Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2017 1:18 pm  #1

Gormley Games

ICYMI ...

President Gormley doing a little more to promote Duquesne athletics.

9/25/2017 2:18 pm  #2

Re: Gormley Games

ElDuque wrote:

ICYMI ...

President Gormley doing a little more to promote Duquesne athletics.

Got to love this guy. That said, I sure hope he does good work at his main job, which of course is running the university. I'm sure there are some who don't care for athletics, and will point to all of this as a negative should there be any stumbles by the school itself.

9/25/2017 3:37 pm  #3

9/25/2017 7:50 pm  #4

I've been incredibly impressed with him thus far. In all my years on campus, I never once saw Dr. Dougherty.  This October he is going to submit his university strategic plan.  I imagine we may hear about Palumbo then.  What other initiatives would you like to see put in place?  My ideas (not sure how feasible)

1.  Expansion/further development of Uptown.  Community outreach here.

2.  Expand engineering programs.  This would be my #1 priority.  We only offer one degree in engineering and Pittsburgh is blowing up.  We have a unique opportunity to benefit from that explosion of talent.  I realize this is easier said than done, but working with Pitt would be my first step. 

3.  Upgrade freshmen dorms if possible, or at least Saint Anne's. 

4.  Continue to add more programs to the health and science school.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/26/2017 5:16 am  #5

Simms wrote:

I've been incredibly impressed with him thus far. In all my years on campus, I never once saw Dr. Dougherty. This October he is going to submit his university strategic plan. I imagine we may hear about Palumbo then. What other initiatives would you like to see put in place? My ideas (not sure how feasible)

1. Expansion/further development of Uptown. Community outreach here.

2. Expand engineering programs. This would be my #1 priority. We only offer one degree in engineering and Pittsburgh is blowing up. We have a unique opportunity to benefit from that explosion of talent. I realize this is easier said than done, but working with Pitt would be my first step.

3. Upgrade freshmen dorms if possible, or at least Saint Anne's.

4. Continue to add more programs to the health and science school.

This is a pretty astute post. I guess it depends how the mission of the University is refined/redefined/re-designed. Pittsburgh has changed dramatically from my days as a student at the tail end of the steel industry. Lots of classmates came from middle class, working families, many with at least one relative who worked in a steel mill or a WV coal mine. Others had family-oriented construction businesses. My internship was with a ship building company (Dravo). Today, service industries seem to dominate: health care, financial, etc. Anticipating future trends and educating Pittsburghers to be successful in that future will likely be at the core of that mission, and you've got some awesome ideas here.

​I think the one thing I would always want to see is a goal oriented towards excellence. "To be the number one..." "To deliver the best..." "To achieve the highest..." I'd have to think about particulars.

9/26/2017 6:12 am  #6

El Duq ue. This too is a pretty astute post and I think Ken Gormley is the man for the job! I think Pgh now see s itself largely as meds and eds and that the school mission will continue to move towards service disciplines. The school of education offers half tuition because of declining enrollment and President Gormley will advance the profile and mission positively if his work with the Law School as Dean is any indicator!

9/26/2017 6:48 am  #7

Getting into the top 100 schools would be a reasonable goal as well.

9/26/2017 7:36 am  #8

Agree

9/26/2017 9:38 am  #9

Cracking the top 100 would be amazing.  Obviously we have some slight disadvantages as most of the top ranked universities are research schools with a giant medical school attached.    That said, As a graduate of the school of education, I was extremely happy to see the scholarship plan put into place.  They are beginning new outreach programs to alumni too which is nice to see.  

Our Law School is going to rise.  I'm not worried about that.  

I think the future is bright.  I'm eagerly anticipating the strategic plan.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

9/26/2017 10:24 am  #10

Agree and alumni outreach is improving and looking forward to homecoming game

9/26/2017 5:13 pm  #11

I saw this earlier today and wanted to make sure it was posted it - glad to see it up. I love this from the President - walking the walk!

If this is the effort for fall sports - I am very excited to see what may be in store for the "flagship" sport. 

I echo the thoughts of Simms - while we were on campus we had more of a chance seeing Pres. George W. Bush roaming A Walk than Pres. Dougherty. I feel we are in quite good hands. 

9/26/2017 5:25 pm  #12

Ifky are you coming to the homecoming game? I encourage you to and see first hand what I am talking about!I admittedly am about Duquesne football and raising  it's profile and this President and AD clearly get that this is extremely important to the overall picture of Duquesne

9/26/2017 7:33 pm  #13

Not sure what time we'd get there, but I'll be in Pittsburgh the weekend of Oct. 20-22 and will try to swing by Rooney Field to catch a few minutes of the Iron Dukes.

9/26/2017 8:07 pm  #14

El Duque glad to hear that you're in town that weekend and if you have time to stop by the St Francis game let me know. Love to catch up and I am easy to find... the old fat bald guy in an Iron Dukes throwback. Thanks for the update on hoops football  and all Duquesne sports and  your work on this fan forum!

Board footera