Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2012 8:51 am  #1

WVU Gonzaga

Did anyone see the WVU Gonzaga game on TV?  It seemed very strange seeing Ron as an assistant on the bench.  It kinda brought back some hard feelings to me about the way Ron was treated.  I know I should be past that as someone told me Ron is very happy there, but I guess complete closure may not come until after the DU WVU game.  Speaking of WVU Kevin Noreen never lived up to all the hype.  After watching him play the other night I'll take Abele.

11/14/2012 10:03 am  #2

Re: WVU Gonzaga

I think we will see how much bitterness remains on RE's part when the two teams play.   Huggins could really try and run up the score.  Which I fully expect.

11/14/2012 10:07 am  #3

Considering the egg they laid against Gonzaga, losing by 34, I doubt they are even capable of really running up the score. I doubt the Dukes win though. It will be emotional.

11/14/2012 3:22 pm  #4

It will be very strange to see Ron on the WVU bench. It would be like seeing Cowher coaching the Ravens, or Torre managing the Red Sox, for me.

But I have to say that as much as I was disgusted by the way Ron's firing was handled by Amodio, I've been more bothered by continuous and gratuitous cheap shots that people take at Ron on various forms of social media. For the most part the animosity towards Amodio has disappeared, but every time someone smells flatulance it gets related back to some failure on Ron Everhart's part. You'd never know the guy turned this program around, got us to the postseason three years in a row, and gave us the best season of Duquesne basketball in decades.

He all but erased the image of Duquesne as college basketball's coaching graveyard and restored respectability to the program.

It's sad that in the end he was stabbed in the back by assistants to whom he gave the opportunity to coach at the college level, and players who let their egos get the best of them.

Certainly the man had his faults as a coach and recruiter, but one thing for which he can not be faulted is the fact that he always acted with class and represented Duquesne University well.

Sad that "fans" that associate themselves with the program can't do the same.

11/14/2012 10:15 pm  #5

First, CLK let me say I share your feelings about Ron. Secondly, don't think for a second that Ron doesn't wan't to be here as the head coach of the Dukes. He loved it here and wanted to stay here. His little adventure with Penn State had more to do with his relationship with GA than anything else. He may be happy at WVU,but he'd rather be here.

And ElDuque - thank you, thank you, thank you for speaking up on Ron's behalf. Like you, I'm tired of seeing the shots taken by some around here at Ron and his coaching. You're right, he had is faults and failures - but he was the most successful coach we have had in 30+ years, was a great ambassador for the University and those things alone earned him another year to try to save his job. Those who rose up against him will simply say he had no chance of saving his job, so firing him now was the right thing to do. I say he deserved the chance to fail on his own merits next year, rather than being embarrassed and belittled by an AD who fired him for reasons that were largely personal. I know some are validating their case for firing Ron now by assessing the performance of Ron's recruits - namely Donovan Jack at Penn State. While they're at it, they should also be following the travails of Willie Moore at Oregon, Khalil Johnson at California, Coty Clarke at Arkansas and Brandon Taylor at Utah.

11/18/2012 6:36 am  #6

Well put, CLK, ED, and West. The assistant's was RE's biggest flaw. The decention that they caused on the team was incredible. Barton, Rigot and Hall all were playing against each other instead of for RE. They would argue over their recruits to play instead of who is the best. I feel its due to their immaturaty at the College level and ego's. Rigot however had plenty of college experience before comming to Duquesne, that was probably his problem with the others, due to them comming from High Schools, and him feeling he knew better than them.

Don't forget that when the PennState affair occured, Ron was told he, GA, and SMS were all on the same time line and that they all would be looked at at the end of their contracts. Well Ron definately got looked at by GA a year early, and we all know what happened. SMS got looked at, and extended this year with a raise. So IMO,
GA is on the hot seat with CD. After the Dambrot debacle, and restraining order, and paying 4.2mill. over 7 years to a second choice coach from the NEC, I think GA will be looked at very soon.

This is not a negative against Ferry, he is innocent in this, however GA failed to get the man he told CD he could surely get, and I feel that had alot to do with CD going ahead with the firing of Ron. So if your CD, and you listened to GA and then he failed on Dambrot,and the STEP UP is a just above .500 coach from the NEC you have to wonder what CD thought, and is thinking now that the dust has cleared. I hope Ferry takes the Dukes to the dance some day, but feel he will be given a longer look than what GA is going to get. If I'm correct I believe this is GA's last year on his contract?

11/18/2012 8:40 am  #7

Coach Ferry if he gets the Dukes to the big dance needs the support of the  AD. We all have seen this train wreck of blame the coach over the last 30 years. Charlie thank God has spent the money has GA implemented success? Win and they will come is pure bullsh**. Without a sound foundation Coach Ferry faces an uphill task. Hockey lockout opportunity to build something special.

11/18/2012 4:01 pm  #8

This is from Scotch's last post: "After the Dambrot debacle, and restraining order, " Does anyone know what he means by the reference to a restraining order?? What restraining order??

11/18/2012 4:40 pm  #9

Westender wrote:

This is from Scotch's last post: "After the Dambrot debacle, and restraining order, " Does anyone know what he means by the reference to a restraining order?? What restraining order??

I believes he means that Dambrot went to the press repeatedly in order to stop GA from contacting him after he said he was not interested in the DU job.   

I really hope the Scotch is right and GA is on the hotseat.  Because other than hiring SMS, I don't believe he has warranted any extension of his contract.

11/18/2012 4:52 pm  #10

Thanks Duq - probably right about the so-called "restraining order" - just a little more sarcasm from Scotch.

11/19/2012 10:59 am  #11

Just a little, but yes duqkurt, he turned him down twice.

Board footera