Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/09/2013 4:28 pm  #1

Well that's a wrap....

Only hope we ever have of going to an NCAA tournament is womens bb and that is done for another year. 

SMS 0-4 in games to win to get us an at large bid including three games of that type this season.

We lose the heart of this team with Jocelyn Floyd.  She truly was a pleasure to watch.   Oh well, I didn't think they would be this good.   They tried their best. Much better than the rest of this sorry collection of teams. 

Since womens lax just lost to three ranked teams by a total of about 20, it safe to assume that puts a wrap on the 2012-2013 sports season.  Typically stellar DU season. 

Last edited by duqkurt (3/09/2013 4:29 pm)

3/09/2013 5:03 pm  #2

Re: Well that's a wrap....

You are kidding with your comments? Suzie just finished up the best 4 years of probably any sport in Duquesne history and your complaining? We are building a program at Duquesne and have the best incoming class in the history of the program to look forward to. Typical Duquesne negativity with the shot at the LAX team and the indirect comment about men's BB. You should be asking "what can I do to make the program better" not throw verbal stones from behind the keyboard!

Vincent J. Morreale

3/09/2013 5:09 pm  #3

Vincent J. Morreale wrote:

You are kidding with your comments? Suzie just finished up the best 4 years of probably any sport in Duquesne history and your complaining? We are building a program at Duquesne and have the best incoming class in the history of the program to look forward to. Typical Duquesne negativity with the shot at the LAX team and the indirect comment about men's BB. You should be asking "what can I do to make the program better" not throw verbal stones from behind the keyboard!

Vincent J. Morreale

If this is the real Vincent J. Morreale, yes, I am bitterlly disappointed. 

Yes, I pointed out that she is 0-4 in games that would get us to the tournament.  I think SMS is a well paid coach and would agree that is unacceptable. 

Listen, pal, I have listened to, attended, refreshed a gametracker, or watched every women's game and I am disappointed for them not in them.   Just because I am not rich like you are, don't come in here and think you signing your name means sh*t to me.  

I have a couple of things I can tell you what to do with your Hall of Fame plaque right now.   And the first is give it to a deserving athlete.  

I said the truth. Sorry if the truth hurts pal.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/09/2013 5:14 pm)

3/09/2013 5:35 pm  #4

Of course the fact that I said this goes unnoticed.....

We lose the heart of this team with Jocelyn Floyd.  She truly was a pleasure to watch.   Oh well, I didn't think they would be this good.   They tried their best. Much better than the rest of this sorry collection of teams.

In someone's typical criticism of me (that I am a part of the problem) all that was ignored.   The fact I loved watching Jocelyn Floyd.   That they tried their best.  And I admitted that I didn't think they would go this far. 

Everything else in my message is the truth.  Yeah, it is fans like me that are the problem and my typical DU negativity.     I never thought I could get this upset at another post but I am.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/09/2013 5:39 pm)

3/09/2013 6:26 pm  #5

Duqkurt, your truth does not hurt at all. Put in your time, your talent and if it suits you, your treasure to be part of the solution, not the problem. But please, have the testicles to use your real name. 

3/09/2013 6:27 pm  #6

Kurt Mathias

duqkmathias@gmail.com

How is that sport?  Anything else?   Nice of you to come out of the hall of fame to slum it with us. 

For those of you playing along at home, the great Mr. Morreale e-mailed me.   Hmmm, his name isn't even on his email account.   I apologize to the real Mr. Morreale for being caught in the cross-fire.

Last edited by duqkurt (3/09/2013 6:50 pm)

3/09/2013 6:59 pm  #7

That's because you replied to me in private.....

3/09/2013 7:11 pm  #8

I respect CLK too much to bring this crap to his boards.   I stand by my posts.  And very few people enjoyed this women's basketball season more than I did....today not withstanding.

3/10/2013 3:09 am  #9

Disheartening loss to end the season.  Not unexpected, and like I said on the other board was exactly what I was afraid of happening.

Excellent overall season.  I did really enjoy watching the team play and gel.  This program will be fine without Floyd.  SMS is building a PROGRAM to where we'll be reloading with a team that can compete for NCAA appearances on a given year.  Take a look around...Wumi, April, and Orsi will be a great three to start with.  Odi will be solid.  If Belma gets her shot back in the offseason, she can potentially start.  I've seen Erin Waskowiak play, and I'm already a huge fan.  We have the talent to still compete in the A10.

It will be extremely disappointing if this team winds up in the WNIT.  I've seen a good bit of women's college bball since I started watching in 2003, and this team I thought - and still do think - has both the talent and coaching of an NCAA team.  Unfortunately, the back-to-back regular season 1 point losses to UD and SJU will likely do us in unless everyone else collapses too (which at this rate is possible).  Unfortunately, we couldn't make a play - or get one of two close calls between the charge/block on Stasia in the SJU game or the foul on Floyd to end the UD game - to close out either game.

Excellent season.  Just a frustrating finish.  Give credit to St. Joe's, who likely played two of their best three or four games of the year both against us.

3/10/2013 2:57 pm  #10

St. Joe's beats Dayton, 61-54.  By winning the semi-final game agaisnt the highly ranked Flyers, St. Joe's has probably locked an at large bid.  They now head to Brooklyn for the championship.  Let's hope that Temple beats Fordham in the other semi-final.  

Fordham beats Temple this afteroon in the 2nd semi-fianl game.  So it's Forham vs St Joe's in the A-10 final.

If there will be three A-10 teams in the NACAA tournament, they will be Dayton, St. Joe's, and Fordham.  If there will be four teams, I guess it will be between the Dukes & Charlotte for that 4th slot.

Last edited by godukes1970 (3/10/2013 5:49 pm)

3/10/2013 6:28 pm  #11

Fordham will not get an at-large.  OOC losses to Yale, Stony Brook, and Lafayette don't cut it.  3 top 100 wins all year, 3 losses outside the top 150 doesn't get you anywhere.  Only way Fordham makes it is if they upset St. Joe's

Last edited by rogabee (3/10/2013 6:29 pm)

3/10/2013 6:37 pm  #12

godukes1970 wrote:

St. Joe's beats Dayton, 61-54.  By winning the semi-final game agaisnt the highly ranked Flyers, St. Joe's has probably locked an at large bid.  They now head to Brooklyn for the championship.  Let's hope that Temple beats Fordham in the other semi-final.  

Fordham beats Temple this afteroon in the 2nd semi-fianl game.  So it's Forham vs St Joe's in the A-10 final.

If there will be three A-10 teams in the NACAA tournament, they will be Dayton, St. Joe's, and Fordham.  If there will be four teams, I guess it will be between the Dukes & Charlotte for that 4th slot.

If Fordham beats St. Joe's it to win it all it will be like a knife to the heart for me.   For Fordham to go for 0-26 just three years ago to this.   I just shake my head wondering why we are so snake bit at Duquesne.   Fordham will have the home game too, it being in Brooklyn.  

I felt the same why with the St. Bonaventure men last year.   Everyone was rooting for them in the finals, but me.   I am bitter.  LOL. 

3/13/2013 12:16 pm  #13

Duqkurt and Rogabee,

I feel your frustration and disappointment that the women's team was unable to knock out St. Joe's this past weekend and perhaps secure an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.  I too have followed the women's team as a season ticket holder since the mid-1990s and on Red Zone media and Gametracker.  From all accounts, this is a great bunch of young ladies who proudly represent Duquesne on and off the basketball court. 

Rogabee is clearly the Man when it comes to analizing the Dukes' chances of getting an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.  I am encouraged that he said that perhaps this team has nine lives in their ability to maintain their RPI ranking among the A-10 teams.  Here's a link to the Collegiate Basketball News Women's RPI:http://rpiratings.com/womensrpi.php, issued on March 11th.  Here's the breakdown of the top teams in A-10:

#13 Dayton
#36 Dukes
#38 St. Joe's
#53 Charlotte
#62 Fordham

Local teams:
#238 Pitt

#277 Bobby Shmo

I've seen other RPI rankings which place the Dukes as holding 3rd place in the A-10, behind St. Joe's.
Anyway, I hold out hope that this will be the year for the women's team to break the glass barrier and be a part of the NCAA Tournament.

3/13/2013 5:21 pm  #14

The rpiratings site is correct, as is Warren Nolan's.  I've emailed some other sites as to those being incorrect because they either (a) don't include conference tourney games, or (b) failed to include our conference tourney loss at St. Joe's as being a road loss (some listed it as neutral).

3/13/2013 8:55 pm  #15

Well I've certainly enjoyed discussing the women's team with both of you this season. And Levon75. 

I'm not getting my hopes up though.  And you both give great information.  Rogabees bubble watch is really better analysis than you get on ESPN.com

Last edited by duqkurt (3/13/2013 9:02 pm)

Board footera