Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/25/2017 9:06 am  #1

It's time

A friend filled me in on Dambrot. Let's face it, he was never coming here. I hope his conversation with Harper was all about getting his thoughts on the market.

Personally I think it's time to reach out to the most logical candidate. His name is Mike Rice.

Rice is a winner. He knows how to recruit in the east. He knows Pittsburgh. He has ties to the university.

If Rice decides he doesn't want us then it's Mark Driscoll time.

Don't get me wrong. I trust Harper and I will support his hire regardless. I have no clue what's really happening and I honestly don't want to know the details.

I want someone here who will win and energize the program.

Mike Rice would do that.

3/25/2017 9:20 am  #2

Re: It's time

ElDuque I do believe it is time for Harper to wrap this up.  It has only been 12 days but with all the bad press it feels a lot longer.

How about this guy....Jerrod Calhoun

He is the head coach at Fairmont State and a fomer assistant to Bob Huggins. His team plays for the D2 National Championship today at 3:00 on CBS. Someone floated this name by me last week and I didn't think much of it. I am now warming up to the idea.

http://www.wdtv.com/content/sports/Jerrod-Calhoun-pre-game-press-conference-D-2-Championship-417046633.html

http://www.fightingfalcons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2

Last edited by CLK (3/25/2017 9:40 am)

3/25/2017 9:58 am  #3

https://twitter.com/adrianpeterson/status/845493947199901696

Guys, read this tweet from Adrian Peterson and tell me it doesn't relate exactly to DUs situation.

I mentioned yesterday I think Duquesne should release a statement, I would like to see something in this vein.

Last edited by Duques102 (3/25/2017 10:12 am)

3/25/2017 10:09 am  #4

Not sure if this has been shared yet on the board (I haven't seen it) but there's a good piece on Mike Rice the Times did back in May 2016...
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/30/sports/ncaabasketball/once-disgraced-mike-rice-finds-redemption-in-youth-basketball.html?_r=0

Couple of highlights...
"I always ask my players 'What's the sign of a bad player?', He makes the same mistakes. I've got to have the same approach to what I do. You can't make the same mistakes".
He has had numerous conversations about getting back into coaching, but hasn't received an offer. 
He knows the AAU circuit quite well and could help recruit through that channel.
If parents trust him to work with their kids on multiple levels - I think it may be time for a college to trust him again. Everyone loves a comeback story. Plus there could be this great theme of building/growing. Rice's Redemption, Palumbo Renovation, Duquesne back to winning. That is, of course, the renovations are approved and Rice is able to get the team to win...

If all the "turndowns" are in fact turndowns and the candidate well is thinning, I think I'm on the Mike Rice train.

3/25/2017 10:19 am  #5

Ifky 07 wrote:

Not sure if this has been shared yet on the board (I haven't seen it) but there's a good piece on Mike Rice the Times did back in May 2016...
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/30/sports/ncaabasketball/once-disgraced-mike-rice-finds-redemption-in-youth-basketball.html?_r=0

Couple of highlights...
"I always ask my players 'What's the sign of a bad player?', He makes the same mistakes. I've got to have the same approach to what I do. You can't make the same mistakes".
He has had numerous conversations about getting back into coaching, but hasn't received an offer. 
He knows the AAU circuit quite well and could help recruit through that channel.
If parents trust him to work with their kids on multiple levels - I think it may be time for a college to trust him again. Everyone loves a comeback story. Plus there could be this great theme of building/growing. Rice's Redemption, Palumbo Renovation, Duquesne back to winning. That is, of course, the renovations are approved and Rice is able to get the team to win...

If all the "turndowns" are in fact turndowns and the candidate well is thinning, I think I'm on the Mike Rice train.

/Agreed.  He should at least be considered.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/25/2017 10:25 am  #6

The problem with Rice is the first time he yells at a player either on the bench or on the court or a video is leaked(almost guaranteed) of him yelling at players during practice, his past problems will return.
It is not fair but that, as see it, is life in the current college basketball world.

3/25/2017 10:44 am  #7

Econ69 wrote:

The problem with Rice is the first time he yells at a player either on the bench or on the court or a video is leaked(almost guaranteed) of him yelling at players during practice, his past problems will return.
It is not fair but that, as see it, is life in the current college basketball world.

Bobby Knight seemed to have a pretty lucrative career post chair throw. Then again, being a coach with the most wins in NCAA history tends to offer some advantages I guess. I'm not comparing Rice's coaching abilities to that of Knight - what I am comparing is that if you can survive a scenario as public as throwing a chair at a referee during a game - and go on to still coach at that school for 15 more years...then coach at another school...then be an analyst...I think Mike Rice will be able to return to the college basketball coaching realm.

3/25/2017 10:54 am  #8

Econ69 wrote:

I think there is a difference between yelling at your players if it's constructive and not.  Mikes been working with kids these past few years and at 47 probable knows how to handle things better.  At this moment, he's worth a chance.  

3/25/2017 11:29 am  #9

CLK wrote:

ElDuque I do believe it is time for Harper to wrap this up.  It has only been 12 days but with all the bad press it feels a lot longer.

How about this guy....Jerrod Calhoun

He is the head coach at Fairmont State and a fomer assistant to Bob Huggins. His team plays for the D2 National Championship today at 3:00 on CBS. Someone floated this name by me last week and I didn't think much of it. I am now warming up to the idea.

http://www.wdtv.com/content/sports/Jerrod-Calhoun-pre-game-press-conference-D-2-Championship-417046633.html

http://www.fightingfalcons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2

I'd have no problem with him, although Lombardi was in the title game a couple of years ago, and has a longer track record. I'd rather see either of them than Driscoll.

3/25/2017 4:21 pm  #10

Just my opinion...No to Mike Rice!  We can't settle- that is how we ended up with Ferry.  Folks need to get away from jumping off the ledge - The following reminders are brought to you by FACTS:

-Harper fired a coach who did not win in 5 years and said something unheard of in college basketball...if anyone else ever heard this before in their entire life come forward:  "It would take him 10 years to rebuild the program!"
-The players leaving played this past year and our record was terrible - accept it and move on
-Who would want to come and play for a coach who abused his former players??
-I know it is often said, but Duquesne needs to build a program, not a season
-Okay, who of you haven't taken a chance on a new job for a better position even if you heard that your new position may not be ideal???  Yep, many of us.  Someone who is "qualified" will step forward.

The following are NOT facts and I have nothing to back it up:  I believe that someone in the athletic department, or associated with Duquesne...whether pr or an announcer has leaked information and was close with Ferry.  Again, someone is putting this stuff out and I CAN tell you it isn't Harper.

That's all folks!

3/25/2017 6:07 pm  #11

But FAM, Mike Rice is a winner. He's a good coach and he recruits well.

Mike Rice would not be settling. I think Dambrot would have been settling.

3/25/2017 6:42 pm  #12

By settling I mean taking a chance on someone who was on 60 minutes for abusing his players. I know he can coach... but he recruited well BEFORE the scandal and my thoughts are coaches will bring up his past abuse. Just my thoughts.

3/26/2017 8:02 am  #13

" I would like to remind you that there is no saint without a past or a sinner without a future. "

Pope Francis

3/26/2017 11:17 am  #14

I have no problem with Rice.  He would tap us into an exceptional recruiting pipeline.  The anger management courses must have worked, he seems to be doing a good job as a high school coach.  As far as that goes, I know these are different times from when many of us were young, but did he really harm anyone?  Hey, most of us got yelled at somewhere along the way by a coach, boss, even a loved one.  Are we that damaged?  I'm sure I was treated worse by the good Sisters of Mercy - may God watch over them forever.

Sixty Minutes exists to sell commercial time, they sensationalize everything.  We aren't exactly perfect either.  We are two entities in need of reconciliation. Good match. 

But I'm still open to Everhart.

​Whomever we get, give him ten years.  Seriously, he will need it.  Just sit down and be patient.  If we get a good guy, it will eventually happen, but he needs to know we are behind him and he needs to know we will be patient.

3/26/2017 12:27 pm  #15

Sounds like a 10-year plan; hmm, I thought that statement by Jim Ferry lead to his demise. 

Of course the new coach will get our support, because he won't be blamed for the Everhart firing.  This resentment over the firing made it a tough road for Jim Ferry.  Unfortunately, a bit more success would have allowed JF to win over more of the disgruntled Everhart supporters, but that never happened.

3/26/2017 12:46 pm  #16

levon1975 wrote:

Sounds like a 10-year plan; hmm, I thought that statement by Jim Ferry lead to his demise.

Of course the new coach will get our support, because he won't be blamed for the Everhart firing. This resentment over the firing made it a tough road for Jim Ferry. Unfortunately, a bit more success would have allowed JF to win over more of the disgruntled Everhart supporters, but that never happened.

that was kind of my take on Ferry. I didn't dislike him off the bat, but am willing to admit that my "pragmatic" support for Ron, colored my judgement and made it really hard for me to warm to him. And of course as time went on, he made that increasingly more easy to do.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/26/2017 12:56 pm  #17

levon1975 wrote:

Of course the new coach will get our support, because he won't be blamed for the Everhart firing. This resentment over the firing made it a tough road for Jim Ferry. Unfortunately, a bit more success would have allowed JF to win over more of the disgruntled Everhart supporters, but that never happened.

​Of course it will take the new guy ten years.  Remember, Ferry was "at a modest plateau" when we jumped off the edge of said plateau back into the abyss.  Now we're back to where we were when Everhart worked his minor miracle.

​We just need a bigger miracle.

​I don't blame Ferry for Everhart's firing.  Who could?  But it is crystal clear what is going to take to get us to some degree of respectability.

3/26/2017 1:21 pm  #18

levon1975 wrote:

Beg pardon, but what got Ferry fired was his record. Which happened because he isn't cut out to coach at this level.

In a nutshell, that's what got him fired.

3/26/2017 2:32 pm  #19

Stevie Duke wrote:

I have no problem with Rice.  He would tap us into an exceptional recruiting pipeline.  The anger management courses must have worked, he seems to be doing a good job as a high school coach.  As far as that goes, I know these are different times from when many of us were young, but did he really harm anyone?  Hey, most of us got yelled at somewhere along the way by a coach, boss, even a loved one.  Are we that damaged?  I'm sure I was treated worse by the good Sisters of Mercy - may God watch over them forever.

Sixty Minutes exists to sell commercial time, they sensationalize everything.  We aren't exactly perfect either.  We are two entities in need of reconciliation. Good match. 

But I'm still open to Everhart.

​Whomever we get, give him ten years.  Seriously, he will need it.  Just sit down and be patient.  If we get a good guy, it will eventually happen, but he needs to know we are behind him and he needs to know we will be patient.

I break into a cold sweat every time I see a penguin--thanks Sister Rosalia!  Honestly though, I doubt Rice will get a job anytime soon at D1 level.  His rants were not tough coaching, which anyone who has played sports has had, it was pure abuse.  I also don't view him as a savior.  Who knows if he can recruit anymore?  He wasn't exactly burning it up at Rutgers--which is probably why he started losing it.  Too much uncertainty and way too much baggage.

3/26/2017 2:39 pm  #20

I think I would rather see Rice working as an assistant in the D1 ranks for awhile first.  I still wouldn't be too upset if we hired him.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/26/2017 7:30 pm  #21

levon1975 wrote:

Of course the new coach will get our support, because he won't be blamed for the Everhart firing. This resentment over the firing made it a tough road for Jim Ferry.

I would respectfully disagree.  Nobody with half a brain would blame Ferry for the Everhart firing or how it was handled.  He had nothing to do with any of that.  A true fan of the Dukes would want to see their coach succeed, no matter who he was or how he got there.  But in his first year, Ferry just couldn't shut up about how bad the players were that he inherited, & in subsequent years, about the mess he was left with & "what went on before."  This year he was quoted as saying many times that "now Duquesne has a program," as tho' Ron was some bumbling fool who didn't know the difference between the zone defense & the free-throw line.  So speaking for myself, if I was rooting for Ferry to succeed, I also didn't mind seeing this arrogance knocked down a notch at times.   All the guy had to do was show a little class.  If resentment over Ron's firing made Ferry's job difficult, it was a problem he created himself.

Board footera