Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/12/2017 11:45 am  #1

Dribble aimlessly until the clock's ready to run out and fire away ...

Offensive philosophy in a nutshell: https://www.sungazette.com/sports/local-sports/2017/09/jim-ferry-hopes-to-help-psu-hoops-on-offense/

Unless you're a natural power forward. In that case, wait for the ball to come to you, and fire away.

9/12/2017 11:48 am  #2

Re: Dribble aimlessly until the clock's ready to run out and fire away ...

Wait, what?

Ferry noted his teams didn’t shoot a lot of threes, but went to the foul line a lot and too high percentage shots. “We’re high scoring, with high assists,” said Ferry.

9/12/2017 1:47 pm  #3

Uh huh

9/12/2017 3:18 pm  #4

lol.

that should go over swimmingly for penn state

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

9/12/2017 3:24 pm  #5

I hope the PSU fans will be impressed with the weave.

9/12/2017 3:28 pm  #6

applecorps wrote:

I hope the PSU fans will be impressed with the weave.

No, I think that's his hair, he said entirely in jest (sorry Apple I love puns).

9/13/2017 12:20 am  #7

The blind leading the blind. Chambers seat is already hot, and he's pouring gasoline on it. He must be tired of living in the middle of nowhere, and wants to be fired so he can move back to civilization and collect his checks.

9/13/2017 10:28 am  #8

It amazes me that in this day and age, a reporter just takes the coach's word for it instead of checking the freely available statistics on the web. If he did, he'd have found that the only really high-scoring team the Dukes had in five years of Ferry (2015-16) did it by taking a lot of 3s (19th in the country in both 3-pointers attempted and made). Did they get to the line a lot? I know that was always supposed to be the Ferry system--make more FTs than your opponent attempts or something like that--but none of his teams actually excelled at that. Last year's team ranked 165th (7th in the A10) in free throw attempts, which was the best ranking of the Ferry era. The 2015-16 team was 166th nationally and 6th in the A10. And of course all five Ferry teams shot under 70% from the line, putting them in the bottom tier of the NCAAs every year. I would hope Chambers isn't entrusting FT shooting to Jimbo.

As for assists, believe it or not, the Dukes were a pretty good assists team in Ferry's middle three years, ranking 91st, 74th and 40th nationally and first, second and fourth in conference play. Were they really that great at moving the ball around or was it more a function of having a lot of guards on the floor and not scoring much off rebounds?

That said, defense was a much bigger problem for Ferry than offense. And recruiting too many players that really weren't good enough to play at the D-1 level, as their future college choices (or lack thereof) demonstrated. 

9/13/2017 3:06 pm  #9

#climb with us ( Ped Sate catch phrase ) - what weak sauce !!!
Chambers and Jimbo deserve each other !!!!!!!!!!!

9/13/2017 3:06 pm  #10

DennisC91 wrote:

It amazes me that in this day and age, a reporter just takes the coach's word for it instead of checking the freely available statistics on the web. If he did, he'd have found that the only really high-scoring team the Dukes had in five years of Ferry (2015-16) did it by taking a lot of 3s (19th in the country in both 3-pointers attempted and made). Did they get to the line a lot? I know that was always supposed to be the Ferry system--make more FTs than your opponent attempts or something like that--but none of his teams actually excelled at that. Last year's team ranked 165th (7th in the A10) in free throw attempts, which was the best ranking of the Ferry era. The 2015-16 team was 166th nationally and 6th in the A10. And of course all five Ferry teams shot under 70% from the line, putting them in the bottom tier of the NCAAs every year. I would hope Chambers isn't entrusting FT shooting to Jimbo.

As for assists, believe it or not, the Dukes were a pretty good assists team in Ferry's middle three years, ranking 91st, 74th and 40th nationally and first, second and fourth in conference play. Were they really that great at moving the ball around or was it more a function of having a lot of guards on the floor and not scoring much off rebounds?

That said, defense was a much bigger problem for Ferry than offense. And recruiting too many players that really weren't good enough to play at the D-1 level, as their future college choices (or lack thereof) demonstrated. 

Truth.

9/13/2017 5:25 pm  #11

Ferry must have really impressed Chambers when we blew Penn State's doors off at the Arena 2 years ago. Nothing else can explain this. Then again, I guess not many coaches want to jump on what looks to be a rapidly sinking ship. Not a lot of pressure to win big at PSU, and I don't think he has to dance this year to keep his job, but 7 years in, with nothing to show for it, any regression is likely to finally get the plug pulled. To put it in perspective, we're all thrilled about KD, but if after 6 years, he had Chamber record, I'd personally volunteer to drive him back to Akron.

9/14/2017 5:03 am  #12

fjhryn wrote:

OK, Agree, I sat in Section  A2 Row K cringing every time our guards did the weave as time wound down only to throw up a prayer that rarely went down. But, I wish JF well at PSU, especially when they play that state school down the street. Let's not dwell on the past. KD is here & we are anxious to see how HIS team does in the coming years. Hope you all are in the stands to support the Dukes as we move forward. 

Every step of the way with Coach D. from the humble NJ outpost. Will see everyone at the Pitt game, and with so many A10 Saturday games scheduled, I might could pop up at Palumbo once in a while.

Board footera