Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2016 8:32 pm  #26

Re: Small time Jim

FAM let's put to rest the extra year, Ferry's agent was smart enough to realize Amodio might be in trouble so the minute he left it triggered a clause that gave Ferry a extra year. They were smart enough to see what was going on. The gift that keeps on giving!!!!  Phildog I may be wrong but I believe Skip initially verbally took the Pitt job slept on it and pulled out the next day. Dino was not Amodio's initial choice and never wanted the job.

Last edited by The Dome (12/08/2016 8:33 pm)

12/08/2016 8:55 pm  #27

Dino was seen as something like Jim Crews at SLU. He inherited a very good team after the coach died. The difference is that Jim Crews is seen as a good coach who can't recruit, while Dino was seen as a good recruiter who can't coach. The team faded badly after being ranked number 1, and when the following team struggled, the plug was pulled. May or may not have been a mistake, but the replacement surely was.

12/08/2016 11:18 pm  #28

duq81 wrote:

. What I really remember was the firestorm over Dino Gaudio. The belief held by many, including myself, is that GA wanted his boy Dino in here. Between the firestorm over Ron's firing, and the negativity towards the idea of Gaudio coming here, I get the feeling that Dino figured he had better options. .

Anyone else besides me almost spit out whatever beverage they were drinking the night of the Kentucky game, when the guy who was doing the color on that game, was none other than the almighty coach that GA felt was going to return the Dukes to glory so we had to drive Ron out.....yadda...yadda...yadda....  Less than five years later and this A** Hole is not even coaching anymore!

Yeah great decision!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/08/2016 11:24 pm  #29

FAM wrote:

Well,
1.  Since we all agree Ferry should be gone what do we do next.  Personally, I sent the AD an email and got a reply back regarding this. 

And what pray tell did that email say?  I am done emailing Harper. I said my piece to him last year in our extended email and phone conversations, so I have no idea. Please tell me what Harper is saying about Ferry's future.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/08/2016 11:30 pm  #30

Tejas_Duke wrote:

FAM wrote:

Well,
1.  Since we all agree Ferry should be gone what do we do next.  Personally, I sent the AD an email and got a reply back regarding this. 

And what pray tell did that email say?  I am done emailing Harper. I said my piece to him last year in our extended email and phone conversations, so I have no idea. Please tell me what Harper is saying about Ferry's future.

Harper really doesn't need to comment on his coach in public. It looks unprofessional. If he's paying attention, he'll make the appropriate moves at the end of the season. An AD who makes public statements to appease alums on a message board is a guy who will do a bad job.

12/08/2016 11:36 pm  #31

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

FAM wrote:

Well,

Harper really doesn't need to comment on his coach in public. It looks unprofessional. If he's paying attention, he'll make the appropriate moves at the end of the season. An AD who makes public statements to appease alums on a message board is a guy who will do a bad job.

I asked what he said in the email. What was the tone? Did he get your frustration or was it just more rah-rah, "we have to be patient," Ferry needs time.....cattle excrement?

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (12/08/2016 11:39 pm)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/09/2016 12:44 am  #32

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

I asked what he said in the email. What was the tone? Did he get your frustration or was it just more rah-rah, "we have to be patient," Ferry needs time.....cattle excrement?

Probably better to be asked in a private message. You might get a more truthful answer.

12/09/2016 3:45 am  #33

duq81 wrote:

Dino was seen as something like Jim Crews at SLU. He inherited a very good team after the coach died. The difference is that Jim Crews is seen as a good coach who can't recruit, while Dino was seen as a good recruiter who can't coach. The team faded badly after being ranked number 1, and when the following team struggled, the plug was pulled. May or may not have been a mistake, but the replacement surely was.

Plus, Dino was not successful as a head coach at Army (36-72) and Loyola MD (32-52) in the 90's. And at Wake, his teams faded badly in February and March. So he appeared to be a bad fit at Duquesne.

12/09/2016 10:00 am  #34

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/
Profile on Bryan Odom, UMBC coach.  I was very impressed with his team.  I'm sure there are other coaches who are also finding success at a low D-1 level, but the style of play that he coached was very effective and refreshing to watch  He does have good players as well.  Joe Sherbourne could play at a lot of higher D-1 schools, the guy just knows how to score.  UMBC won again at Mt St Mary and Sherbourne had 28 points.  Odom also has good experience at Va. Tech, and Charlotte, and of course is the son of Dave Odom former Virginia and South Carolina Head Coach.

12/09/2016 10:33 am  #35

levon1975 wrote:

Profile on Bryan Odom, UMBC coach.  I was very impressed with his team.  I'm sure there are other coaches who are also finding success at a low D-1 level, but the style of play that he coached was very effective and refreshing to watch  He does have good players as well.  Joe Sherbourne could play at a lot of higher D-1 schools, the guy just knows how to score.  UMBC won again at Mt St Mary and Sherbourne had 28 points.  Odom also has good experience at Va. Tech, and Charlotte, and of course is the son of Dave Odom former Virginia and South Carolina Head Coach.

Sign me up for this guy. This wasn't the most talented team we played, but it was definitely the sharpest and most we'll run offense we faced and they were also strong defensively. Didn't somebody say he's a first year guy too?

12/09/2016 3:47 pm  #36

Fire Jim Ferry

Roll Dukes Roll

12/09/2016 4:54 pm  #37

currentstudent wrote:

Fire Jim Ferry

Which brings me back to my point, we need to get the administration to create a search committee with a knowledgeable mix of people,  to find, anybody, that, as a coach, can play his game and win, because we keep  getting  the same level of players in here year after year and can only  win or lose on that coaches ability.  Bottle line, Ferry will never win here, almost no one, except Ron has  had success.  There has got to be a way of finding some young coach that shows a higher BB IQ than what we keep getting here, brick by brick??

12/09/2016 5:13 pm  #38

I picked us to win 19 games this year so what do I know. I do know that historically Duquesne has been cheap. It underpaid the best 3 coaches it ever had. At least I learned on this website that it underpaid the first (Davies) and I have on good authority that it underpaid the third (Manning). So I figure JF is going to finish out his contract because it will look like DU threw away $600-700K if he is dismissed at the end of this season. Of course a new coach might reinvigorate the fans to buy more season tickets so there is a cost offset there. That said, it doesn't hurt to think ahead.

12/09/2016 5:14 pm  #39

Duques102 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Sign me up for this guy. This wasn't the most talented team we played, but it was definitely the sharpest and most we'll run offense we faced and they were also strong defensively. Didn't somebody say he's a first year guy too?

Yes, Bryan Odom is in his first year at UMBC, which can be a deterrent to him leaving so quickly.  I know it happens but he may feel that by staying longer and producing good results he can get a better job in a P-5 conference. 

12/09/2016 10:47 pm  #40

The Ron/GA issues are over and it's done, but I can understand the comparison in light of Teflon's Jimmy's utter failure.  I didn't disagree with the decision to let Ron go and I never bought into the theory about GA deliberately leaking that memo to the Press as it only embarrassed the school, CD and Amodio.  Now that being said, I wholeheartedly agree with my friend Iron Duke and with CLK's assessment that RE never had the resources that Ferry was given ($$$$$).  It would have been very interesting to see what Ron could have done with the cash to retain some good coaches that he did have and also spend more on recruiting.  That is a fair and realistic question as Ron did give us the best success we had, even with his shortcomings, and I actually think we got spoiled by some success and all of us wanted more - 20 win seasons, NCAA etc.  Here are some other thoughts on that situation:
1.  Ron and Greg were both head strong and butted heads, period.  I know and have also heard from others there was a good bit of conflict between them and they both are responsible for that;
2.  Don't forget GA hired Ron (a committee was put together to hire GA) and I think for his own interests he wanted him to succeed, but he should have really given him one more year and if the results were not good no one would have complained if RE was let go;
3.  GA clearly knew he bet the ranch (his DU career) on Ron's replacement and recognizing it was a colossal mistake he bailed to save his career and we are of course left with the Ferry mess........good Lord have mercy.

12/10/2016 12:50 am  #41

PistolPete wrote:

The Ron/GA issues are over and it's done, but I can understand the comparison in light of Teflon's Jimmy's utter failure.  I didn't disagree with the decision to let Ron go and I never bought into the theory about GA deliberately leaking that memo to the Press as it only embarrassed the school, CD and Amodio.  Now that being said, I wholeheartedly agree with my friend Iron Duke and with CLK's assessment that RE never had the resources that Ferry was given ($$$$$).  It would have been very interesting to see what Ron could have done with the cash to retain some good coaches that he did have and also spend more on recruiting.  That is a fair and realistic question as Ron did give us the best success we had, even with his shortcomings, and I actually think we got spoiled by some success and all of us wanted more - 20 win seasons, NCAA etc.  Here are some other thoughts on that situation:
1.  Ron and Greg were both head strong and butted heads, period.  I know and have also heard from others there was a good bit of conflict between them and they both are responsible for that;
2.  Don't forget GA hired Ron (a committee was put together to hire GA) and I think for his own interests he wanted him to succeed, but he should have really given him one more year and if the results were not good no one would have complained if RE was let go;
3.  GA clearly knew he bet the ranch (his DU career) on Ron's replacement and recognizing it was a colossal mistake he bailed to save his career and we are of course left with the Ferry mess........good Lord have mercy.

Here's my point. Ron had a certain level of success but why, He had certain qualities that a good search committee should take note of, then look at a Jamie Dixon, a former assist. coach that Pitt didn't even want at first, then look at other coaches that have a higher level of success, for instance, Mageris from St.Louis. He won at a higher level by his instincts to teach defense, the examples go on and on, then look at Ferry?? He didn't possess any winning characteristics really.  Loser at a lower level for a decade before winning for just 2 years?  Looks more like luck than a man with a plan.  Ron won here right away.  Ron turned a quite a few programs around before getting here.  We need  to make a better informed decision for next year and this administration should be quietly forming a committee now to search for a coach now and not just 2 weeks after firing Ferry.  

12/10/2016 8:41 am  #42

We'll be rebuilding from scratch. We have some nice players but they've been taught nothing.

Three times this season some clawed back for a win against us. Ferry's priority in the huddle? "Keep playing hard."

It's where his strategy begins and ends.

12/10/2016 10:59 am  #43

Your are right El D; it's like someone noted that went to the Bobby Mo game, we'd call out a play (if you could call it that) and Bobby Mo knew exactly what to do and forced turnovers.  Some of this is on the players, but I've seen less athletic players have it drilled into them what to do from a bball IQ standpoint.  Nothing Ferry has done has shown me any ability to teach and improve.

Board footera