Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2013 1:29 pm  #1

Duquesne's offense

In yesterday's P-G, Paul Zeise reported: "I keep saying it, our margin for error is just so small and it is tough," Ferry said. "We come out after the half, we execute what we are supposed to execute, we have four open layups and we get a wide-open jump shot -- and we miss them all. We don't make one.

"We have to make shots, we're not asking them to make halfcourt shots backwards, we are asking them to make layups, make shots -- and we need to get in the gym more, obviously, and work on shooting.

"But it is frustrating, we are defending well and playing extremely well but not converting, and you can't overcome that. I am tired of us playing hard enough to win and not winning. We have to start making shots."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/duquesne-falls-off-of-daytons-pace-672227/#ixzz2JIOsC9nN

I have my own theory about what's wrong with the offense. I think it's as simple as the fact that we haven't defined who our top options are for scoring purposes. Every game, someone different seems to be hoisting up a bunch of shots and either having a hot hand or not. If you watch most teams, you'll see the same three guys lead the team in scoring every night. For example - and this is not an RE vs. JF thing - last year we knew BJ was our best scoring option, SJ #2 and TJ #3 (although some other guys didn't figure that out and kept hoisting bricks).

I think it's time to build the offense around Winters, Colter and Jeremiah Jones. Sean Johnson is probably still our best shooter, but he's not going to be here next year and barring a phenominal run to end the year we won't see any postseason at all. So it's time to toss sentiment aside. I also think we have to see if we can't get some cheap points by getting Abele and Datt the ball in a position to score.

I'd still like to see a taller lineup. Maybe Abele, Datt, Winters, Colter and Jones, with the "old guys" (Johnson, Jerry Jones, Marhold) coming off the bench.

1/28/2013 2:38 pm  #2

Re: Duquesne's offense

RIght now DC is probably the most reliable scorer we have, as he had a string of double-digit scoring games broken by Dayton.  The fact of the matter is that other than him; we don't have two or three guys that can score game after game.  Sean is far too streaky to be a reliable scorer, that is just what he is, and it isn't likely to change in his last ten games.  It would be nice to have those kinds of players who put up double figures nearly every game, but that is not our reality at this point.  Match-ups differ from game to game, and some defenses will focus on stopping certain players, so other will have to fill the scoring void.  That is just how the game works.  Only the very good players get their points regardless of the defense.  We don't have a guy like that yet.

As for putting Abele and Datt on the floor at the same time, I don't see that happening unless there is an emergency.    You limit yourself pretty badly on offense, and clog up the middle.  We get so little scoring out of our post players; I can't imagine why you would want to play two at one time!

1/28/2013 5:11 pm  #3

But levon, what are the alternatves to Datt and Abele together? More Pantophlet? What exactly is his offensive game? More Marhold? Yeah, he can put back rebounds, but that's the extent of his game. Why not use the big men to run some pick and rolls? Has to work better than blown layups and jumpers.

1/28/2013 5:51 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

I

I'd still like to see a taller lineup. Maybe Abele, Datt, Winters, Colter and Jones, with the "old guys" (Johnson, Jerry Jones, Marhold) coming off the bench.

I agree with almost your entire post till I get to the starting 5. I see what you're driving at but that lineup would struggle at both ends. Colter would get doubled everytime up and there isn't a realiable second ball handler. If I were facing that lineup, I'd run a press or half court trap the entire game. I like Kadeem and Marhold better defensively although Datt and Abele would certainly clear the glass at a higher rate but as bad as the former pair have been offensively, I think the later would be worse.

Not sure I would start looking towards the future just yet though. They have a few winnable games coming against GW, X, and Rhode Island. If they stumble through that stretch then maybe you concentrate on next year. At some point though, that has to happen.

Last edited by steve19981 (1/28/2013 5:56 pm)

1/28/2013 6:04 pm  #5

El Duque I agree with you.  We are already limited offensively with Pantophlet.  In the Dayton game he played 27 minutes and had zero points. Why not try mixing it up and play a 1-3-1 zone from time to time with Marhold or Kadeem up top and Datt or Abele or even D-Mart undeneath.  I can tell you I do not like this year's version of small ball.  We went small in the last two games down the stretch in the last two games and struggled getting a rebound.

1/28/2013 6:28 pm  #6

Steve ... neither Panto nor Marhold is the reliable second ballhandler you need. Move the ball through the air, if you can't move it on the ground. The two Stroh's tallboys can be your telephone poles. Just a thought.

CLK ...  think maybe WE should press more too. I don't think D-mart will ever see action again in a Duquesne uniform, unfortunately. I thought he might have had some untapped offensive game but I'll never know.

1/28/2013 7:08 pm  #7

I would give big odds against D-Mart being on the floor again. It is very obvious that Ferry doesn't think he has the right stuff.

Our small ball lineups this year are definitely worse than last. I believe it's becasue in his soph season, one of TJ's big improvements was in having a nose for where rebounds were destined, getting there and taking a lot of boards for a 6 footer.

Seems to me that Abele should be on the floor more, simply because he changes shots and can clear boards. Yeah, he's slow when the ball movement is sharp. He also can rack up fouls, but it might make sense to use him till he fouls out. Marhold plays big for 6-6, and really having two power bigs in could make sense at times.

As others noted, Panto has been absent on offense anyway. Datt seems to still have lots to learn defending the hoop, and is also not a scoring threat..

1/28/2013 8:21 pm  #8

There is no question we miss TJ, but I think it's BJ that we miss the most. We have absolutely no scoring in the frontcourt. I think all of our front court guys could serve well as role players on a team where the other forwards could score. For example, the team two years ago had Damian, and Clark up front. That team could have used a guy like Panto, who can rebound, and play defense, but doesn't need the ball. On this team, his shortcomings are glaring. Having Soko next year will help a ton. If Watkins, or another recruit can come in and contribute, we could get by with Panto, Datt, and Abele playing roles, and the team could be much improved.

1/28/2013 9:11 pm  #9

Agree with 81.  Those of you that saw him this summer at Greentree know that Soko brings the complete game.  Right now, teams have figured out that if you take Coulter out of the game, Duquesne is toast unless someone gets real hot like Sean Johnson.  They wouldn't be able to concentrate on Coulter next year with the size & Skill increase on the inside, and hopefully an out side shooter like Severe (who would be perfect).  Repeatedly Ferry said this was going to be a tough year.  This year is a wash, and you can tell by how the playing time is distributed.Ferry has been fair by plugging in some guys into game situations to see what they can do, but for the most part, he knows what he has.

1/29/2013 6:15 pm  #10

duq81 wrote:

There is no question we miss TJ, but I think it's BJ that we miss the most. We have absolutely no scoring in the frontcourt. I think all of our front court guys could serve well as role players on a team where the other forwards could score. For example, the team two years ago had Damian, and Clark up front. That team could have used a guy like Panto, who can rebound, and play defense, but doesn't need the ball. On this team, his shortcomings are glaring. Having Soko next year will help a ton. If Watkins, or another recruit can come in and contribute, we could get by with Panto, Datt, and Abele playing roles, and the team could be much improved.

+1

Board footera