Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2016 11:52 am  #26

Re: Pro Am Final

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

I'm saying the standard has to be 20 wins and the NCAAs

I have no problem with that. I just don't agree with a scenario where Ferry is held to that standard because people don't like Amodio, but the next guy would be ok if he wins 17, 18 games a year.

Agreed. Although Ferry has a long way to go before he's averaging 17 wins/season here.

7/22/2016 12:06 pm  #27

ElDuque wrote:

Summer league is great for having guys run up and down the court against comparatively skilled competition, but it's no predictor for the regular season. So I'm happy that some of ours stood out, but since no more than two played together at a time, there's no way to evaluate how it will all work together.

Ferry's first four years can be summarized in a couple words: Dukes finish 11th in Atlantic 10. This despite bold predictions of excellence based on Ovie Soko, Jordan Stephens, the maturity of DC and Micah Mason, the potential of TySean Powell, etc.

This year, we're basing our hopes on two graduate transfers who played on bad teams, three freshmen who have never played in an NCAA game, and a transfer who sat out last season. Ferry, who has yet to show us any semblance of chemistry offensively or defensively, is going to work magic with these prodigious players while coaching next level development out of Lewis, James, Robinson, Sanders, Castro, Steele and Jackson.

I can't make predictions based on this. Given what I've seen the past four years, I think the safest bets are a good start against lesser competition and disappointment in conference play. Like the past four years, someone will "get his shots." Maybe lead the conference in scoring. But there will probably still be ten teams ahead of us and postseason will be a matter of playing in a Las Vegas hooker tournament.

And Ferry's still coughing up the tired old "bare cupboard/building a program" stuff. Less of that and more winning, Jimmy. That's all I want.

PS, he can go 5-25 this year and he's going nowhere. Don't forget he got a contract extension last season, not because of the good job he's done but because we were able to crawl out from under the Amodio dung pile.

If Ferry goes anywhere close to 5-25 and isn't fired, I'll go on a hungry strike until the program is dismantled 

Roll Dukes Roll

7/22/2016 12:53 pm  #28

Not only would you not do that, but you would be enthralled by the next hotshot who tosses in 30 points in a summer league game.

Just like the rest of us.

It's the Leo Durocher in all of us.

7/22/2016 1:35 pm  #29

I don't much attention to the summer league other than none of our players are injured.
I think it is a glorified pick up game league. The stats are suspect at best.
I see a 12-17 or 13-16 record because of the new players coming in and the skill of the players that have left.
Ferry isn't capable enough or his staff capable enough especially since Nash left.  Rhodes is the only reasonably capable coach and he is recovering from cancer.
Ferry will come up with the usual blather about team chemistry or lack of; new players acclimating to the league; injuries; tough A10 conference; lesser teams have good players too(RMU); some of the players need more time to develop; by the end of the season that team will jell for tournament time; after another losing season, he has great recruits coming in and next year the team will be a year older and if a couple of key plays go our way we have a great season.  It worked in year one and two but it is wearing thin in year five.

7/23/2016 11:40 am  #30

.500 at best. Mostly because there is some talent. No confidence in coaching staff, period!

7/24/2016 1:18 pm  #31

To quote the last US Vice President to be convicted While in office, Spiro T Agnew, you guys sound like a bunch of "nabobs of negativism";  can we lighten up a bit?

7/24/2016 6:31 pm  #32

levon1975 wrote:

To quote the last US Vice President to be convicted While in office, Spiro T Agnew, you guys sound like a bunch of "nabobs of negativism"; can we lighten up a bit?

Nattering nabobs of negativism. Spiro spoke it, but the phrase actually came from the mind of William Safire, who at the time was Agnew's speechwriter.

7/24/2016 6:42 pm  #33

With possibly 4 OOC losses and a A-10 that will continue be a problem to play 500 ball in, it will be same ole Dukes, sadly once again......

A diehard fan since 1961

7/24/2016 9:10 pm  #34

levon1975 wrote:

To quote the last US Vice President to be convicted While in office, Spiro T Agnew, you guys sound like a bunch of "nabobs of negativism";  can we lighten up a bit?

I think you're confusing pragmatic and realistic opinions with something else. If you don't believe me, wait until the A10 coaches pick us for 10th place or lower.

7/24/2016 9:53 pm  #35

ElDuque wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

To quote the last US Vice President to be convicted While in office, Spiro T Agnew, you guys sound like a bunch of "nabobs of negativism"; can we lighten up a bit?

I think you're confusing pragmatic and realistic opinions with something else. If you don't believe me, wait until the A10 coaches pick us for 10th place or lower.

Really, the coaches opinions are worth about as much as the fan's are. No one picked the Penguins to hoist the Stanley Cup, but hoist it they did. Those who whine and cry about prognosticators are wasting their time. I just read that stuff for entertainment. The season will play out on the court.

7/25/2016 5:34 am  #36

Yeah, except they keep picking us for 11th and gosh darn it if that isn't where we finish.

And you made my point exactly. Needs to happen on the court, where for us it hasn't been happening the past four years.

Board footera