Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2016 9:06 am  #1

Derrick Alston

...remains as the last Duquesne MBB player drafted by the NBA (1994, 2nd round to the Philadelphia 76ers).*

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/23/2016-nba-draft-results-trades-picks

Bruce Atkins was drafted a year prior to this, and Norm Nixon was a first round selection of the Lakers in 1977. On a brighter note, Duquesne remains the only school in draft history to have consecutive #1 picks.

The last five Duquesne athletes to play at the highest level of their respective sport are:
Joe Beimel (MLB)
Leigh Bodden (NFL)
Candace Futrell (WNBA)
Chip Ganassi (auto racing)
Mike James (NBA)
Stefan Lundberg (professional soccer, whatever they call the league)

I think.

* - Thanks to Levon who corrected this (I had Joey Myers in 1983)

Last edited by ElDuque (6/24/2016 10:20 am)

6/24/2016 9:14 am  #2

Re: Derrick Alston

Plus two well-known professional athletes received their JD degrees from Duquesne following their retirement from their respective sports: Dwayne Woodruff (NFL/Steelers) and Donn Clendenon (MLB/Pirates).

6/24/2016 9:41 am  #3

Derrick Alston played a few years with the Sixers which would have been after Joey Myers.

6/24/2016 10:06 am  #4

Thanks Levon. He was drafted, too.

Either brain cells destroyed at Frank & Wally's in the late 1970s or playing center & nose tackle in HS will one day be revealed as the source of my poor memory. Or getting smacked in the head as a kid.

I think.

6/25/2016 5:01 am  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Thanks Levon. He was drafted, too.

Either brain cells destroyed at Frank & Wally's in the late 1970s or playing center & nose tackle in HS will one day be revealed as the source of my poor memory. Or getting smacked in the head as a kid.

I think.

OR BANGING YOUR HEAD AGAINST THE WALL IN FRUSTRATION OVER DUQUESNE MEN'S BASKETBALL (does THAT one show up in the Medical Journals??

6/25/2016 7:49 am  #6

Page two of "head trauma over a prolonged period."

I think.

Board footera