Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2016 8:42 am  #1

Brandon Stone 2018

I saw on Twitter yesterday that Duquesne has offered Southmoreland HS 2018 6'10" Center Brandon Stone.

9/30/2016 12:06 pm  #2

Re: Brandon Stone 2018

Was just going to post that! Mike White says he's a sleeper. Any local folks have insight?

9/30/2016 1:41 pm  #3

ElDuque wrote:

Was just going to post that! Mike White says he's a sleeper. Any local folks have insight?

Southmoreland not exactly a basketball hotbed. He hasn't got much pub. You can probably check at Pittsburgh Basketball Club to see how they rate him. I'd check myself but I'm on the way out thr door.

9/30/2016 8:41 pm  #4

Pittsburgh Basketball Report hasn't rated the 2018 class yet but says it's coming soon. They do have the 2017 class up. Rated 2nd is 6'9 Jarrod Simmons who transferred back to Moon this year. We are not in his top 6 but maybe it's not too late to get him to take a look. Boston College and Temple are in his top 6.

9/30/2016 8:49 pm  #5

WashPaRick wrote:

Pittsburgh Basketball Report hasn't rated the 2018 class yet but says it's coming soon. They do have the 2017 class up. Rated 2nd is 6'9 Jarrod Simmons who transferred back to Moon this year. We are not in his top 6 but maybe it's not too late to get him to take a look. Boston College and Temple are in his top 6.

I was thinking the same thing. That Simmons kid seems perfect for us

10/01/2016 11:00 am  #6

2/13/2018 1:52 pm  #7

Stone released a list of his Final four of schools to choose and they are South Carolina, Penn St, pitt and Duquesne.

I saw him as a freshman save Southmoreland in a playoff game vs West A with a bunch of blocks. He was very raw and has really developed his game since then and can step out and shoot it. I was rather surprised to see him list Duquesne in his final four. He seemed to be a bigger priority for Ferry and staff. He reclassified this year when leaving Soutmoreland for a prep school so he's in play for a school this year or next to land him.

2/13/2018 3:38 pm  #8

Nice to be in the mix with P5 schools for a 6'11'' player.

2/13/2018 7:53 pm  #9

Duquesne in the final four for Brandon Stone, a 7 footer out of North Carolina.  Stone's reasoning: “Coach Dambrot is one of the best coaches out there as well. He had 13 consecutive seasons of 20+ wins at Akron and he’s going to make Duquesne a winning program too. Also, he’s had a staff that’s been with him a long time and that’s important. They’re also a very young team and have a lot of good players sitting out yet they’re still winning games.”

2/13/2018 8:35 pm  #10

If he is 2018, is there any room for him?

2/13/2018 10:52 pm  #11

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If he is 2018, is there any room for him?

I bet the staff will finds room if he'd like to come here. 

Honestly, I'd put my money on Pitt if they weren't imploding and about to fire their staff.

South Carolina is the geographic outlier and based on where the rest of the top three is, I would guess he wants to come home. That said, Martin pulled the rug out from under us last time we went head to head. 

I wonder if Ferry's going to say nice things about us? He was on him long before he got fired at Duquesne so he might have one of the longest relationships with the kid of any college coach in the country. 

I was already sad Nathan Stone graduated. It'll be even more sad that he won't be around for a year lure his cousin. 

2/14/2018 11:39 am  #12

Based on Stone's own description of his skills, he equates with the four star and signed recruit Gavin Bizeau out of Indiana, i.e. a versatile stretch 4.  Does KD really want to have two of the same type of players for one position?  I believe the kid had his chance to sign before Bizeau committed.   My sense of logic tells me with all the 6'11, 6'10 and 6'9" signees plus what is returning, there is very little liklihood of the kid ending up at Duquesne.  Boy, would I like to be proved wrong!!

2/15/2018 8:38 am  #13

According to Coach Dambrot Bizeau projects to be a small forward.

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/930122667205840897

Can you project a front court of Bizeau 6"11, Verhoeven 6'9" and Stone 6'11"?  Would  love to see us somehow land Stone.

3/05/2018 7:12 pm  #14

Dambrot offered Stone's teammate Brad Halvorsen a preferred walk on spot. Maybe that will help in landing him.

3/06/2018 3:13 pm  #15

CLK wrote:

According to Coach Dambrot Bizeau projects to be a small forward.

https://twitter.com/DuqMBB/status/930122667205840897

Can you project a front court of Bizeau 6"11, Verhoeven 6'9" and Stone 6'11"?  Would  love to see us somehow land Stone.

It will be nice to have some depth and wide variety of skills among our frontcourt players beginning next season. Certainly Mike Hughes and Marcus Weathers will factor into the mix.  The great thing about this group based upon highlights video is that they each have their unique skills that can be adapted to the opponents strengths and weaknesses.  It should give the coaches opportunities to create some matchup problems for our opponents.

3/08/2018 8:51 am  #16

Saw this from last year, Stone is receiving strong interest from Pitt, Penn State, South Carolina, Duquesne, Purdue, West Virginia, Xavier, Vanderbilt and Ohio State.

We are in his final four(in bold above), I really cant see how anyone can pick pitt at this time.  But I wouldnt be shocked to see PSU land a few quality recruits.  

Even if he doesnt choose DU, our front line with all the above mentioned names, plus Swingle and Rotroff should be pretty good, and lets not forget A Kelly.  ZOINKS!!!!!

He would be part of this incoming class from what I can see.  So, not sure how that would all work out.  But if he does come to DU, I think this recruiting class could be nicknamed the Great Wall.  Five players coming in at 6'9'' or taller?  Thats crazy!!!

3/09/2018 1:41 pm  #17

You never know about High School players until they set foot on campus and in the gym; so we really don't know if any of the five recruits will be able to help next year.  I haven't seen Stone since he transferred out of Southmoreland.  I liked his game at that time, because of his mobility, and feel for the game.  I assume he's only gotten stronger and better at his Prep School. 
Did he reclassify to come out this year, or is this his expected graduation year?  I'll see if I can find some film on him in the last year.

Last edited by levon1975 (3/09/2018 9:09 pm)

3/18/2018 3:34 pm  #18

3/18/2018 6:06 pm  #19

That would be good for the Dukes; since they may have some room next year

Board footera