Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2016 8:00 pm  #1

Coach Burt On 93.7

Caught the last couple minutes. He said he expects to make the NCAA's again this year and told of a 6'4 player who came up to him on the summer trip and said she wants to come to America. He said she's on our radar now and we might see her on the bluff next year.

8/18/2016 10:43 pm  #2

Re: Coach Burt On 93.7

WashPaRick wrote:

Caught the last couple minutes. He said he expects to make the NCAA's again this year and told of a 6'4 player who came up to him on the summer trip and said she wants to come to America. He said she's on our radar now and we might see her on the bluff next year.

Link to the audio of Paul Zeise's Interview with Coach Dan Burt following the team's European tour:
http://www1.play.it/audio/paul-zeise/

Dan not only mentioned that a good 6' 4" player who played on one of the Dukes' opponents approached Dan and said that she wanted to come to America to play b-ball, but he also said that there was a younger player who was 6' 6" who watched one of the Dukes' games.  (Based on a conversation I had with Dan, I believe that the 6' 6" player would  be a potential recruit for the class of 2017-2018.)  He felt that Duquesne made a lot of friends in the counties that they visited, and this trip served as a great exposure of Dukes' women's b-ball to a lot of potential recruits.  He said that outside of the WPIAL, Hungary was probably the most fertile recruiting area for the Dukes.

Dan said, "We're pretty good ... and if I don't screw it up, the Dukes should be back in the NCAA tournament this season."

8/23/2016 10:48 am  #3

Thanks for the link to the radio show.  Dan told me after the NCAA experience and  the  game with UConn that (for the program to get to the next level), the Dukes will need to become bigger/stronger.  I'm encouraged by his reference to the young big kids (they met on the trip) that are now on the radar.  Also encouraged he may start at PG (if it's who I think it is, she is a potential big-time talent), and move Chassidy to #2. 

8/23/2016 11:54 am  #4

Makes all the sense in the world to move Chassidy to the 2G.  She has had some difficulty getting the ball over taller defenders to the inside people.  Coach Burt unabashedly will tell anyone who listens that the goal of his inside out game is to get it inside first and if that fails to produce points then to kick out to the open spot and take preferably a 3.  In fact he once stated that if a recruit can't shoot the three they shy away from recruiting her.  When you visualize all his "bigs", none of them are shy about launching 3's from anywhere on the court.  Gotta love that style of play.

8/23/2016 4:06 pm  #5

grammudder wrote:

Makes all the sense in the world to move Chassidy to the 2G.  She has had some difficulty getting the ball over taller defenders to the inside people.  Coach Burt unabashedly will tell anyone who listens that the goal of his inside out game is to get it inside first and if that fails to produce points then to kick out to the open spot and take preferably a 3.  In fact he once stated that if a recruit can't shoot the three they shy away from recruiting her.  When you visualize all his "bigs", none of them are shy about launching 3's from anywhere on the court.  Gotta love that style of play.

I heard that the coaches were very much impressed with the performance of 5' 10" freshman guard Nina Aho from Budapest, Hungary, in the practices that preceded the team's departure to Europe.  I note that she started in the 1st game played on the European tour, but she didn't score any points.  I don't recall that her name was mentioned in any of the on-line narratives for the other two games played.  

Board footera