Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2017 12:09 pm  #1

Disturbing Article

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/15/15312836/usc-trojans-lynn-swann-new-womens-basketball-coach-search-ncaa

The last paragraph says:
"Swish Appeal reported that Duquesne head coach Dan Burt and Cheryl Miller are names circulating the rumor mill of who may finally step in and coach the Power 5 school."

I guess Coach Burt's name will pop up a lot for jobs. Nonetheless, it just shows what a gem we have.

Last edited by HookShot (4/15/2017 12:12 pm)

4/17/2017 3:32 pm  #2

Re: Disturbing Article

I have a love-hate relationship with USC, as an alum, a former broadcaster for USC men's basketball; someone who was there during the women's back to back NCAA championships in the mid-1980s- and has seen a steady decline of the program and institutional support over the past 20+ years.

​USC's AD, Lynn Swann, has already demonstrated he could care less about the women's program.  USC's alumni driven culture is football.  Nothing else matters.. Their Senior Athletic Director of Women's Sports lacks a coherent vision of what WBB should be, she and Swann are not willing to pay good $$$ to get the kind of coach who could turn the program around, and she lacks an understanding on how to effectively market the program- based on a history of failures.

The Galen Center is a beautiful venue for basketball, but attendance at women's games is anemic..

​Overall, a poor environment for a new coach to step into.  I wish in my heart they can eventually find someone strong enough to demand a degree of autonomy as well as be empowered to re-build the program.  Because of their recruiting blunders, not sure if they can succeed.

4/17/2017 8:09 pm  #3

I'd be shocked and hurt if Dan ever left this job. I mean ever. He bleeds Duquesne more than just about anyone ever has. There's something about this school, this city, and his people that means he will never leave.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

4/18/2017 6:03 pm  #4

I'll be holding my breath till USC hires s coach.  Look I think it's inevitable that this is going to occur one day.  I just hope not for a few more years.

4/19/2017 1:01 pm  #5

If he hires Burt over C Miller, I would think he is planning on getting fired and just wants to get it over with.  Nothing against Burt, but Miller is a legend out there, an all time great and would recruit the west coast like Geno recruits all Americans.

But the money might be too much to pass on if they do indeed offer him.  USC can makes Pitt's offer to SMS look like small timey D3 stuff.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/19/2017 1:03 pm)

4/19/2017 3:44 pm  #6

Cheryl Miller was a great bb player (watched her in person @ USC), but she cannot coach at the level required to compete in the Pac-12.  I doubt that USC would repeat their mistake from 4 years ago (unless they are desperate), hiring another great player, Cynthia Cooper-Dyke (who I also watched back in the day), a great human being too, but proved she could not coach Power 5 basketball.

​USC is almost out of options.  They have embarrassed themselves.  One recruit is leaving and others may follow..

4/20/2017 6:18 pm  #7

Coach Burt and Coach Lea are on a recuiting trip today so hopefully this story is put to rest. 

Actually all the coaches are on the trail.  Coach Woj and Coach Schmidt at separate locations as well today.

4/20/2017 6:30 pm  #8

Happy to inform you that Coach Burt will NOT go to USC under any circumstances.  Learned that directly from the Coach himself.  You can take that to the bank!

4/20/2017 7:35 pm  #9

sperlman wrote:

Happy to inform you that Coach Burt will NOT go to USC under any circumstances.  Learned that directly from the Coach himself.  You can take that to the bank!

Great news.  From what I read USC is a hot mess.  People seemed to turn it down because of the pay. 

And Lynn Swann appears to be over his head as AD.  Didn't he replace Pat Haden?   I guess Troy Palamulu or Carson Palmer will be the next AD.  Apparently having any experience as an AD is not a prerequisite.

4/21/2017 3:10 pm  #10

Good news!  I don't think that Dan has any interest in leaving Duquesne at this point or in the near future.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming season, after working in some new guards last year, we should be a much better team next season.  Hopefully one or more "bigs" can fill the void left by Amadea's graduation.  There should be some good competition for playing time in the frontcourt.

Board footera