Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2016 11:11 am  #1

Greatest Moments - American Sports Network

7/21/2016 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Greatest Moments - American Sports Network

What this article didn't say was that Pitt was ranked #1 when we beat them in 1936. My Uncle Jimmy was a freshman at Duquesne then. He said he and his friends went joyriding around Pittsburgh to celebrate. I didn't really know what to make of it until I read a short story in Sports Illustrated sometime in the 1980s (I couldn't find it in the SI archive). It was written by someone who was at Northwestern in 1936. He used to sell college football betting cards (the kind where you have to get all of your picks right to win the bet) for a bookie. However he and his roommate were horsing around and he wired the money to the bookie past the deadline. The bookie sent him a telegram telling him that he would have to cover all the bets himself. He looked at the betting cards and freaked out because there looked like a lot of obvious winners and one of them was Pitt which practically everyone picked. When Pitt lost he made so much money that weekend that he paid for his last 2 years of college himself. That article ended by him saying that ever since "I had a soft spot in my heart for dear old Duquesne."

7/22/2016 1:16 pm  #3

Re: Greatest Moments - American Sports Network

There was a really great old college football book published in the late 1960s/early 1970s that listed the DU win over Pitt among the greatest college football games ever played -- in the category of the Notre Dame-Michigan State 10-10 tie. The simple description: "Roy Riegel ran (I forget how many) yards for a touchdown as Duquesne beat Pitt 7-0 on a muddy field."

Board footera