Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2017 10:44 pm  #1

Mike Lewis II Update

Idk if anyone else saw this but at 11:20 I saw Lewis posted on his twitter he would be answering any questions on his email until 11:30. I asked him if he had made a decision or was leaning in any direction. I also asked him what he thought of the new staff. Because it was an open question and answer, I am copy and pasting his response below:

" Great coach and great coaching staff and still taking it day by day haven't made any decision up yet"

Last edited by Duques102 (3/29/2017 10:45 pm)

3/29/2017 10:58 pm  #2

Re: Mike Lewis II Update

Are you a student?

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

3/29/2017 11:00 pm  #3

Simms wrote:

Are you a student?

Graduated in 2014.

3/30/2017 9:27 am  #4

I would like Lewis to stay but I ask him why did you come to Duquesne ,to be mediocre ,never expecting to
go to a NCAA tourney or do you want something more for yourself,to be part of something greater than
just being a big fish in a small pond.Help us transform that change to be remembered for leading Duquesne to something unthinkable 2 weeks ago.

3/30/2017 10:24 am  #5

Mike is a very good player who is already a big fish in the Atlantic 10 pond. I have a suspicion that with Coach Dambrodt, if the two Mikes stay, that next year the Dukes are going to be the surprise team in the A10. Think of how many close games we lost the past two years. Coach D's record of achievement suggests that we win those. We might even nip at the heels of one of the tourneys. If Mike leaves, I suspect the Dukes will be a winning team. Transfer down, all will be good for Mike as the big fish in the small one-bid pond. Transfer to a P6 and the year's sit will make him a tad rusty plus the big boys will over-recruit him. Who knows then? I can't help but think of L.G. Gill. He would have played 28-37 minutes here and have been the big fish. Instead, at Maryland, he was not even a minnow at 6 minutes a game.

Whether Mike stays or goes, Coach D gives me a renewed vibe that I haven't felt since the Atkins/Arnold  group which was our last championship year. Coach D will build something grand. I hope Mike is a cornerstone. But, if he goes, good luck to him. The Dukes are rising with Gormley, Harper and Dambrodt. Go Dukes!

3/30/2017 10:32 am  #6

HookShot, the '81 team lost to Pitt in the Eastern Eight tournament title game. The '09 team lost to Temple in the final. The last championship team we had was '77, before Atkins and Arnold were Dukes.

3/30/2017 10:33 am  #7

HookShot wrote:

Mike is a very good player who is already a big fish in the Atlantic 10 pond. I have a suspicion that with Coach Dambrodt, if the two Mikes stay, that next year the Dukes are going to be the surprise team in the A10. Think of how many close games we lost the past two years. Coach D's record of achievement suggests that we win those. We might even nip at the heels of one of the tourneys. If Mike leaves, I suspect the Dukes will be a winning team. Transfer down, all will be good for Mike as the big fish in the small one-bid pond. Transfer to a P6 and the year's sit will make him a tad rusty plus the big boys will over-recruit him. Who knows then? I can't help but think of L.G. Gill. He would have played 28-37 minutes here and have been the big fish. Instead, at Maryland, he was not even a minnow at 6 minutes a game.

Whether Mike stays or goes, Coach D gives me a renewed vibe that I haven't felt since the Atkins/Arnold  group which was our last championship year. Coach D will build something grand. I hope Mike is a cornerstone. But, if he goes, good luck to him. The Dukes are rising with Gormley, Harper and Dambrodt. Go Dukes!

I agree with or without the freshman we should be solid but I hope they stay to be a part of it. Like you said I could see us making a big jump next year if they stay.

No way he leaves to transfer down, if he leaves he'll move up and risk not fitting in after sitting out a year.

3/30/2017 10:49 am  #8

Thanks, El D. Memory is a sad thing to lose. I thought we tied for a regular season championship. I take your word, as I am really old!

3/30/2017 12:27 pm  #9

I'd guess that the 3 recruits have kept in contact with each other as well as the current team members. They've been anticipating playing together for months and now that we've made the right hire (according to most) I can see them deciding to honor their commitments. I'd imagine sitting out a year would be tough on these kids who love to compete.

3/30/2017 12:40 pm  #10

WashPaRick wrote:

I'd guess that the 3 recruits have kept in contact with each other as well as the current team members. They've been anticipating playing together for months and now that we've made the right hire (according to most) I can see them deciding to honor their commitments. I'd imagine sitting out a year would be tough on these kids who love to compete.

Exactly, how can you justify with yourself sitting out a year when you were willing to play for Ferry when you could still come to the school that recruited you when the new coach is OBVIOUSLY an upgrade on paper and you have the facilities upgrade coming.

He has to be he type of coach that players love to play for when you see how close he and Lebron continue to be despite Lebron becoming one of the most famous people on the planet earth.

I think the only way they don't stay is if a dream school comes calling. Like you said why else would you leave a situation you committed to when the situation has now become 10x better here.

3/30/2017 12:42 pm  #11

Wheeler was granted his release today. Wouldn't count on him sticking around. Haven't heard much from Walker or big Lew during this process.

3/30/2017 12:53 pm  #12

Dukes2012 wrote:

Wheeler was granted his release today. Wouldn't count on him sticking around. Haven't heard much from Walker or big Lew during this process.

I just went and looked and your right, he is definitely gone. He cited the fact that because Ferry is gone and Ferry was the guy who recruited him he is decommiting and re opening his recruitment, sounds like he's gone for good. Oh well, keep Lewis 2 and you got the transfer, pg should be ok next year especially with open schollies to still fill needs. I would be much more excited if Walker stayed anyway.

Regardless, if the mikes stay and all the recruits leave I would be fine with that. Those two guys could be leaders and the face of this program going forward. It would be awesome to see them make the year 2 jump here. That would be two incredible pieces for Dambrot to build around.

3/30/2017 1:08 pm  #13

If the guys we already have on the roster stay, I expect that we'll be much better than this past year. If the other 2 recruits stay, we might be surprisingly good.

3/30/2017 1:17 pm  #14

duq81 wrote:

If the guys we already have on the roster stay, I expect that we'll be much better than this past year. If the other 2 recruits stay, we might be surprisingly good.

absolutely true !!!  there is some talent there it just needs the proper in game direction.

3/30/2017 2:08 pm  #15

Duques102 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Exactly, how can you justify with yourself sitting out a year when you were willing to play for Ferry when you could still come to the school that recruited you when the new coach is OBVIOUSLY an upgrade on paper and you have the facilities upgrade coming.

He has to be he type of coach that players love to play for when you see how close he and Lebron continue to be despite Lebron becoming one of the most famous people on the planet earth.

I think the only way they don't stay is if a dream school comes calling. Like you said why else would you leave a situation you committed to when the situation has now become 10x better here.

I agree but I think kids just think about this stuff differently.  Once they get a little perspective kids start to think more logically as you stated here.

3/30/2017 3:18 pm  #16

And, to your point Mulder, the people influencing them as well.

3/30/2017 6:40 pm  #17

Sarah K. Spencer‏ 

Mike Lewis II says he hasn't made a final decision but will probably stay at Duquesne.

Last edited by CLK (3/30/2017 6:41 pm)

3/30/2017 6:49 pm  #18

Fingers and toes crossed. It makes sense to stay. If after next year, things don't work out, he can transfer, and still have two years left.

3/30/2017 6:50 pm  #19

Please stay Mike. You, Ike Mike, & coach Dambrot will be awesome together! You have a chance ti be those legendary guys that made DU great again.

3/30/2017 6:58 pm  #20

Dukes2012 wrote:

Jim Ferry retweeted a post about Wheeler reopening his recruitment.  Strikes me as a weird thing for Ferry to be doing.

3/30/2017 7:00 pm  #21

Officer Dribble wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Jim Ferry retweeted a post about Wheeler reopening his recruitment.  Strikes me as a weird thing for Ferry to be doing.

At first I thought it was weird, but then I took a less cynical view that it's probably just him supporting a kid he has decent relationship with. The retweet was worded as an advertisement for wheeler's talent and services.

3/30/2017 7:04 pm  #22

For what it is worth, I was watching via Facebook Live & Mile Lewis's mom (I believe) was on there too commenting (positively) as Coach Dambrot was speaking. It'd be hard to hear what he had to say & not be impressed.

3/30/2017 7:26 pm  #23

Where can I watch this video of presser at??  YouTube link doesn't have a video feed and sound isn't working

3/30/2017 7:33 pm  #24

lilpav30 wrote:

Where can I watch this video of presser at?? YouTube link doesn't have a video feed and sound isn't working

It may take aminute to play... Actually starts the Presser at two minute mark

Last edited by CLK (3/30/2017 7:36 pm)

3/30/2017 8:16 pm  #25

"Think big"!! You know I love that! A lot of posters had become so dejected, that they've been thinking small. Dambrot is thinking big! Man, I can't overstate how good that sounds.

Board footera