of students
3.  Did not hear a lot of cheering

Bilgy???

1/18/2013 3:53 pm  #27

FAM:  1.  All of the seats filled?  You are right. There were empty sections in one end zone, big empty sections.  I paid for a ticket on the side with UMass fans.  If I had paid less for a general admission ticket, I could have had the whole section under the #32 Julius Erving Banner.  Mullins Center was more than half empty.  I found out later that they had an ice hockey game in the other arena at the same time.  That arena is a practice arena and has no seats.  Not sure how full of standees that was.
2.  The was a band and some students, but that section also had a bunch of little kids.  Students were minimal.
3.  It was not loud, except for the buffoon on the PA system.  The attendance was mostly old grads with wives.  They aren't loud.

Now this Saturday they are expecting a great crowd-according to the PA announcer.  First of all, they are going to have a very good team come in-GW.  GW has always played UMass tough at home, having given UMass it's first loss in the building.  They are going to retire jersey #21, Marcus Camby.  The first 3000 through the gates are going to get free Marcus Camby posters.  This is like the Tour d'France retiring Lance Armstong's jersey. 

UMass still has the 1996 Final Four Banner up, even though it is questionable the John Calipary played by the rules.  Didn't UMass forfiet its Final Four?  Their NCAA banners seemed to end at 1998.  There was another one for 2002, but it may have been for the NIT or the women's team, or ice hockey, for that matter.

Last season I purchased my Duquesne ticket by phone.  Now I get occasional robo calls from Derrick Kellogg to buy tickets for upcoming games and season tickets.  Not sure UMass has a marketing plan any better than Duquesne's.

1/18/2013 5:01 pm  #28

GW is hardly a good team. If they are getting a big crowd, it's because of Camby. As far as the UMass Final Four banner, their trip to the Final Four was vacated, but not because they were accused of cheating, but because Camby took money from an agent who hoped to represent him when he turned pro. In the eyes of the NCAA, this made him a professional, and thus, UMass is considered to have used an ineligible player. Cal may have been guilty of plenty, but coaches generally hate agents, so this probably doesn't fall back on him, or the program. Villanova's trip to the Final in 1971 was vacated for largely the same reason.

1/18/2013 5:28 pm  #29

CLK wrote:

I really thought that Pantophlet & Winters killed us last night.  Winters is completely lost on defense, and is so predictably one demensional on offense.  He was 1-10 shooting last night, hoisting ill advised three point shots in crunch time that absolutely killed us down the stretch.  I blame the coaches as this has become a repetitive pattern for him.  There is no reason that he should not be showing signs of developing into a more complete player.  He is a horrible passer, does not box out on defense, and showns no signs of ability to take his man off the dribble.  Pantophlet is better defensively but also is one demensional on offense waiting in the wing to shoot the three.   The problem is when he gets wide open looks he chokes. Down three poinst last night with 8  minutes to go Kadeem gets a a wide open three point shot that D1 players dream off and klanks it. 

I know it sounds like I am ragging on these guys, but I really want these guys to get better.  If we are going to have any chance this year of winning another game they are going to have to wake up and start playing basketball.  This is the job of the high price "upgrade" coaches we have. 

CLK, first of all I want to make it known I only listened to the game - not watched it - as I had the flu - and wasn't fully with the game while I was laying down trying to listen in.  That's presuming it was even on the computer or TV, which I'm still not even sure.

However, IMO you're answering part of your own question why Winters was one-dimensional last night.  If what you said was true that he couldn't take his guy off the dribble or pass, then often you're going to be relegated to shooting outside jumpers on O.  Unfortunately, at least this year that has often been the case against athletic teams.

As for Pantophlet, you make the point of saying that he got an open three and clanked it.  Not sure how that then relates to the rest about the part about waking up and starting to play basketball, and about that being the job of Ferry and company.

---

Not taking a shot at you (or anyone else), but I wish we had more consistency on both boards (and I know I'm occasionally guilty as well).  Like I said, I didn't watch the game, only listened to it with the flu.  However...when Winters, a frosh, was jacking up ill-advised treys, it's on Ferry.  However, often when Evans, even his senior year, was doing it folks pinned it  on EE, not RE.  I just wish we had more consistency...

---

I do think we still win a few more games this year.  I know we're on a five game losing stretch and things seem bad, but we're a much better home team than road team, and 4 of our last 5 were on the road.  The home game was a hard fought game vs. SJU, a team that may dance.  I do think we get at least three if not more of GW, Bona, URI, X, and Charlotte at home.  We're a decent home team (6-2, only losses to RPI #57 and #63), an awful road team putting it nicely.  (Per Mike Greenfield, we're 10 points better per game at home than we would be on a neutral site.)  You can take that any way you want, but it does give me hope for A10 home games.  It may also start to turn the heat up on Ferry's ability to get a team ready for a road game.

1/18/2013 6:23 pm  #30

Rogabee sorry you are not feeling well. The game was televised nationally on CBS Sports and glutton for punishment I am I recorded it.  I agree Ron was not a great game day coach as his game was to force turnovers and get points in transition.  I do not know what evereyone else is seeing, but I do not see an upgrade in game day coaching from Ferry. For example DU had four straight possessions with turnovers. I don't claim to be an expert, but I found myself yelling at the TV for him to call a time out after the second turn over to settle his team and make an adjustment.  As a result UMass went on to make a large run and we found ourselves down by 17.  Johnson and Colter had great individual performance to bring us back within three in the second half, but in the last 7 minutes the wheels fell off starting with Pantophlet missing a wide open three that as a D1 player you have to make.  Winters then killed us by attempting low percentage long range three pointers (I counted 6) and his poor defense (not boxing out).  Just about all of his shots were early in the clock shot.  As a coach you have to have better control of your team down the stretch and have them at least attempt to run some set plays.  

I hope you are right and we can win some more games.

1/18/2013 8:35 pm  #31

Rogabee, take care of yourself. This flu is nothing to mess with.

1/18/2013 9:18 pm  #32

CLK wrote:

Rogabee sorry you are not feeling well. The game was televised nationally on CBS Sports and glutton for punishment I am I recorded it.  I agree Ron was not a great game day coach as his game was to force turnovers and get points in transition.  I do not know what evereyone else is seeing, but I do not see an upgrade in game day coaching from Ferry. For example DU had four straight possessions with turnovers. I don't claim to be an expert, but I found myself yelling at the TV for him to call a time out after the second turn over to settle his team and make an adjustment.  As a result UMass went on to make a large run and we found ourselves down by 17.  Johnson and Colter had great individual performance to bring us back within three in the second half, but in the last 7 minutes the wheels fell off starting with Pantophlet missing a wide open three that as a D1 player you have to make.  Winters then killed us by attempting low percentage long range three pointers (I counted 6) and his poor defense (not boxing out).  Just about all of his shots were early in the clock shot.  As a coach you have to have better control of your team down the stretch and have them at least attempt to run some set plays.  

I hope you are right and we can win some more games.

I  agree that Pantophlet seems to choke on almost every open three look especially when he is shooting from the corners. His shot is from beyond the FT line and he struggles with everything else.

I believe Winters was yanked never to return after the possession where he took and missed two 3's. He's a pretty good 3pt shooter so I don't mind him taking open looks but man you gotta make some. Positioning is a big problem for him on defense and I think he gets lost from time to time. I've said it a couple of times on yuku, but I think he's having trouble adjusting to the speed of the college game. The good news is that flaws are easily fixed with experience. 

As for Ferry's game day coaching, there is a lot I like and some stuff I don't like. I completely agree with the timeout management and I think Ferry tends to hoard them the same way RE did. I'm not sure if this is an omen of things to come or if he's just letting his young team try to learn by figuring things out for the themselves. When he does call the, I sometimes think they're wasted as I don't see any noticeable change coming out of them. However, I like a lot of his in game adjustments. Like Rogabee, I didn't actually watch the game, but it sounded like the Dukes started going over the trap to begin the second half which helped trigger Sean's hot start. After that, UMass pretty much had to go back to a half court defense and the Dukes were able to take better care of the ball.  It didn't work, but I also liked when Ferry went to the 2-3 down 8 late in the second.

I think there is a lot more structure in the Ferry half court offense and he keeps adding peices. We saw a lot of double high screen, low post isolation in the beginning of the season. Since the A-10 season began, we're starting to see low screens. I think the plays are good and I've diagramed a few. The problem is that they seem slow developing. This might be a flaw in the design but it also might be execution. Some that is unfamiliarity, some of it might be the lack of right personel. We talk a lot about how this team's lack of size hurts, but we rarely talk about how it prevents us from setting quality screens. Guys run right through Marhold and Pantophlet. Not so much with Abele.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/18/2013 9:23 pm)

1/19/2013 9:53 am  #33

Does anyone know what Abele has done to be tied to the bench, besides play well when he has played?

1/19/2013 10:35 am  #34

Isn't he injured?

1/19/2013 3:31 pm  #35

From the game notes: "Saw his streak of 16 consecutive games played snapped at UMass (coaches (sic) decision) ..." 

He's averaging 9 minutes and 4 rebounds. He blocks shots. He gives the team a physical presence inside.

Ignoring the obvious grammatical error, bad decision.

1/19/2013 4:15 pm  #36

The freshman, mostly Q, are finding conference play a challenge, once when I questioned Scott Edgar about the drop off of some of his plays he said, "Phil, they are playing in conference, it is faster and harder"

the cupboard was pretty bare when Ferry was hired, Dre has improved some Sean has been streaky, but few of the remaining upper class men have improved. I agree put the big guy in more, and keep Datt on the floor so Dre is not fighting off good 6-8 to 6-10 players by himself.

i hope the recruiting brings more talent, RE was giving us 16 to 18 W's a season despite the end of year fades.

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera