Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2017 10:50 pm  #101

Re: Keith Dambrot

lilpav30 wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/all_ohio/status/846560509658746881

Another offer. Wow is he busy

I wonder if there were kids he was on, that wouldn't go to a MAC school, but would come to the A 10?

3/27/2017 10:51 pm  #102

IDK, I'm old I guess, but I cant find them on twitter.  Seems like old stuff from their HS days.  

Regardless, I love the change already.  Seems busy, and I know part of that is the situation he is stepping in to, but there is no down time, its go go go.  I like it!

3/27/2017 11:06 pm  #103

curious, but the kids who said they were following Dambrot to DU have since taken down those posts on twitter.  two things, maybe, 1 is there isnt room(meaning our guys are staying) or 2 they cant say anything until contract signed?  IDK the rules when it comes to this stuff. who does?

3/27/2017 11:34 pm  #104

I'm guessing Coach Dambrot is familiar with John Walker III as he had four players on this past season's Zips squad from Houston.

3/27/2017 11:59 pm  #105

I like this guy a whole lot.

"Getting to know Keith Dambrot":

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pYiRiqHHTRA

3/28/2017 12:44 am  #106

As soon as I get up tomorrow calling Duquesne and getting those season tickets for upcoming season.To
all the folks on this board ,you are the best fans in the world.I wish we could all meet tomorrow and get
drunk and raise hell at this press conference.The joy I feel for this hire is the best. Id love  for you guys
going to this press conference to get in Paul Zeises face and talk some smack with him.Congratulations
to Harper,Gormley and all of you guys for hanging with the Dukes so long.

3/28/2017 5:06 am  #107

stew wrote:

As soon as I get up tomorrow calling Duquesne and getting those season tickets for upcoming season.To
all the folks on this board ,you are the best fans in the world.I wish we could all meet tomorrow and get
drunk and raise hell at this press conference.The joy I feel for this hire is the best. Id love  for you guys
going to this press conference to get in Paul Zeises face and talk some smack with him.Congratulations

We've never met Stew, but you might be my favorite person on the planet. Well, maybe #2 behind my wife. Um, I do have two beautiful daughters. And a son-in-law and a son-in-law-to be. And the dog.

​Crap, man, you're in my top 10! Love your passion!

3/28/2017 6:02 am  #108

I'm happy this worked out well for the university and the fans.   Go Dukes!

3/28/2017 6:29 am  #109

Some good videos on him running practices.

3/28/2017 6:57 am  #110

I wonder if Dambrot can persuade Lewis, Mike and Sanders to stay?
If he can plus what he can bring on his own and his demonstrated skill
as a coach, a new era may begin.

3/28/2017 7:09 am  #111

Do release with presser at 12:00pm or later preferably before 6:00. Mondays are traditionally slow news days as are Tuesdays ?

3/28/2017 7:11 am  #112

Do release with presser at 12:00pm or later preferably before 6:00. Mondays are traditionally slow news days as are Tuesdays ?

3/28/2017 7:12 am  #113

My column on the Dambrot hire for those interested. http://dystnow.com/2017/03/28/column-dambrot-to-duquesne-a-home-run/

3/28/2017 7:22 am  #114

Wow, after reading these posts over the past two days, I was curious about one thing: where are we building a statue for this guy. Can we at least see if he can win more than 10 games before doing so? Can we at least see if he can recruit? Can we at least see that he is genuine about building a winner and didn't come for the fat contract that will end his career? Every hire this program has made over the past 4 decades - save for Porter - came with good credentials. Be optimistic but judge it on results, not potential. We've had enough of that.

3/28/2017 7:36 am  #115

rittersdiner wrote:

Wow, after reading these posts over the past two days, I was curious about one thing: where are we building a statue for this guy. Can we at least see if he can win more than 10 games before doing so? Can we at least see if he can recruit? Can we at least see that he is genuine about building a winner and didn't come for the fat contract that will end his career? Every hire this program has made over the past 4 decades - save for Porter - came with good credentials. Be optimistic but judge it on results, not potential. We've had enough of that.

I knew the negativity would soon surface.

3/28/2017 7:38 am  #116

Are you kidding me,... its time to Celebrate a little bit  !!!!!...We have been so long in the desert that this for sure a  a victory for all suffering Duquesne  Basketball fans !!!...It's represents HOPE , something we haven't had in 40 years!!!  But most of all it represents NEW Commitment to Winning !!!

3/28/2017 7:46 am  #117

CalDuke wrote:

Are you kidding me,... its time to Celebrate a little bit  !!!!!...We have been so long in the desert that this for sure a  a victory for all suffering Duquesne  Basketball fans !!!...It's represents HOPE , something we haven't had in 40 years!!!  But most of all it represents NEW Commitment to Winning !!!

I guess the advantage of being old is that you have seen a lot. I'm not being negative. I'm being realistic. Show me first. Just like Satalin, Edgar, Carroll, Everhart, etc. Fans had the same bluster for these coaches. Celebrate if you want but demand results. That's how a program is built.

3/28/2017 7:58 am  #118

rittersdiner wrote:

I guess the advantage of being old is that you have seen a lot. I'm not being negative. I'm being realistic. Show me first. Just like Satalin, Edgar, Carroll, Everhart, etc. Fans had the same bluster for these coaches. Celebrate if you want but demand results. That's how a program is built.

I was thinking along the very same lines last night, but consider, Dambrot is not: (since Satalin)

1.  Hot shot Assistant from a big program, who flames out (John Carroll) probably many more have done this than have succeeded.  Assistant Coach to head coach is probably the Peter Principle in action at all levels of coaching.

2.  Small time conference success (Edgar, Ferry), who run a style that works at that level (Edgar) or have their system that needs to catch lightning in a bottle with the right personnel (Ferry). I have trouble classifying Ron here because of his modest success on the Bluff, but I guess he fits the general meme.

3.  Old warhorse, still coaching for a paycheck (Nee)

4.  Total flyer (DAP)

We have a coach who has won 20 games every single year for over a decade with the same mid major program!  and who makes, at least the NIT about 40% of the time over that period!

This is the best hire Duquesne has had in the modern era!  Period! End of statement!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/28/2017 8:12 am  #119

Tejas_Duke wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

I was thinking along the very same lines last night, but consider, Dambrot is not: (since Satalin)

1.  Hot shot Assistant from a big program, who flames out (John Carroll) probably many more have done this than have succeeded.  Assistant Coach to head coach is probably the Peter Principle in action at all levels of coaching.

2.  Small time conference success (Edgar, Ferry), who run a style that works at that level (Edgar) or have their system that needs to catch lightning in a bottle with the right personnel (Ferry). I have trouble classifying Ron here because of his modest success on the Bluff, but I guess he fits the general meme.

3.  Old warhorse, still coaching for a paycheck (Nee)

4.  Total flyer (DAP)

We have a coach who has won 20 games every single year for over a decade with the same mid major program!  and who makes, at least the NIT about 40% of the time over that period!

This is the best hire Duquesne has had in the modern era!  Period! End of statement!

I agree. On paper.

3/28/2017 8:13 am  #120

stew wrote:

my 21st is tomorrow. you want it you got it

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

3/28/2017 8:25 am  #121

yak-rbc wrote:

my 21st is tomorrow. you want it you got it

21st Birthday or 21st press conference with Duquesne hiring the coach to bring them back to glory?  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

3/28/2017 8:56 am  #122

1. Congrats to the Duquesne family for recruiting and landing a veteran coach with an outstanding rep and record!  From a distance, I have always thought that money was a limiting factor at Duquesne, as it is at most private schools. Perhaps an alum or two finally got together to fund a significant coaching contract and other improvements to the athletic facilities.
2. A much improved Duquesne team makes for a stronger A-10. A stronger A-10 benefits all of the schools.
3. I remember a few decades back when Butler was pretty much down and out.  Then Butler hit on the right coach, who hit on the right recruits, and the wins started to add up and the post-season tournaments grew in importance, and many seasons later you have the Butler of today. It starts with the right head coach and Duquesne may have finally gotten their man.
4. Good luck to the Dukes.  It will be fun watching your progress to the upper tier of the A-10!

3/28/2017 9:05 am  #123

rittersdiner wrote:

CalDuke wrote:

You'd  on a steak dinner, I think.

3/28/2017 9:05 am  #124

Wow - reading through this entire thread is like a roller coaster.  What it says about twitter, facebook, news and fake news is amazing. 

Duquesne getting Dambrot is like coming out of the desert after 40 years at least to this point.  Is it possible that we have finally hit it right?  It sure seems like it.  It's sure hard to be pessimistic right now anyway (which is my usual state when it comes to DU hoops).

3/28/2017 9:09 am  #125

rittersdiner wrote:

I think the difference today is that we are not just celebrating a coaching change. This is the first time that it appears that we have a coach, an AD, and a President who share a similar vision. Not just about outcome, but about the steps necessary to achieve that outcome. We have had good coaches who were hamstrung by bad leadership, bad decisions, and poor support in the past. I am all in with Team GHD.

As far as demanding results... yes, that will come. It certainly came with the past coaching regime. When the results weren't there, he wasn't there anymore. 

This was a long two weeks, but I appreciate Mr. Harper's commitment to the process, his commitment to keeping above the fray of shitty media, and his insistence on securing the necessary support of administration and a coach who is willing to get down and dirty (even before his official announcement) with rebuilding and building the program.

Go Dukes!!

Board footera