Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2017 1:39 pm  #301

Re: New coach thread

King Rice is my choice. Sometimes when you go through stuff like he has, you are stronger than ever before. Think he would be great for the players and might be influential in retaining some as well. Here's hoping we can land him. Great fit for Duquesne IMO.

3/20/2017 1:52 pm  #302

CLK wrote:

All the media A-holes are out in force dissing Duquesne, and doing their best to dissuade King Rice.  

for the benefit of us out of towners who don't have access to the local media A holes, please cite specifics. Thank you

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/20/2017 2:16 pm  #303

Duques102 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

Don't like the link to Stallings necessarily.  Is that an advantage?  But seems like a solid pick otherwise.

Don't even see how it's relevant, everyone has to start somewhere.

Sorry just personal preference. 

Considering that I'm not in on the decision its relevance above simply a point of conversation - which I assume is going on here and not influencing major decisions - is not important. If I somehow stumbled on a board that features highly influential people I will stop commenting.

3/20/2017 2:27 pm  #304

Tejas_Duke wrote:

CLK wrote:

All the media A-holes are out in force dissing Duquesne, and doing their best to dissuade King Rice.  

for the benefit of us out of towners who don't have access to the local media A holes, please cite specifics. Thank you

Dick "Hoops" Weiss and a band of nasty trolls, among others. Weiss was a well-connected college basketball writer around the time Red Manning finished his playing career. Went on to the NY Daily News in his later years, where his "breaking news" was always a few days behind the monthly publications and his commentary was less relevant than S&H Green Stamps. He somehow found his way onto Twitter, along with his sidekick, The Bad Hairpiece, where he graces his followers with the wisdom that only a century-old buffoon could provide.

3/20/2017 3:01 pm  #305

Tejas_Duke wrote:

CLK wrote:

93.7 the Fan for one. Pitt hired a new AD today, so they've now moved on to bashing the Pitt football program. They'll get back to us once we make a hire.

3/20/2017 3:26 pm  #306

I assume they are talking bad on the steelers for signing Knile Davis.

3/20/2017 3:41 pm  #307

townsonkid wrote:

I assume they are talking bad on the steelers for signing Knile Davis.

Of course, and ripping on some defensive back they signed as well. You'd think the Steelers were the Cleveland Browns listening to them.

3/20/2017 3:42 pm  #308

Probably trashing Antonio Brown again.

3/20/2017 3:58 pm  #309

ElDuque wrote:

Probably trashing Antonio Brown again.

Yeah that was Ron Cook. If you listened to his radio show you would be convinced he is senile. All he does is trash everyone, including his young co host Andrew Filiponi who will likely move on to national talk radio soon as he is by far the most knowledgeable/talented guy at the station and he already does spot coverage for cbs sports national when they need somone. Its him and a bunch of yinzers on there. Then he turns around and kisses Roethlisberger and Bob Pompeanis ass like they are royalty, he makes me sick.

Cook was the guy who wrote the article in the PG that got national attention because he claimed that brown intentionally miss ran routes/was all about himself/pouted when steelers scored touchdowns in the playoffs when he wasn't the guy scoring, and said they should trade him.

He broadcasted his radio show from radio row at the super bowl like a week later because he was covering the game. This idiot legitimately thought he could get Antonio Brown to do an interview on the show with him 1 WEEK AFTER HE WROTE THE ANTONIO BROWN SLAM PIECE AND SUGGESTING HE SHOULD BE TRADED. Talk about arrogance.

Shockingly, Brown declined to be interviewed.

3/20/2017 4:00 pm  #310

Mulder wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

Don't like the link to Stallings necessarily.  Is that an advantage?  But seems like a solid pick otherwise.

Considering that I'm not in on the decision its relevance above simply a point of conversation - which I assume is going on here and not influencing major decisions - is not important. If I somehow stumbled on a board that features highly influential people I will stop commenting.

Sorry man not trying to come at you, I honestly have 0 influence or insight. I just meant I don't think it's relevant that he coached under Stallings with what he's done after that. His success and positive track record was a result of what he did after he wasn't with Stallings anymore, that's all I meant.

3/20/2017 4:04 pm  #311

I don't know about the rest of you, but this coaching search is killing my productivity at work. Constantly checking Twitter and this board for any kind of news. Sounds like an offer has been made and king is giving it some thought. Let's hope for the best.

3/20/2017 4:13 pm  #312

Dukes2012 wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but this coaching search is killing my productivity at work. Constantly checking Twitter and this board for any kind of news. Sounds like an offer has been made and king is giving it some thought. Let's hope for the best.

+1

3/20/2017 4:15 pm  #313

Duques102 wrote:

Mulder wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Sorry man not trying to come at you, I honestly have 0 influence or insight. I just meant I don't think it's relevant that he coached under Stallings with what he's done after that. His success and positive track record was a result of what he did after he wasn't with Stallings anymore, that's all I meant.

Understood. I just saw some comments on the board linking the two & while I like Rice I don't like Stsllings and so was trying to state - badly - that association with Stallings s isn't a plus to me. No problems with me on this.

3/20/2017 4:25 pm  #314

Josh Newman

NEW: King Rice has been linked to the Duquesne job, but it was a quiet afternoon.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/monmouth-university/2017/03/20/monmouth-basketball-king-rice-duquesne-basketball/99404556/

Last edited by CLK (3/20/2017 4:26 pm)

3/20/2017 4:44 pm  #315

I hope it's not drawn out like the Dambrot thing. If he's coming, let's go, if not, move on to the next candidate.

3/20/2017 5:24 pm  #316

I think this thread shows the potential of what DU has for a fan base. Been up for a month and a half and 27,000 have viewed it. It's really cool to see a lot of people I've never seen before posting and if you fall in that category, please continue to contribute and give your input and opinions, that's what this is here for. It's always great to hear from the variety of different people in different places and situations.

I think this shows if there is a reason to pay attention to Duquesne, there are tons of people looking to talk, cover, and consume the product that is the men's basketball program. If we're relevant, people will pay attention.

One common theme: we're all Duquesne Fans!

Now let's lock up King Rice and really start the turnaround!

I'm not surprised there wasn't an announcement today with Pitt Announcing the AD. Why would you try to compete with that? We've seen how the local media treats this program compared to Pitt. Why not have an announcement tomorrow. Basically dead sports wise, the announcement likely would be broadcast locally and covered all day long. Don't compete with Pitt or the Sweet Sixteen. Idk that anything will happen tomorrow but if I was calling the shots I would wait until tomorrow.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/20/2017 5:25 pm)

3/20/2017 6:24 pm  #317

I was just told by someone in the know (said he heard this, didn't confirm) that Calipari personally called DU on behalf of Tony Barbee. After being concerned to hear that initially I believe that means he's trying to recruit us, as in we are not trying to recruit him...

3/20/2017 6:28 pm  #318

Duques102 wrote:

I was just told by someone in the know (said he heard this, didn't confirm) that Calipari personally called DU on behalf of Tony Barbee. After being concerned to hear that initially I believe that means he's trying to recruit us, as in we are not trying to recruit him...

Throw in two McDonald's All Americans and we'll call it a deal.

3/20/2017 7:19 pm  #319

Duques102 wrote:

Not surprising and would make sense as being a "candidate." Candidate as in having head coaching experience and submitting a resume. I seem to recall Cal lobbying hard for Antigua to Duquesne back in 2012. You can say what you want about Ferry, but academic fraud plus horrendous records didn't occur here like it ended up at South Florida.

3/20/2017 7:25 pm  #320

The ultimate nice guy who finished last.

And now is gone.

3/20/2017 7:29 pm  #321

Brian wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Not surprising and would make sense as being a "candidate." Candidate as in having head coaching experience and submitting a resume. I seem to recall Cal lobbying hard for Antigua to Duquesne back in 2012. You can say what you want about Ferry, but academic fraud plus horrendous records didn't occur here like it ended up at South Florida.

Barbee had a player arrested for point shaving at Auburn and had a 49-75 (.395) record at Auburn. Same % as Ferry here.

3/20/2017 9:03 pm  #322

3/20/2017 9:05 pm  #323

PSN saying it is likely to be King Rice but no timetable on announcement as it is not finalized.

http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2017/03/20/duquesne-likely-hire-monmouths-king-rice/

3/20/2017 9:09 pm  #324

Slightly off topic but Jamari wheeler has a big picture at the top of his twitter account that says Committed Duquesne that the university put together and still has Duquesne commit in the account bio. Also retweeted the message about him opening his recruitment....I feel like if we really do have Rice we can keep everyone! Those players would respect a guy like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jamariwheeler5?lang=en

Last edited by Duques102 (3/20/2017 9:10 pm)

3/20/2017 9:13 pm  #325

Also OT: Will Wade is reportedly leaving VCU for LSU.

Board footera