Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2017 8:34 pm  #1

A10 Talk Line-Up

https://mobile.twitter.com/A10Talk/status/896872727084015623

This is the A10 Talk starting line-up for the Dukes. First, let me say that I dislike the three guard construct. I think teams use it because they have limited front courts and usually their best players are the guards. Three guards are not usually year in and year out on top.  Villanova is the one exception that comes to mind, but they always have four and five star guards. Coach Dambrot is old school, so I think we are going to see a true 3 (James/Williams/Krivacevic). Tydus J is going to play, so I think that we will not see much of our three guards from last year on the floor. If Ferry were the coach, no doubt Smith, Castro and Lewis would play thirty plus minutes. But KD will use all of his players and that means we should be bigger most of the game. The three guard offense might help with sets, but I believe it hurts a team defensively. KD is about defense. I am thinking that A10 Talk is sleeping on the Dukes with this proposed line-up.

Last edited by HookShot (8/16/2017 8:36 pm)

8/17/2017 5:31 am  #2

Re: A10 Talk Line-Up

Easy to see the reasoning behind that starting 5 - with returning players MUCH easier to have an idea what they bring as opposed to others.

Red Auerbach said for years - Doesn't Matter who STARTS the game - matters who FINISHES it -  Havilcek was a 6th man for several years -  The TOTAL ALLOCATION of the minutes is what matters.  (know falling behind in the first few minutes is a possibility - but coaches have their own philosophies) Some players might even PREFER coming off the bench a few minutes in.

8/17/2017 8:39 am  #3

I really don't know or care who our starting 5 will be. It doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that KD and staff will figure out how best to divide the playing minutes for the greater good of the team. It truly makes sense that JRob will play lots of minutes and that Tydus will get playing time if he lives up to his billing. As for how many guards are on the court at the same time, I will settle for whatever KD believes will work best this year for this team. I would love to see 3 bigs playing together but not at the expense of the success of the team.  Year 2 will be a completely different set of players and totally different scenario, I am sure. Should be great fun no matter who is on the floor. Really looking forward to it. GO DUKES!

8/17/2017 9:57 am  #4

Isn't this the undergrad kid at one of the Virginia schools? So his opinion is based on looking at last season's stats, recognizing he needs a fifth starter, and thinking we retained Jim Ferry as OC or something.

I've said before, the "easy" prediction for the Dukes is Robinson, James, Smith, Lewis + one of the incoming bigs, among whom I favor Verhoeven. But even that's going to be wrong.

Keith Dambrot is going to coach & evaluate these kids for a month, then pick a lineup. That's the prediction with which I'll stick.

8/17/2017 10:29 am  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Isn't this the undergrad kid at one of the Virginia schools? So his opinion is based on looking at last season's stats, recognizing he needs a fifth starter, and thinking we retained Jim Ferry as OC or something.

I've said before, the "easy" prediction for the Dukes is Robinson, James, Smith, Lewis + one of the incoming bigs, among whom I favor Verhoeven. But even that's going to be wrong.

Keith Dambrot is going to coach & evaluate these kids for a month, then pick a lineup. That's the prediction with which I'll stick.

eh. if you know your stuff, you know your stuff, regardless of age. many people contribute to A10-talk, and some of them are only college or high school kids. Do I think Krivacevic will probably get more starts than Castro? Ya, I think. Could also be Eric James. Who knows? Just a prediction.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/17/2017 11:09 am  #6

Yep, these days, everything passes for expertise. My point was more about the fact that the expertise in this case is based on superficial information.

I'm not discriminating against youth. I think Z-Dub is a brilliant reporter, and he's young. But he does his research, and that's the difference. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but not everyone has a well-formulated one.

That's why I enjoy reading posts after games, because folks who were at the games can tell me what they saw.

Peace.

8/18/2017 3:05 pm  #7

They did a season preview too:

http://www.a10talk.com/duquesne-dukes-full-2017-18-season-preview/amp/

Not a huge fan of their coverage historically either.

8/20/2017 8:52 am  #8

I really enjoyed the season preview...it was an excellent summary of each player and this person's perceptions.  It was just a way for me to keep all of the players straight. Thanks Duques102.

Board footera