Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/17/2012 10:28 pm  #1

RUTGERS & MARYLAND TALKING TO BIG TEN CONFERENCE.

UCONN TO REPLACE MARYLAND GOES ACC.DOES BIG EAST GO AFTER A-10 SCHOOLS? NOT GOOD FOR THE DUKES...NO FAN BASE,MEDIA & MARKETING PRESENCE AND OFCOURSE STUDENT SUPPORT.

11/18/2012 8:48 am  #2

Re: RUTGERS & MARYLAND TALKING TO BIG TEN CONFERENCE.

Ok I don't don't see the advantage for Maryland with thus move.  I guess money???  If Uconn goes  think the BE would look for a football school.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--maryland-s--rutgers--potential-move-to-big-ten-looms-as-risky-gamble-for-conference-17501209.html

Last edited by CLK (11/18/2012 8:51 am)

11/18/2012 8:58 am  #3

Money is the reason. Maryland is having big financial problems, and this is going to add an extra 13 million a year to their pot. For the B1G, it adds two huge television markets, and it makes Penn State very happy by ending their isolation. UConn is the obvious choice to replace them, but the ACC football powers may put pressure on the other schools to consider Louisville, which brings much more to the football side than UConn, but who's mediocre academics are not attractive to most of the league. Either way, it will be a huge blow to the BE, dropping them clearly to mid major level.

11/18/2012 10:42 am  #4

I know this is getting away from basketball, but would like to keep the topic open and here more input. Your right Duq81 as the old saying goes, if you want to know the answer to any question follow the money. Sports today have become so dominated by TV dollars that the conferences continue to unfold, shrink, grow, based on, were can I get the most money. The traditions of College Basketball and Football are being trampled by the lure of power conf. and big TV dollars. If the current big conferences continue to grow and throw TV dollars to the little guys to join, it will probably end up being 4 conferences nation wide, each with 2 divisions. Who wants to watch Rutgers Vs. Minnesota , or Maryland vs. Indiana, because if Rutgers and Maryland join now they won't build their football programs they will stay at the bottom like the other 2 that I listed, because of the constant loosing to the O-state's and Michigans. I get why Maryland would go, but why would the B1G ask them? They have a football stadium that seats 51,000 and can't fill it. Same with Rutgers seats 52,454, compared to 109k, 106k, 102k, 92k etc... that's Mich,PSU,OSU,NEB etc... its about controlling the viewer. Enter DVR,TIVO, etc....

The best way to watch any sporting event, for me that is, is DVR. I can't stand the constant advertising and volume boost that goes with them. I love to watch a college BB game were I can FF through all the coach's timeouts and media time out's. Same with a Stiller game, can watch a game without all the TV time outs and countless Kick off, commercial, punt, commercial, my favorite touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kickoff, commercial, tell me I'm lying it is sickening. So when is it that the networks realize and their advertisers that nobody is watching the games live and more and more are recorded and the commercial spots are not being watched.

PAYPER VIEW college and professional sports. I'll stop there sorry for the rant, but the constant fishing for conference members and the payoff's to leave the conference is whoring up the whole system. Heck the ACC says go just pay 50mill we will find another to fill your spot, because we can offer more to a smaller college just like it was offered to you, and we will pay them with your penalty fee. Make sense in the money world, but as far as rivalries and traditions they are being bought out faster than we can gather.

11/18/2012 12:21 pm  #5

The Big East doesn't want more basketball only schools. They only team you are in danger of losing is UMass to a BCS conference.  The Big East is not going to dilute their already questionable product by adding basketball only schools.

11/19/2012 12:08 pm  #6

11/19/2012 3:17 pm  #7

I was in Lewisburg PA this weekend (Bucknell) and the bars in town can't get the Big10 network on local cable so the people there can't watch their beloved Nittany Lions.  So people are sitting at the bar watching their iphones. 

I used to think this was about football and how stupid these ADs were to kill the golden goose that is college sports (not just football).  But no one is looking out for the common good.  I never thought I'd miss the days when we would open with Youngstown or Stuebenville, but giving those teams their game of the year was pretty cool (as long as we won).  Now that has morphed into Savannah at Oklahoma State for 70-0 and half a million dollars. 

But to get back to Lewisburg.  Much of this is being diven by cable TV and when the phone replaces the laptop 9and if you are under 25 it already has) , Comcast might look like VHS.

Board footera