Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2017 9:59 pm  #51

Re: Final roster

Highly regarded player will NOT play college basketball (anywhere) because Jim Ferry was fired and Dambrot was hired at DU? 

KD managed to keep Mike Lewis and scored some recruiting wins, but he never contacted the prized recruit for next year?

It's not making sense.There may be some other issues....

5/17/2017 11:08 pm  #52

Answer.... When Coach Dambroot was hired he said in his press conference that it appeared one of Ferry's signed recruits was most likely going to be a non-qualifier.

5/17/2017 11:09 pm  #53

WashPaRick wrote:

Seems odd that coach wouldn't have reached out to him. 

That what I thought! Guess this is a storyline to only watch and see how it progresses.

5/17/2017 11:10 pm  #54

Fawn Liebowitz wrote:

Answer.... When Coach Dambroot was hired he said in his press conference that it appeared one of Ferry's signed recruits was most likely going to be a non-qualifier.

Makes sense. Looks like we dodged a bullet.

5/18/2017 4:09 am  #55

Every coin has two sides. So if it's a matter of no one reaching out to him after he de-committed:
​1. His de-commitment came before Coach Dambrot was signed. I can understand why the coach then focused on other players.
2. Nothing stopped him from contacting Coach Dambrot if he had a change of heart.

​I realize he's a 17-18 year old kid, but certainly there are adults (parents, coaches, teachers) from whom he could get advice.

​As for the "politics," there are now more than 500 kids who transferred from former schools who are looking for new schools, in addition to the HS, prep & juco kids who made names for themselves this year. He should not think he's been "singled out" (my phrase) because of his decision. It's competitive out there. You have to be willing to work to achieve your goals. I think he gave up too early. There are still openings at the DI and other levels and if he wants to play, there's really nothing to stop him.

I wish him much success in whatever he chooses.

5/18/2017 7:31 am  #56

ElDuque wrote:

Every coin has two sides. So if it's a matter of no one reaching out to him after he de-committed:
​1. His de-commitment came before Coach Dambrot was signed. I can understand why the coach then focused on other players.
2. Nothing stopped him from contacting Coach Dambrot if he had a change of heart.

​I realize he's a 17-18 year old kid, but certainly there are adults (parents, coaches, teachers) from whom he could get advice.

​As for the "politics," there are now more than 500 kids who transferred from former schools who are looking for new schools, in addition to the HS, prep & juco kids who made names for themselves this year. He should not think he's been "singled out" (my phrase) because of his decision. It's competitive out there. You have to be willing to work to achieve your goals. I think he gave up too early. There are still openings at the DI and other levels and if he wants to play, there's really nothing to stop him.

I wish him much success in whatever he chooses.

I agree, he's leaving a lot on the table, including full scholarships to Houston and Arizona state. I tried to urge him to reach out to Dambrot earlier in the spring, I don't think he did. It seemed like he really wanted to be at Duquesne and he kind of gave up when that fell through.

I think the sad part also is that some of these kids don't always have parents, coaches, or teachers that care enough to provide them prospective or advice. Not everyone can grow up in an environment like Lewis II or Swingle where they have people looking out for their best interest, and that may have happened here.

5/18/2017 10:35 am  #57

To: Great Ghosts Alive‏ @GreatGhostsAliv

While you make a good point it is a violation of NCAA rules to contact potential recruits IF a person meets the definition of a "Booster", not sure if the person in question meets that definition or not.  As a general rule anybody who graduated from the University should refrain from contacting recruits and leave the recruiting to the coaching staff.  However, you post on twitter could potentially do more to make this an issue for the University by making it known entire Twitter Universe. The person who made the post in question on this Board may not have been aware of the rules, and has been contacted.  Maybe you would reconsider you twitter post and delete it since it is not known for certain if this person is in fact a "Booster". 

Last edited by CLK (5/18/2017 10:56 am)

5/18/2017 11:03 am  #58

It's best not to put Duquesne in the position to be sanctioned. A 17 year old kid is not going to be influenced by a grown man "urging" him to consider their school.

5/18/2017 11:14 am  #59

The NCAA is eventually going to crack down on social media behavior. Let's hope that we are not the target. Any lawyer worth his salt can easily make the argument that we fit the definition of "booster." Let's not put the school in the position of having to defend our actions. Let the coaches recruit and let the journalists scoop recruiting news.

5/18/2017 11:24 am  #60

Greatghostsaliv wrote:

It's best not to put Duquesne in the position to be sanctioned. A 17 year old kid is not going to be influenced by a grown man "urging" him to consider their school.

Absolutely agree. Let the coaches do the recruiting.  However, this rule is perhaps the most violated rule by all teams as so many people are not aware of the rules.  In fact it is a violation of the NCAA rules for a Booster to contact a kid even after he committed even to congratulate him.  Have you seen people you know do that???  Listen I do not care what you do with your Twitter account, delete or don't delete your post.

Last edited by CLK (5/18/2017 11:27 am)

5/18/2017 11:34 am  #61

It is so strange,possible  Walker a has a severe learning disability,even so you would have thought the
guidance counselor from the high school would have called in Johns behalf and talked to Dambrot.
There is a lot at stake for John, the choice of a 200,000 dollar education,with no debt or cleaning toilets
at  a hospital for 10 dollars an hour.
 The kid has to have some sense of self  worth as he was a star being recruited by colleges telling him
how good he is.Maybe no one cares in his family,drugs. As far as Duquesne is concerned  I dont
understand Dambrot not calling him and telling him  they had no interest in his recruitment.
Go to a junior college if you dont qualify at Duquesne and then we will reevaluate in 2 years.It bothers me
that he has given up,its too frickin early in life not to try.

5/18/2017 11:39 am  #62

CLK wrote:

Greatghostsaliv wrote:

Absolutely agree. Let the coaches do the recruiting.  However, this rule is perhaps the most violated rule by all teams as so many people are not aware of the rules.  In fact it is a violation of the NCAA rules for a Booster to contact a kid even after he committed even to congratulate him.  Have you seen people you know do that???  Listen I do not care what you do with your Twitter account, delete or don't delete your post.

I will gladly take the post down. People need to keep these rules in mind though. KD knows what he's doing. He's not Jim Ferry.

5/18/2017 11:54 am  #63

I dont care if John comes to Duquesne to play for us its the lost chance of going to college and making a better life for yourself.I see so many people at work pushing a broom and you talk to them and they seem
nice and  intelligent,engaging to talk to.I wonder if they had the same advantages as I did as a kid and you
shake your head knowing  that life isnt always fair especially for the poor.

5/18/2017 1:55 pm  #64

stew wrote:

I dont care if John comes to Duquesne to play for us its the lost chance of going to college and making a better life for yourself.I see so many people at work pushing a broom and you talk to them and they seem
nice and  intelligent,engaging to talk to.I wonder if they had the same advantages as I did as a kid and you
shake your head knowing  that life isnt always fair especially for the poor.

The poor often have low expectations because so many of the people around them do. A kid from Fox Chapel is likely to succeed because he sees success all around him, and those people let him know very early that success is possible, and that it is expected. Fox Chapel is going to seem unattainable to a white kid from McKees Rocks, let alone a black kid from the Hill. Some do make it, and it's important to be able to use them as an example of the possibilities.

Board footera