Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2016 5:13 pm  #2

Re: 2016-2017 WBB Roster

Don't know much about Kiersten Elliot.    No unexpected departures.   Was Kiersten  announced prior that I missed?

Last edited by duqkurt (6/22/2016 5:13 pm)

6/22/2016 5:25 pm  #3

I was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing she's a walk on

6/22/2016 5:58 pm  #4

15 players.  Big roster.  I like the depth.

6/22/2016 6:00 pm  #5

duqkurt wrote:

She's definitely a walk on then. I know the men have 13 scholarships. I'm assuming the women have the same

6/22/2016 6:38 pm  #6

Dukes2012 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

She's definitely a walk on then. I know the men have 13 scholarships. I'm assuming the women have the same

Thanks

6/23/2016 5:43 am  #7

Dukes2012 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Women have a maximum of 15 scholarships in D-1, vs. 13 for the men.

6/23/2016 7:35 am  #8

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Women have a maximum of 15 scholarships in D-1, vs. 13 for the men.

What is the rationale for allowing them two more scholarships?

6/23/2016 10:23 am  #9

Title IX. Helps offset the number of scholarships offered for football.

I think.

6/23/2016 3:06 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

Title IX. Helps offset the number of scholarships offered for football.

I think.

Oh gotcha. I didn't know they were calculated irrespective of sport. That makes sense I guess

6/23/2016 6:41 pm  #11

Here's a link to an interview with Vincentian's Kiersten Eliott immediately after the Royals won their 5th straight WPIAL Class "A" championship.  At the end of the interview she said that she was considering a number of colleges (unnamed) but had not yet made any decision.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZLVed6N6E

I recall that Coach Burt posted on this Forum a while back that he just might add a 4th recruit to the class of 2016.  If a scholarship were provided to Kiersten, it would seem that Duquesne would have made at least an on-line announcement of the scholarship.  

I note that the Dukes' 2016-2017 roster, lists Robert Morris transfer, Judith Sole, as a senior.  She played only two seasons for RMU, so she would have two years of eligibility remaining  and would likely be classified as a junior.  The roster lists Angela Staffilino as a freshman.  She should be listed as a sophomore since she completed her freshman year last season.  Page Canon is listed as a sophomore and played only in two games before she suffered a season-ending injury in 2015-2016.  Assuming that she will get a medical red shirt for last season, I would think that she would be listed as a freshman.  Perhaps there is some confusion on the roster over the meaning of year as to whether it refers to an academic year vs an athletic eligibility year.     

Last edited by godukes1970 (6/24/2016 12:09 am)

6/25/2016 5:43 pm  #12

godukes1970 wrote:

Here's a link to an interview with Vincentian's Kiersten Eliott immediately after the Royals won their 5th straight WPIAL Class "A" championship.  At the end of the interview she said that she was considering a number of colleges (unnamed) but had not yet made any decision.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZLVed6N6E

I recall that Coach Burt posted on this Forum a while back that he just might add a 4th recruit to the class of 2016.  If a scholarship were provided to Kiersten, it would seem that Duquesne would have made at least an on-line announcement of the scholarship.  

I note that the Dukes' 2016-2017 roster, lists Robert Morris transfer, Judith Sole, as a senior.  She played only two seasons for RMU, so she would have two years of eligibility remaining  and would likely be classified as a junior.  The roster lists Angela Staffilino as a freshman.  She should be listed as a sophomore since she completed her freshman year last season.  Page Canon is listed as a sophomore and played only in two games before she suffered a season-ending injury in 2015-2016.  Assuming that she will get a medical red shirt for last season, I would think that she would be listed as a freshman.  Perhaps there is some confusion on the roster over the meaning of year as to whether it refers to an academic year vs an athletic eligibility year.     

I was wondering about Judith as well.  Either way she still has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

I think Brianna Thomas was listed as a senior last year and this year as well.

And yes they are wrong about Angela.

Last edited by duqkurt (6/25/2016 5:44 pm)

6/27/2016 4:32 pm  #13

Duquesne has a news release about securing a fourth recruit for the Class of 2016, Kiersten Elliot:
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/062716aaa.html

Dan Burt is quoted as saying: 
"This first year at Duquesne will be one where she concentrates on strength training and skill development.”

I'm interpreting the coach's comment that Kierston will be red-shirted her freshman year.

Kiersten, welcome to Duquesne University and the best D-1 women's basketball team in western PA!

Last edited by godukes1970 (6/27/2016 4:34 pm)

6/27/2016 5:13 pm  #14

Duquesne's athletic website modified the women's basketball team's roster to properly correct the year identified for several players in accordance with my earlier post: http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/duqu-w-baskbl-mtt.html

6/27/2016 10:12 pm  #15

godukes1970 wrote:

Kiersten, welcome to Duquesne University and the best D-1 women's basketball team in western PA!

Let's start getting rid of the word "western" in there

6/28/2016 11:18 am  #16

rogabee wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

Let's start getting rid of the word "western" in there

You might be correct. Penn state is just a shell of its former self and none of the philly schools have been real good lately

6/28/2016 12:13 pm  #17

FYI - Kiersten is a walk-on.   Not on scholarship.  

6/29/2016 12:43 pm  #18

Is there anyone with more inside information who can tell us something about season 2015/16 freshmen, this 2016/17 season sophomore: Eniko Kuttor, Conor Richardson, Juca Vojinovic and Angela Staffileno. I would appreciate your opinion about each one of them, their skills, talent and expectations for season to come. Especially I'd like to hear what you think about the guards we'll play next season. ​Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DuqWbbfan (6/29/2016 1:09 pm)

6/29/2016 2:29 pm  #19

I was led to believe that Angela might redshirt for 2016/2017 with Judith Sole (arguably the Duke's best post player), now eligible and because Duquesne would have 3 effective post players, Staffileno would get less playing time.  As a redshirt, she'd have more time to develop her skills and therefore give Duquesne three solid years. As for the others, I don't know.  I'm sure their development over the summer and their performance during Fall practice will say a lot about their future playing time. They all bring a unique set of skills to the program.

6/29/2016 2:44 pm  #20

I'm really curious what these guards can bring to the program, given that last year guards (April, Emilie and Dev) played significant role and it's not going to be easy to replace them. My opinion is Dukes don't have real shooter and we need one badly. Suppose this season everything will revolve around post players. 

sperlman wrote:

I was led to believe that Angela might redshirt for 2016/2017 with Judith Sole (arguably the Duke's best post player), now eligible and because Duquesne would have 3 effective post players, Staffileno would get less playing time.  As a redshirt, she'd have more time to develop her skills and therefore give Duquesne three solid years. As for the others, I don't know.  I'm sure their development over the summer and their performance during Fall practice will say a lot about their future playing time. They all bring a unique set of skills to the program.

Last edited by DuqWbbfan (6/29/2016 2:45 pm)

6/30/2016 7:32 pm  #21

DuqWbbfan wrote:

Is there anyone with more inside information who can tell us something about season 2015/16 freshmen, this 2016/17 season sophomore: Eniko Kuttor, Conor Richardson, Juca Vojinovic and Angela Staffileno. I would appreciate your opinion about each one of them, their skills, talent and expectations for season to come. Especially I'd like to hear what you think about the guards we'll play next season. ​Thanks in advance.

The jury is still out on Kuttor and Vojinovic.  They really didn't get much playing time to make an intelligent observation.

I love what I saw from Conor.   Reminds of Jocelyn Floyd with her defensive intensity.   Some times she needed to control that intensity but I expect great things from her. 

I also really like Angela.  Expected to red shirt last year, but forced to play with Paige Cannon going down earlier.   She also reminds me of a former DU player.  Carly Vendemia.   I thought she gave the team some really good minutes this season.   

I'm excited to see how both Conor and Angela develop with this coaching staff

The great thing about this coaching staff is that players have developed under them.  Gotten better every year.   Raegan Moore, Stasia King, Jise Anne Johnson.  And then last year the incredible year of Dev Workman.  While Dev may not fall into the same category as the other three.  There is no doubt she improved by leaps every year she played.

7/01/2016 6:00 am  #22

The team is still pretty young even though the freshmen got a lot of PT last year and I suspect will once again lean on upperclassmen. I'm confident the streak of 20 win seasons and postseason will continue, but I hope everyone realizes last year was a magical season. It's tough to repeat that every year.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the so-called "experts" lowballed expectations for the team, and we don't go ahead and sneak up on folks.

I agree with Kurt about the staff. Might be the most underrated coaching crew in the country.

7/03/2016 5:16 pm  #23

DuqWbbfan wrote:

Looking at the way the recruiting went, I wouldn't be surprised if Burt's starting a frosh or two.  From the reports I've seen, it looks like Sampson could get a lot of PT at the three with a combination of Szamosi-Lass-Sole at the four and five (with Lass also being able to move to the three if need be). 

Regarding the guards...  Nina Aho was among the best PGs from Europe by all reports.  Halle Bovell's recruting marks are only a notch or two behind what Omogrosso's were.  One if not both will very likely be looking at quite a bit of PT.

As to your question on those four...my quick thoughts...

Richardson - Perhaps the fastest player perhaps in the A-10, she could become a defensive stopper with her speed.  I've said previously I want her to become a Coach Bresnahan type of player who can guard the opposition's best player if they're a 1-4.  The downside is that she's currently a relatively weak shooter offensively and still had some defensive lapses (typical for a frosh) and didn't recognize shooters as well as I'd hoped in the UMass game.

Vojinovic - An excellent shooter with a very quick release who could to move to PG in a pinch.  She has underrated athleticism.  Upside is probably that of a Raegan Moore.  Downside is a SG off the bench who comes in late when you need threes.

Kuttor - She struggled some in her transition to American ball, but she's an excellent rebounder with a quite a bit of upside.  The downside is she can't get off the bench with a loaded inside bunch...the upside is similar to Orsi's as there is plenty of similarities in their games (besides both being from Hungary).  For part of the season when she did come in, Kuttor appeared to me as an outsider to be thinking rather than reacting.

Staffelino - A still very raw player like some others mentioned will very likely redshirt this season especially given the Dukes inside depth.  She's strong, can play both inside and outside, and has a physical nature to her game.  I wouldn't quite compare her to Vendemia - mainly because she's comfortable outside also - but also because Vendemia's IQ was so much higher at this point.  The bigger the game and the more the team needed her, the better Angela was.  The upside is a borderline first-team all A10 player if she puts everything together in four years.  The downside is she doesn't, stays somewhat raw, the footwork doesn't improve enough, the constant fouls continue, and she's added valuable depth.

7/06/2016 10:58 am  #24

Obviously lots of depth and options at all 5 positions.  Looking @ the upcoming season as objectively as I can, for the first time that I can remember, Duquesne should be exceptionally strong along the front line with an all 6'3 starting lineup of Sole @ the 5 and with Lass and Szamosi who are interchangeable @ the 3, 4 & 5- which they played last season.  With the way we run multiple screens, the Dukes will be difficult for many teams to defend on the inside. Thomas, Cannon (if she's healthy), Kuttor and possibly Samson can provide relief off the bench.  Losing first team all-A10 Robinson and Workman-our most athletic player by far, creates vulnerabilities. From what I've seen on videos, the 5'10 Aho looks athletic, skilled and can handle the ball.

Board footera