Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2017 10:19 am  #201

Re: New coach thread

Keith Dombrot is pushing 60 years of age. Not into age discrimination but might be a bit long in the tooth to take on a situation like DU. Also, has never coached at this level. Not my first choice by any means but would certainly support him and the program moving forward if hired.

3/17/2017 10:48 am  #202

Hilltopper wrote:

Keith Dambrot past 13 years has won 305 games including #27 (this year) Wednesday at Houston, nine (9) conference championships plus COY twice past 3 years.  Oh, his dad is a former DU player in the Sihugo/Ricketts era.  What's not to like?  

Have you forgotten 5 years ago? GA shamelessly pursued him and he turned us down twice. He would be looking at us as his retirement plan. 5 million bucks, then retire.

3/17/2017 10:51 am  #203

CLK wrote:

Phildog wrote:

I wonder if Joe Dooley of FGCU is under consideration?
He is a tough defensive minded coach and last night they battled Florida State down to the wire despite the two 7 footers matched up against his two 6-8 forwards.

He doesn't make a lot , around 200m with bonuses but at 51 and success at FGCU and Kansas as crack recruiter and top Asst. for years, he might put the toughness into the Duquesne Program.

I think he would be a great choice Phil.  The guy is pretty much all that Harper described. He has won 21 games or more each of the last 4 years at FGCU and the NCAA each of the last two years along with an NIT and CBI trip.  I would take him for sure.

Perfect example of the type of guy we should be after.

3/17/2017 10:56 am  #204

Hilltopper wrote:

Keith Dambrot past 13 years has won 305 games including #27 (this year) Wednesday at Houston, nine (9) conference championships plus COY twice past 3 years.  Oh, his dad is a former DU player in the Sihugo/Ricketts era.  What's not to like?  

Maybe Amodio can let Dambrot turn him down five more times, and hire Ferry again.

3/17/2017 12:12 pm  #205

duq81 wrote:

There is no way Dambrot should even be approached. We need a guy who wants to be here. He's in a comfortable spot, and he needs to be a lifer at Akron. If I don't hear that they at least approached Keatts, Becker, and Kelsey, I'm going to think it's more of the same nonsense.

NC State has approached Keatts for their job opening and is said to be the "primary candidate."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/842781478647992320

Last edited by Brian (3/17/2017 12:13 pm)

3/17/2017 12:15 pm  #206

Keith Dambrot also turned down the South Florida job per multiple reports due to fear of a mess of a roster and not wanting to clean up the mess that their program is in.

3/17/2017 12:24 pm  #207

ElDuque wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Maybe Amodio can let Dambrot turn him down five more times, and hire Ferry again.

He-he

A diehard fan since 1961

3/17/2017 12:30 pm  #208

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

There is no way Dambrot should even be approached. We need a guy who wants to be here. He's in a comfortable spot, and he needs to be a lifer at Akron. If I don't hear that they at least approached Keatts, Becker, and Kelsey, I'm going to think it's more of the same nonsense.

NC State has approached Keatts for their job opening and is said to be the "primary candidate."

$#|+

3/17/2017 12:44 pm  #209

Colin Dunlap

Mike Rice linked to Duquesne by some. No chance. "no way, shape or form involved in search or a candidate" person close to search told me.

Last edited by CLK (3/17/2017 12:45 pm)

3/17/2017 1:02 pm  #210

Duques102 wrote:

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

$#|+

If that is the case, then Archie turned them down!  I don't think we were ever in play for Keats.  He has advanced to a higher level job.  This is no shot at the Duquesne job, just the reality of the situation. 

I think our best bet is a high level assistant coach from a winning program that is more than just a recruiter, but a game-planner, and with some X and O abilities.

3/17/2017 1:06 pm  #211

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Brian wrote:

$#|+

If that is the case, then Archie turned them down!  I don't think we were ever in play for Keats.  He has advanced to a higher level job.  This is no shot at the Duquesne job, just the reality of the situation. 

I think our best bet is a high level assistant coach from a winning program that is more than just a recruiter, but a game-planner, and with some X and O abilities.

How can you ever know what an assistant can do. Basically a shot in the dark.

3/17/2017 1:09 pm  #212

CLK wrote:

Colin Dunlap

Mike Rice linked to Duquesne by some. No chance. "no way, shape or form involved in search or a candidate" person close to search told me.

Holdover from "Shoegate," I presume.

3/17/2017 1:11 pm  #213

4 players from North Florida added to transfer list today. Could he have told them he was taking another job or is he going to be added to the list of coaches who has a big player turnover?

3/17/2017 1:24 pm  #214

CLK wrote:

Colin Dunlap

Thanks for the info.  So be it.  I never expected him to be in the mix, just too much risk of negativity, that we don't need at this time.  Lazy local and national media hacks would quickly buy into a negative narrative and it would be the typical media lynch mob circus.

3/17/2017 1:32 pm  #215

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Brian wrote:

$#|+

If we go the assistant route I'd be interested in Baker Dunleavy of Villanova. He appears to be very highly regarded and what Nova has been able to do these past five years or so speaks for itself. Delaware and Stony Brook reportedly made overtures last year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/04/02/baker-dunleavy-villanova-assistant-coach-jay-wright-mike-dunleavy-final-four/82549064/

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20160208_Baker_Dunleavy__Nova_basketball_s_chief_of_staff.html

3/17/2017 1:43 pm  #216

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

$#|+

How can you ever know what an assistant can do. Basically a shot in the dark.

I don't know of too many head coaches that didn't start out as an assistant at some point; so the great coaches of our day were once assistant coaches.  Kevin Keats was an assistant at Louisville for example.  He turned out pretty well for UNCW.  Of course there are hundreds of examples because that is how the process works.  There have been plenty of Head Coaches that were successful at one level and failed at a higher level.  You may already have one or more in mind.  I like the idea of an assistant who already knows the mid-upper D-1 landscape, rather than a guy who has won at a lower level and hasn't been in the big-time at all.  Look at Archie Miller, at Dayton.  They took a chance on an assistant coach, and I like the way that worked out.  It's really about the individual rather than whether or not he has already been a head coach.  If you can bring in the right assistant from a quality program, you can have success.

3/17/2017 3:49 pm  #217

CLK wrote:

Colin Dunlap

I guess it comes down to who you believe.

Adam Zagoria

Current @patrickschool and former Rutgers coach Mike Rice is in the mix at Duquesne, sources confirm. Could win a Jersey TOC in coming days

3/17/2017 4:22 pm  #218

Brian wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Keatts took the NC State job.

3/17/2017 4:31 pm  #219

Regarding Mike Rice, I think this is an important piece of the puzzle. If Harper feels that there is a chance that Mike & Mike, Walker and/or Wheeler will stay with the Dukes, then Rice would be off of my list. I think all of them would bolt due to baggage with Rice. If Harper feels they are gone regardless, then perhaps you could consider Rice.

3/17/2017 5:41 pm  #220

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Regarding Mike Rice, I think this is an important piece of the puzzle. If Harper feels that there is a chance that Mike & Mike, Walker and/or Wheeler will stay with the Dukes, then Rice would be off of my list. I think all of them would bolt due to baggage with Rice. If Harper feels they are gone regardless, then perhaps you could consider Rice.

Say what you want about Dunlap, but that guy was always 100% accurate with coaching searches for Duquesne.  He did a great job covering our program and I think he is one of the few media guys around who cares about our program.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/17/2017 7:01 pm  #221

I don't think much about Dunlap as a reporter but I guess he does have a track record with some sources.  He also seems pretty arrogant generally. 

Regardless, looking at the video from the Patrick School, adimittdly a small sample, I could feel better about Rice.  Someone's going to take a chance on him sometime and if he is reformed yet still intense he could be very good.  By the way, I also thought Chavannes looked good in that small sample

I'm not advocating for Rice because I think he may have a difficult time initially at least recruiting with his reputation.  But he wouldn't be the first coach with baggage to come back from the grave to succeed.  This was partially my point in previous posts with the type and kind of coach we may get.  When it comes to reputations and regardless of what we may pay and how Harper et al sound, we aren't exactly on fire either. 

I still think it will be tough to get the kind of coach many want considering the rep we have.  And of course if we did decide Rice is reformed and the best pick the local media will probably go nuts - after all they need something to talk about.  But if we are just going to end up with some other retread I'd almost rather consider Rice - again not promoting him, just thinking out loud.  As Catholics we are big on forgiveness, aren't we?

Curious whether El Duque with his NJ roots has any info on or feelings about Rice based on his work there.

3/17/2017 8:50 pm  #222

Mulder, I don't follow Rutgers closely so when the troubles started for  Rice they caught me off guard. If I remember, though, the school also had issues with its football coach at the same time, along with some AD problems. The video is pretty damning, of course, and not to excuse his actions but I grew up playing football and frankly saw worse. I understand the concerns that some folks have, but I'm not opposed to giving someone a second chance. Rice recruits well and he's a good coach. As someone pointed out earlier, Lonergan is a similar situation, although it seems to be more of a he said-he said situation.

​My preference would be to get the MBB version of Dan Burt. That guy recruits, coaches the hell out of he team, and is an ambassador for the program and the University.

3/18/2017 6:18 am  #223

Keith Dambrot fields a team led by two 6-10 starters, each averaging 30 minutes/game.  One weighs in at 235, the other at 290.  Both hail from Cincinnati. He also recruits heavily from Houston Texas.  Didn't hurt recruiting that he beat #2 NIT seed  Houston (21-10).  

Likely will be his last year at his Alma mater, Akron.  

3/18/2017 7:06 am  #224

Why would Dambrot? He's doing what he wants to do.

3/18/2017 8:38 am  #225

Florida Gulf Coast coach Joe Dooley could be emerging as leading UMass basketball coaching candidate

I was hoping we could wrap this guy up.  I would hate to see him in the A10 with UMass. I hope Harper is going after him hard. The article also mentions Tony Barbee as a DU candidate.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Coahcing-Search-could-move-fast-for-UMass-now-8757376

Barbee would be a huge mistake.  I don't believe he is really a candiate.  His record at Auburn makes me cringe.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Barbee

Last edited by CLK (3/18/2017 8:49 am)

Board footera