Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2017 10:02 am  #1

Idea for us out of town alums???

Like everyone else I am so excited about the new coach and the new direction of the program, after so long in the wilderness.
But like many of us, I am far away.  I can't really buy tickets or be a season ticket holder, and then I thought of an idea:

I was thinking of buying a two seat season ticket plan and donating it to a youth charity, Catholic Elementary school etc. for their use.  And then I thought why don't we pool our resources and purchase a block of season tickets to be used together?

Thoughts?

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

5/15/2017 10:10 am  #2

Re: Idea for us out of town alums???

If this idea ends up moving ahead, I have a contact at the Diocese of Pittsburgh Catholic Elementary Schools - or I can give you a name for you to contact directly.

On a side note - I reached out to Dave Harper about the letter he agreed to post on our site.  Waiting for a reply.

FAM

5/15/2017 5:17 pm  #3

I suggested to Mr. Harper something similar with CBI/CIT tickets but your idea is more practical because there is plenty of time to expedite it. If I can get a donation receipt to pass muster with the IRS, count me in.

5/16/2017 6:14 pm  #4

This is a fantastic idea and a cause I can put my efforts (aka dollars) behind. Gormley will be in Charlotte at an Alumni event next Thursday - perhaps I can bring it up to him?

5/19/2017 7:44 am  #5

There is an organization based in Pittsburgh - Tickets for Kids Charities - https://ticketsforkids.org

They do a very nice job of partnering with various local entities to get kids who don't have access to sporting, cultural and entertainment events.

Donated tickets are tax deductible.

5/19/2017 1:27 pm  #6

I took the liberty of running this idea by Conor McGartland in Duquesne's ticket office. He said Duquesne does indeed have a program called Dukes in the Community, where free tickets to basketball games are made available to needy children, less fortunate families, local Catholic schools, etc. He's not registered on this board, but anyone interested in finding out more about this program and possibly contributing to it can reach out to him at 412-396-5124 or mcgartlandc@duq.edu. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (5/19/2017 1:28 pm)

6/02/2017 4:20 pm  #7

DennisC91 wrote:

I took the liberty of running this idea by Conor McGartland in Duquesne's ticket office. He said Duquesne does indeed have a program called Dukes in the Community, where free tickets to basketball games are made available to needy children, less fortunate families, local Catholic schools, etc. He's not registered on this board, but anyone interested in finding out more about this program and possibly contributing to it can reach out to him at 412-396-5124 or mcgartlandc@duq.edu. 

Great, now taking my board idea further, how about we all agree to purchase a block of season tickets in the same area or section.  "The Shoo Shoo Rah Rah Brigade" or something. Would be nice that all our efforts go together.  We can meet up when we are all home during Christmas break, stuff like that.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/02/2017 5:09 pm  #8

I've been trying to find out how to do this. I called Conor McGartland and he referred me to Bryan Colonna. I sent him an email and I am waiting to hear back. I just want to make a cash donation and get a tax receipt. After all, the only thing I'm getting out of it is some vicarious pleasure to help my Alma Mater. If I get a response I'll be happy to share it with this board.

6/06/2017 4:49 pm  #9

I just emailed Harper and he gave me McGartland as contact, not Colona.  Will be talking to him tomorrow. 

Still like my idea of us buying a block together.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

6/07/2017 10:25 am  #10

I just spoke to Connor at DU.  He thought our idea of buying a bloc of donated seats was a great idea. He said they would love the publicity and getting the kids up on the scoreboard and recognizing "The Board Bunch" or whatever we wanted to call it. 

I told him I would act as point man to get any ticket buyers together.  Please PM me and give me your contact information plus how many seats of what size donation you want to make. 

I also told him this was a very busy summer for my wife and I so I won't be doing anything actively on it until at least August but plenty of time before the season starts.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

Board footera