Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2017 5:06 pm  #26

Re: We do not have a new coach

There are plenty of qualified coaches still available.  If someone doesn't want the job, then so be it.  If some player wants to leave, go.  We won 10 games last year, so the talent wasn't exactly turning into wins.

3/24/2017 10:35 pm  #27

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself to anyone who may actually read what I post but I'll say it another way - anyone who didn't see this coming hasn't been paying attention.  When people pushed for Ferry to be fired - and I did agree reluctantly that it was perhaps time for him to go - if they didn't expect this circus, this lack of interest in the job, the opportunity to stay where you are and use Duquesne's search to perhaps fatten your wallet - they haven't been paying attention.  You never were going to get the coach you wanted no matter how many lists you made.

I would hope that Harper did this because he thought it was best (unilike Amodio) and didn't just listen to people complain.  And I hope he realized that this was going to be a tough sell no matter what.  He had to right? 

For what it's worth and at this point, my take would be try Lombardi and hope that he knows the situation from his past experience or hire Mike Rice,  It's going to continue to be a circus anyway so go with the proven, though lower level coach from IUP or let the circus play out and hire Rice.  Hiring Lombardi wouldn't be a loss because of local ties.  And hiring Rice if he can prove he has reformed can be shown as someone willling to offer forgiveness and that's right in our wheelhouse - that's what we do.  I see little value in going with a different low level coach or some assistant.

3/24/2017 11:13 pm  #28

Mulder wrote:

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself to anyone who may actually read what I post but I'll say it another way - anyone who didn't see this coming hasn't been paying attention. When people pushed for Ferry to be fired - and I did agree reluctantly that it was perhaps time for him to go - if they didn't expect this circus, this lack of interest in the job, the opportunity to stay where you are and use Duquesne's search to perhaps fatten your wallet - they haven't been paying attention. You never were going to get the coach you wanted no matter how many lists you made.

I would hope that Harper did this because he thought it was best (unilike Amodio) and didn't just listen to people complain. And I hope he realized that this was going to be a tough sell no matter what. He had to right?

For what it's worth and at this point, my take would be try Lombardi and hope that he knows the situation from his past experience or hire Mike Rice, It's going to continue to be a circus anyway so go with the proven, though lower level coach from IUP or let the circus play out and hire Rice. Hiring Lombardi wouldn't be a loss because of local ties. And hiring Rice if he can prove he has reformed can be shown as someone willling to offer forgiveness and that's right in our wheelhouse - that's what we do. I see little value in going with a different low level coach or some assistant.

I pretty much agree with you. Most of the other prospects are waiting for the fallout from Indiana, Georgetown, and maybe UCLA. Get Lombardi or Rice in here, and let's got moving.

Board footera