Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2017 9:52 am  #1

Judith Sole

I did an extensive feature on Judith Sole for DYST Now. It details her injuries, recovery and also answers whether she will be back next season. http://dystnow.com/2017/01/21/patience-acceptance-key-soles-return-court/

1/21/2017 1:06 pm  #2

Re: Judith Sole

Very informative article on Judith's constitution and the extent of concussion.  It's a wonder that some type of helmet hasn't been developed for basketball players which might offer some degree of protection from further concussions.  Even with the little playing time that Judith has been given, it's clear to me that she will make a noticeable improvement in how the Dukes play.

From all the discussions I've had with those on the basketball coaching staff, it's clear that Robert Morris' refusal to play the Dukes' women's team last year and this year are directly related to Judith's transfer to Duquesne.  As I was told, Robert Morris will not play the Dukes as long as Judith is on the roster.  This refusal to play the Dukes, a high-quality local D-1 team within a 25 minute ride of RMU's campus, stems from the snit that former Coach Sal Buscaglia was in after Judith transferred.  If he didn't like the fact that she was going to transfer to a local college, RMU had the ability to exclude Duquesne from Judith's choices - it did nothing.  My observation of how Coach Sal conducted himself on the sidelines over the years was that his medication should have been increased.  His antics clearly were embarrassing, but his team won more than it lost in the very weak NEC so that was enough justification for RMU's keeping him. 

1/21/2017 1:13 pm  #3

Thank you for reading the piece. Calling the play time "little" I feel is off-based. She has just been cleared and is not completely in basketball segments. Dan Burt will be playing her in two minute intervals for now to not exhaust her. Getting 11 minutes Wednesday vs SLU was a bonus.

As for not playing RMU, these teams not playing is certainly not on Duquesne's end. Dan has repeatedly stated that we will anyone, anywhere at any time.

Going from one college to another city is always sticky and something that can be taken personally. If it was too much to take then as you said, Duquesne could have been put on the list of schools she cannot transfer to, but of course it was not either to honor her wishes, Duquesne is not an NEC school or possible other reasons.

I cannot opine on Sal's behavior I only covered one game he coached in and that was the NCAA Tournament contest against UConn.

1/21/2017 5:07 pm  #4

zacharymweiss wrote:

Thank you for reading the piece. Calling the play time "little" I feel is off-based. She has just been cleared and is not completely in basketball segments. Dan Burt will be playing her in two minute intervals for now to not exhaust her. Getting 11 minutes Wednesday vs SLU was a bonus.

As for not playing RMU, these teams not playing is certainly not on Duquesne's end. Dan has repeatedly stated that we will anyone, anywhere at any time.

Going from one college to another city is always sticky and something that can be taken personally. If it was too much to take then as you said, Duquesne could have been put on the list of schools she cannot transfer to, but of course it was not either to honor her wishes, Duquesne is not an NEC school or possible other reasons.

I cannot opine on Sal's behavior I only covered one game he coached in and that was the NCAA Tournament contest against UConn.

My reference point in saying that Judith Sole has seen "little playing time" is in consideration of her on-the-court time for the entire season: 13 minutes.  I'm well aware of the medical reasons for her limited playing time.  Following the Dukes crushing victory over St. Louis, in the press conference Coach Burt said that Judith had a very positive impact on the team by her play in practices as well as it was in two regulation games.

Regarding teams not willing to play the Dukes' women's team, I think it would be interesting for journalists to look into Pitt's apparent unwillingness to continue to play the Dukes.  It is my understanding that Pitt has not responded to Duquesne's offer to enter into a contract to play each other for the next ten years.  Would Pitt's reluctance to play the Dukes have anything to do with the Dukes' domination of Pitt's women's team?  The Dukes have won 15 of the last 22 games and 7 of the last 8.  Does this mean that Pitt wants to end the women's City Basketball Game because of its lack of success.  Isn't this a matter worth looking into?  Oh yes, you might want to find out why WVU doesn't want to play the Dukes' women's team as they had for 39 years.  What is it with these big state or state-related universities not wanting to play nearby D--1 universities?

Last edited by godukes1970 (1/22/2017 4:40 pm)

1/23/2017 11:46 pm  #5

godukes1970 wrote:

zacharymweiss wrote:

My reference point in saying that Judith Sole has seen "little playing time" is in consideration of her on-the-court time for the entire season: 13 minutes.  I'm well aware of the medical reasons for her limited playing time.  Following the Dukes crushing victory over St. Louis, in the press conference Coach Burt said that Judith had a very positive impact on the team by her play in practices as well as it was in two regulation games.

Regarding teams not willing to play the Dukes' women's team, I think it would be interesting for journalists to look into Pitt's apparent unwillingness to continue to play the Dukes.  It is my understanding that Pitt has not responded to Duquesne's offer to enter into a contract to play each other for the next ten years.  Would Pitt's reluctance to play the Dukes have anything to do with the Dukes' domination of Pitt's women's team?  The Dukes have won 15 of the last 22 games and 7 of the last 8.  Does this mean that Pitt wants to end the women's City Basketball Game because of its lack of success.  Isn't this a matter worth looking into?  Oh yes, you might want to find out why WVU doesn't want to play the Dukes' women's team as they had for 39 years.  What is it with these big state or state-related universities not wanting to play nearby D--1 universities?

I can't get too mad at RMU for being a bit pissed about the transfer. This board would have been in an uproar if TJ McConnell had transferred to Pitt. It all depends on whose ox is being gored.

1/24/2017 3:17 am  #6

duq81 wrote:

godukes1970 wrote:

zacharymweiss wrote:

I can't get too mad at RMU for being a bit pissed about the transfer. This board would have been in an uproar if TJ McConnell had transferred to Pitt. It all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Duquesne's approval of TJ McConnell's transfer restricted him from transferring to Robert Morris and Pitt.  Duquesne took the appropriate action to address this issue of his transferring to a local rival.  Robert Morris could've done the same thing when Judith Sole transferred, but for some unknown reason it didn't.  So like a pouting child, Robert Morris and its former coach decided not to play a local rival team.  This petty move on the part of RMU cost their RPI from improving a bit by just playing the Dukes who have had a much higher RPI than RMU for at least the last 9 years.  Even though the Dukes have a mediocre record of 10-11 at this point in the season, their RPI is 123 for games played through January 22.  Robert Morris' record is 9-9 (including 1 win over a NAIA team), earning them an RPI of 271. 

I note that guard Brittany Warren transferred from RMU and played in 2004-2005, 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 for Duquesne and averaged about 5 points a game.  The Dukes and RMU played each other for the years that Brittany was on the Dukes' roster.

1/26/2017 6:21 pm  #7

Not that I'm defending Buscaglia's hissy-fit, but the situations with Judith Sole & Brittany Warren aren't comparable.  When Warren left RMU, it was probably a case of good riddance.  She had a terrible attitude.  In Dan Durkin's final year, she & another player poisoned the team with their bad attitudes, a big reason that year was such a disaster.

Board footera