Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2017 7:51 pm  #1

Something I noticed.

While lurking on the Pitt board anytime there is talk about the SMS and the women's program they mention Duquesne.  She did this at Duquesne.  She didn't do that at Duquesne.  Duquesne should have made 3 women's NCAA tourneys or they shouldn't have. 

If the DU men's team would ever grab the city spotlight and go to the tournament and win a game, their heads would explode.

8/28/2017 8:04 am  #2

Re: Something I noticed.

duqkurt wrote:

While lurking on the Pitt board anytime there is talk about the SMS and the women's program they mention Duquesne. She did this at Duquesne. She didn't do that at Duquesne. Duquesne should have made 3 women's NCAA tourneys or they shouldn't have.

If the DU men's team would ever grab the city spotlight and go to the tournament and win a game, their heads would explode.

That I would love to see. Not really sure why Susie hasn't done more at Pitt. Or was her success at DU the result of her top assistant?

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/28/2017 8:50 am  #3

KenOTR73 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

While lurking on the Pitt board anytime there is talk about the SMS and the women's program they mention Duquesne. She did this at Duquesne. She didn't do that at Duquesne. Duquesne should have made 3 women's NCAA tourneys or they shouldn't have.

That I would love to see. Not really sure why Susie hasn't done more at Pitt. Or was her success at DU the result of her top assistant?

Suzie hasn't recruited at the level needed to compete in the ACC, which is easily the toughest conference for women's hoops. Also, her best players have transferred out the last two years. The Cassidy/Chassidy swap seems to have played out in Duquesne's favor as well.

8/28/2017 8:50 am  #4

No...he was excellent of course as her assistant but she also won when she coached the WNBA...didn't she win big there?  I think it has to do with the level of competition and who she is recruiting against.  Pitt still can't accept that they have a hard time recruiting both in men's football, women's basketball, & now men's basketball.  Academically it's a fine school but not a top tier.  Campus wise...as I was driving through yesterday on the way back from the Shadyside Arts Festival I was thinking how congested it is, not a lot of green, and frankly, there were a lot of boarded up apartments in certain sections.  She is an excellent coach but the campus and location is not appealing for a number of kids.  The league they are in has a lot more schools that are more attractive for the students to go to than the armpitt.

Last edited by FAM (8/28/2017 8:52 am)

8/28/2017 10:00 am  #5

Pro record with Lynx 58-67 in 3 plus years.  Record at Pitt 57-67 in 4 years.  Not exactly winning big. Unless your are Jim Ferry.  

8/28/2017 10:16 am  #6

She quit mid year with a poor record at Minnesota.  Probably because she would have been fired.   

The point really wasn't her record but their reaction to any DU success.

Last edited by duqkurt (8/28/2017 10:17 am)

8/28/2017 11:46 am  #7

Please understand that this is not a knock on Susie: Having Dan Burt as an assistant was a tremendous asset in her success at Duquesne. The fact that Coach Burt has taken the Dukes to the next level tells you how good he is as a coach. Remember, at the time, Susie had the name recognition as a former PSU, Olympic and WNBA player, so that "aura" went away when she went to Oakland.

Coming back to the Bluff, after a very short stint as a Pitt assistant, Coach Burt had his work cut out for him. It didn't help when recruits were "redirected," although I've been a fan of Chassidy since she arrived here. Saw her in person as a freshman at Lafayette and thought she was good then.

To finish my point, Coach Burt is an excellent recruiter and IMHO an outstanding leader who gets the most out of both his staff and players. He's a great motivator and teacher. Susie was a great player who may still be developing into the role of a coach. She'd probably do well to bring in another Dan-Burt-like assistant.

8/28/2017 2:26 pm  #8

FAM wrote:

No...he was excellent of course as her assistant but she also won when she coached the WNBA...didn't she win big there?  I think it has to do with the level of competition and who she is recruiting against.  Pitt still can't accept that they have a hard time recruiting both in men's football, women's basketball, & now men's basketball.  Academically it's a fine school but not a top tier.  Campus wise...as I was driving through yesterday on the way back from the Shadyside Arts Festival I was thinking how congested it is, not a lot of green, and frankly, there were a lot of boarded up apartments in certain sections.  She is an excellent coach but the campus and location is not appealing for a number of kids.  The league they are in has a lot more schools that are more attractive for the students to go to than the armpitt.

You notice how Jamie began to struggle when he went away from the NYC/Philly type kids. Those kids were hard urban types, the kind who would hate to be somewhere like State College, and were quite comfortable, and even happy in a hard urban place like Oakland. Oakland isn't going to be attractive to southern kids, or kids from areas outside of the northeast, and Great Lakes regions.

8/28/2017 3:26 pm  #9

She's overrated as a coach; and she is fast approaching the Danny Nee "coaches to live" phase. Her best coaching was done the first couple of years at Duquesne, dragging the program up a couple of levels.

8/28/2017 3:28 pm  #10

Maybe she shouldn't have her sister in the position she has?  Just saying.

8/28/2017 3:29 pm  #11

duqkurt wrote:

duqkurt, their heads may explode simply by the Dukes winning the City Game this year. Stallings would be 0-2, getting beat by a short handed, rebuilding Dukes team with a new coach.  Would be great fun if it happens.

8/28/2017 3:43 pm  #12

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

duqkurt, their heads may explode simply by the Dukes winning the City Game this year. Stallings would be 0-2, getting beat by a short handed, rebuilding Dukes team with a new coach.  Would be great fun if it happens.

Hope we can get Penn St., and WVU on the schedule once we get rolling. Can you imagine beating Pitt, PSU, WVU, and Bobby Mo in the same year? Did we ever do that in the late 70s, or early 80s?

8/28/2017 4:15 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

Hope we can get Penn St., and WVU on the schedule once we get rolling. Can you imagine beating Pitt, PSU, WVU, and Bobby Mo in the same year? Did we ever do that in the late 70s, or early 80s?

Not while I was in school (76-80) because we didn't play Bobby Mo. We'd split home-and-home with Pitt and WVU, and for some reason, John Bach at Penn State had our number.

8/28/2017 4:41 pm  #14

I could picture Zeise, Cook, Poni, and Colony holding hands atop Greentree water tower before leaping if Duquesne dominated Armpitt the next few years. I'm betting we will.

8/28/2017 4:53 pm  #15

Somerset24 wrote:

I could picture Zeise, Cook, Poni, and Colony holding hands atop Greentree water tower before leaping if Duquesne dominated Armpitt the next few years. I'm betting we will.

I agree with Ziese, Cook and Colony (who is so far up Pitt's ass it's hysterical). But Poni went to Syracuse and loves sticking it to Pitt.

8/28/2017 5:00 pm  #16

BTW, does anyone know what radio station is carrying our games this year ?   Same station as last year ?

8/28/2017 6:12 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Not while I was in school (76-80) because we didn't play Bobby Mo. We'd split home-and-home with Pitt and WVU, and for some reason, John Bach at Penn State had our number.

It wasn't Bach that killed us, it was Dick Harter. We were 3-1 against Bach during my time at DU. These were all against Cinicola. Harter came in at the same time as Rice, and he just crushed Mike Rice, going 4-1 against the Dukes, despite having far less talented teams. His last win over Rice, a game where the Dukes blew a double digit second half lead when Harter's talentless team put on a full court press, and the Dukes couldn't bring the ball up court. I've never been sicker after a game since. If there was a point in time when Duquesne Basketball truly jumped the shark, this game was it. The team collapsed, as all they saw was the press the rest of the year, and Rice was fired after the season.

8/28/2017 7:21 pm  #18

There go a few more of my brain cells. For some reason Rice always wanted to put a big lineup on the court against PSU, which was why we couldn't handle the ball against them.

8/28/2017 7:46 pm  #19

Somerset24 wrote:

BTW, does anyone know what radio station is carrying our games this year ?   Same station as last year ?

Football is on 1320 so I'd imagine that Bb will be too.  Rumors have I Heart and CBS radio merging and shutting down stations.  Making future options even more limited id possible.

8/28/2017 9:56 pm  #20

Dick Harter and the Dukes crossed paths a couple of times prior to Harter's stint at Penn State. He coached the 70-71 Penn team that beat the Dukes in the NCAA's. The Dukes beat Harter's Oregon team in the Far West Classic in 1975, which resulted in the Dukes being ranked in the AP top 20 poll - I believe 19th - the Dukes last appearance in the polls.

Harter grew up in eastern PA; and he was a tough, competitive coach. My favorite Harter story recounts the rivalry between Oregon and Oregon State (as hot and contested as the Dukes and Pitt were in that same era):
https://www.google.com/amp/www.gazettetimes.com/blogs/graham-kislingbury/remembering-dick-harter/article_ac0eb04d-9632-5076-9d4b-ab6b96bdd272.amp.html

In Corvallis, Harter was reviled for an act that almost caused a riot at one 1974 game at Gill Coliseum. We listened on the radio that day as the Beavers defeated the Ducks to win the chancellor’s trophy. As a OSU male cheerleader ran the trophy around the court, Harter stuck out his leg and tripped him. The trophy ended up in pieces on the floor. We could hear the prolonged outcry of OSU fans on the radio.

8/28/2017 11:09 pm  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dick Harter and the Dukes crossed paths a couple of times prior to Harter's stint at Penn State. He coached the 70-71 Penn team that beat the Dukes in the NCAA's. The Dukes beat Harter's Oregon team in the Far West Classic in 1975, which resulted in the Dukes being ranked in the AP top 20 poll - I believe 19th - the Dukes last appearance in the polls.

Harter grew up in eastern PA; and he was a tough, competitive coach. My favorite Harter story recounts the rivalry between Oregon and Oregon State (as hot and contested as the Dukes and Pitt were in that same era):
https://www.google.com/amp/www.gazettetimes.com/blogs/graham-kislingbury/remembering-dick-harter/article_ac0eb04d-9632-5076-9d4b-ab6b96bdd272.amp.html

In Corvallis, Harter was reviled for an act that almost caused a riot at one 1974 game at Gill Coliseum. We listened on the radio that day as the Beavers defeated the Ducks to win the chancellor’s trophy. As a OSU male cheerleader ran the trophy around the court, Harter stuck out his leg and tripped him. The trophy ended up in pieces on the floor. We could hear the prolonged outcry of OSU fans on the radio.

Actually, it was the UPI Coaches Poll. We beat Oregon in the first round, which got us ranked 19th. We promptly lost to Texas Tech, and then to Northwestern. I stayed up and listened to all three games, and I wasn't even a student then. We haven't been ranked by the AP since 1972. We were 20th for one week during that season.
Dick Harter indeed coached that Penn team. They were undefeated until the regional final, where they were smoked, 90-47 by a Villanova team that they had beaten during the season.

8/29/2017 7:39 am  #22

Thanks, duq81, for the fact check. I had the ranking, but wrong poll.

8/29/2017 8:24 am  #23

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Thanks, duq81, for the fact check. I had the ranking, but wrong poll.

Little did we know that 42 years later, we would still be waiting for our next appearance in the polls.

8/29/2017 9:06 am  #24

Nope, never beat all four of those teams in the same year. The 76-77, 77-78 and 79-80 teams all beat Pitt, Penn State and WVU at least once but didn't play Robert Morris.  The 80-81 team beat Robert Morris and also beat Pitt and WVU but didn't play Penn State. Closest they would come after that was the 82-83 team which beat Robert Morris, Penn State and WVU but lost its season opener to Pitt, which was in the Big East by then so no rematch. Once Penn State and WVU left the A10, the Dukes have played all four in the same season only a handful of times.

8/29/2017 7:53 pm  #25

DennisC91 wrote:

Nope, never beat all four of those teams in the same year. The 76-77, 77-78 and 79-80 teams all beat Pitt, Penn State and WVU at least once but didn't play Robert Morris.  The 80-81 team beat Robert Morris and also beat Pitt and WVU but didn't play Penn State. Closest they would come after that was the 82-83 team which beat Robert Morris, Penn State and WVU but lost its season opener to Pitt, which was in the Big East by then so no rematch. Once Penn State and WVU left the A10, the Dukes have played all four in the same season only a handful of times.

Thanks for the research, DennisC91.

Board footera