Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/08/2017 11:36 am  #26

Re: New name on roster

Brown is working towards an ms in leadership.  No GRE or other test to enter the program.
On line.  Admissions Aug, Jan and April.
Coppin doesn't offer this program.
Don't know when he entered the school.  Probably Aug. 1.  
Don't know about the scholarship.  All I know is that none of the other A10 are complaining about the Dukes number of scholarships which, for me, indicates that the Dukes, at least technically, are in compliance.

10/08/2017 2:31 pm  #27

I don’t get all the angst over the scholarship count.  We all can count, including powers that be in compliance and NCAA, etc.  Everyone is so excited about KD on one hand and afraid there is something amiss on the other.  It has been pointed out that walk ons, hardship, transfers, non qualifiers, de-commits, and who knows what else can impact things.  Positively and negatively.  I prefer to just chill and enjoy this new era - I trust this administration fully

10/08/2017 5:41 pm  #28

Its possible Chas Brown was in school late August and the press anouncement  is slow in coming.Maybe
Brown starts classes in January. Duquesne is going to spend millions of  dollars to rebuild this program
and these coaches and administrators are honorable men working for a school that prides itself on ethics,
being with god. A  stupid short cut only to be put on probation puts the schools reputation,the honor of
Gormley ,Harper and Dambrot in jeopardy.Dambrot is looking to bring this program back and  cement his
reputation as a great coach. As fans we need to be patient and also positive .

10/08/2017 6:43 pm  #29

I honestly can't believe some of the comments, and implications, I have read in this thread.  Back to basics: Of course Brown enrolled in August. Brown may or may not be paying his own way, but rest assured DU is NOT over the scholarship limit, DU Compliance, the A10 and the NCAA all certify scholarship compliance.  Dambrot knows what he is doing . He has always run a clean program, is highly respected and served on the NCAA Rules Committee.  My advice is to relax and stop with the hysterical comments. We may have some kids paying their own way, or possibly on academic scholarship and this will all become clear at some point.     I think we are not use to having a dynamic coach like him.

10/08/2017 7:23 pm  #30

CLK wrote:

I honestly can't believe some of the comments, and implications, I have read in this thread.  Back to basics: Of course Brown enrolled in August. Brown may or may not be paying his own way, but rest assured DU is NOT over the scholarship limit, DU Compliance, the A10 and the NCAA all certify scholarship compliance.  Dambrot knows what he is doing . He has always run a clean program, is highly respected and served on the NCAA Rules Committee.  My advice is to relax and stop with the hysterical comments. We may have some kids paying their own way, or possibly on academic scholarship and this will all become clear at some point.     I think we are not use to having a dynamic coach like him.

Yes! Every part of this post is true, especially that the coach and the Team know what they are doing. They should be shaking things up and doing things differently, lest we end up with the same result year after year. The change in attitude and culture has to affect all corners of the program, from preparation to recruiting to marketing to the nacho guy to the ways in which we support the program. Given the leadership that is in place, I can tolerate the discomfort of not knowing everything. If people from other programs are Complaining about us not relegating ourselves to doormat status, then so be it.

10/08/2017 7:26 pm  #31

Thank you Stew and CLK for those comments.  That really sums up where I was coming from.  Only about a month until the opener!!  The stuff that matters.

10/08/2017 9:10 pm  #32

Dukes2012 wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

When did Chas Brown enroll in school ? What graduate program starts the first week of October ? Now the scholarship numbers this year and next year are worrisome . Now his relationship with Lebron and Nike are a concern to me. I would love it if the Dukes turn it around but not by doing it the wrong way. But then again, maybe it's the only way now a days .

With all due respect, I hope Dambrot would be doing better than a kid who played 18 games for one of the worst teams in the country last year with dirty money.

I agree. All things considered, I would assume he is not on scholarship. There are several hundred transfers still on the market with no scholarship opportunities still available. I assume this was a kid just looking for a last opportunity.

Saw where Coastal Carolina announced toward the end of May that Brown was going there.

10/09/2017 8:10 am  #33

With due respect, Steve, your comment re: the new Duke - shameful.  

Chas, as fellow Baltimorean familiar with your game and the Coppin State Bald Eagles -  Welcome to the Bluff and may God bless your stay.

10/09/2017 8:15 am  #34

Hilltopper wrote:

Chas, as fellow Baltimorean familiar with your game and the Coppin State Bald Eagles -  Welcome to the Bluff and may God bless your stay.

I think you misunderstood Steve's post. I think he's saying that if KD hypothetically was going to pay a player, he'd be one more highly regarded than Chas. I agree. The only thing worse than cheating, is cheating ineffectively.

10/09/2017 8:18 am  #35

Hilltopper wrote:

How was his comment shameful? He was responding to a comment that insinuated that Dambrot was doing something nefarious. Coppin State is indisputably one of the worst programs in D1 basketball. I'm happy that we will have brown but there was nothing shameful about Steve's comment.

10/09/2017 9:16 am  #36

CLK wrote:

Amen my friend.

Does anyone realize that there were hundreds of scholarship players who sought to transfer at the end of last season, and many are still without a landing place? What on earth would be wrong for any or all of these kids to finish their careers somewhere, whether or not they end up with another basketball scholarship?

That we fret over such things tells me that our fan base could use a little counseling.

10/09/2017 10:49 am  #37

ElDuque wrote:

That we fret over such things tells me that our fan base could use a little counseling.

Ha! Calling Dr. Joe Carr

10/09/2017 11:01 am  #38

It would just be nice to know what the plan is regarding the roster, calm everyone down.  Maybe someone will ask coach at the breakfast this Friday.

To be honest, when was the last time there were concerns over the DU roster.  There have been times we were happy to have enough able bodies, let alone too many good players.  :-)

Last edited by townsonkid (10/09/2017 11:03 am)

10/09/2017 11:11 am  #39

I have never seen a bunch a sensitive men as I have seen on this board. I ask two legitimate questions, where is Washington and when did Brown enroll ? All of a sudden I am a turn coat, don't want to see the Dukes do well, stirring the pot, and on and on. Every positive move the Dukes and the administration have made I applaud. People put statements on here like they are facts and I know they are not. I have experienced what goes on in college basketball programs as well as two of my daughters. These experiences include Duquesne ! When I said we should of hired Travis Ford two years ago, I was chastised, we could not afford him and the contract supplement would not be that much, again the retaliation was totally incorrect, as we did pay a coach and Oklahoma State is giving St Louis a substantial amount of money. Now people are saying, other schools would rat us out , NCAA schools and coaches do not rat out other schools publicly. I am sure Pitino thought everything was ok at Louisville as well as other coaches at other schools. You can not live your life with blinders. Lebron has a lot of pull with Nike, Coach is very close with Lebron, now Nike is with us, a losing program for thirty five years. All of sudden students that could receive scholarships ( Brown at Coastal Carolina ) are paying their on way. Me, my wife and three of my daughters graduated from Duquesne, and it's not cheap. So don't go through life with blinders on, but then again I am trying to talk to people on this board that actually thought The Dukes could win 18 to 20 games last year after losing their two best players. I hope coach can turn this thing around and I am rooting for him and the entire school and program that he accomplishes this monumental task.

10/09/2017 11:50 am  #40

Hi Wildwood,
It isn't you, many on this board have suffered years from PTSD.

Poor Times Supporting Duquesne - It has gone on for years.  99% of the folks here are fine and do understand.  I am sure that the terrible times of the terrible previous coach will fade away...but there are scars!  Keep asking your questions and your input.  Everyone needs to provide their varying points of view!

10/09/2017 12:21 pm  #41

Wildwood, questions are fine, however, implications that DU is doing something wrong is seen by many as inflammatory nonsense.  And yet you double down again with the implication about Lebron and Nike leading to kids getting under the table money to go to DU.  You are certainly free to express your opinion, no matter how baseless, but do not expect posters to share or embrace your views and not respond.

Last edited by CLK (10/09/2017 12:32 pm)

10/09/2017 2:39 pm  #42

So, Lebron James is paying for kids to go to Duquesne now? Just asking. Be better if he put his money into Palumbo. We could call it The Lebron James Arena.

10/09/2017 2:43 pm  #43

CLK, no accusations or implications, just thinking out loud. Of course what I said is baseless or the Dukes would be in a heap of trouble. Just like people post on how many wins,, or how a certain recruit will do comrade . That is what people do on blogs. I know I am only a serf and you are a Royal Duke so I will be bow down to you and exit this blog to never be heard from again. Tell Spanky and the rest of the gang, what to say and how to state it your holiness.

10/10/2017 9:43 am  #44

I know that we all share Wildwood's hope that nothing dirty ever happens at Duquesne in basketball or anything else for that matter. It does seem as though Wildwood assumed the worst and even stated that it might be the only way to get it done these days. It seems that he appointed himself judge, jury, and executioner here. I do not believe that there is anything to worry about as others have stated. We have too many high caliber folks involved including our president, our AD and KD all of whom seem to be above reproach. Like most others on this board, I am thrilled to be witnessing the return to prominence of DU hoops. It is truly an exciting time! Wildwood, I do hope that you will be part of that!

10/10/2017 12:11 pm  #45

Wildwood13 wrote:

CLK, no accusations or implications, just thinking out loud. Of course what I said is baseless or the Dukes would be in a heap of trouble. Just like people post on how many wins,, or how a certain recruit will do comrade . That is what people do on blogs. I know I am only a serf and you are a Royal Duke so I will be bow down to you and exit this blog to never be heard from again. Tell Spanky and the rest of the gang, what to say and how to state it your holiness.

I am not going to respond to your personal attack  I figure that somebody who put three kids through DU deserves personal respect even if he does not offer it to others.  I will say this, however, don't expect to come on this Board and make controversial and insulting comments and not get push back.  Posters are not being willfully blind by keeping their eyes closed as you suggested, but rather keeping their minds open, and not rushing to judgement without all the facts. If you can't take the push back and feel you need to leave in a huff so be it.

Last edited by CLK (10/10/2017 1:34 pm)

10/10/2017 10:15 pm  #46

Hilltopper wrote:

No offense taken and I meant none to Brown either. He's just not the archetype of a player you want to risk your program by cheating to get him though he is the kind of player you'd root like hell makes the most of what could be his last shot. I don't think that's an unfair assessment.

10/11/2017 10:00 pm  #47

Maybe he looked at his OOC schedule for 2017-2018 and thought it would be a good time to leave ?
Oregon, Cincinnati, Rutgers, Georgetown, Connecticut, West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Penn State...
Their easy game is against UMBC... Oh wait, didn't we lose to the Retrievers by 9 last year?
Seriously, anytime you can get a player who is expected to compete for his league's MVP is a good thing.  I think KD knows what he is doing.

Last edited by indygjm (10/11/2017 10:04 pm)

10/12/2017 10:00 am  #48

Cant we just all get along?

10/12/2017 10:28 pm  #49

I spoke with Dave Harper about the scholarship situation today and he assured me we are in compliance.

I asked him what I could post here to alleviate the fretting that's going on and he told me that 2 of the players whom people are speculating about are indeed paying their own way.  One will most likely receive an athletic scholarship next year while the other will never get an athletic scholarship at Duquesne.  If you can read between the lines you should be able to guess who the latter is.  Privacy issues preclude me from saying more, but there is no need to fret.

Lots of fun tonight.  At least 60 - 70 alums and supporters including former players BB Flenory, Garry Nelson, Jim Balog and Jarrett Durham.  Quite a few prodigal fans who are coming back into the season ticket holding fold. 

If you haven't purchased your tickets yet call Conor McGartland at (412) 396-5124 and help restore our program to what it once was.  Good things are happening and you won't be disappointed.

Just think about it for a moment.  Two young men who could have gotten a free ride elsewhere are paying their own way to be part of Keith Dambrot's program.  That in itself is quite a statement as to where we are headed.

10/13/2017 5:08 am  #50

Hey VBC thanks for the update and I going to ACBA breakfast now to hear Dave and Coach Dambrot speak. BB and Nels are going to be there and expect a crowd of 60plus.

Board footera