Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2017 9:16 am  #1

A10 Media Day

Dukes picked to finish dead last.

MLII picked third team all conference.

http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31600&ATCLID=211673363

10/17/2017 9:28 am  #2

Re: A10 Media Day

This is great news! I want nothing more than a motivated Dambrot and team.

10/17/2017 11:39 am  #3

The OOC schedule should give Duquesne some wins and confidence, I think that the style of play and upgraded coaching will provide a contrasting opponent compared to the last 4 years plus type of Duquesne team, that the other conference teams are used to playing and beating.

This could be an interesting year until the upgraded transfers and recruits arrive next year.

I expect Duquesne to once again be the Battling Dukes......

A diehard fan since 1961

10/17/2017 12:57 pm  #4

There is no way that this coaching staff will permit this team to come in last place!  I do agree with RI as First.

10/17/2017 1:17 pm  #5

Lots of confidence in the coaching staff. Will not finish last. Maybe tied for 11 or 12. Something of that nature.

10/17/2017 1:53 pm  #6

Top 7.

Call me out if I'm wrong.

10/17/2017 2:33 pm  #7

Dang!  Charlie Brown's son is 6'7''.   

10/17/2017 2:54 pm  #8

El Duque Bringing it! Hahaha ... love it!

10/17/2017 3:43 pm  #9

ED, you may not be too far off. Just imagine if we start off 3-0 in conference play. It's not out of the question, home games against Dayton and GW, both down this year, to start, then a road game against a Fordham team (students still on break) that doesn't appear to have much beyond Chartouny. The Dukes managed to beat a more talented Fordham team in that spot last year. It's an optimistic scenario, but I think 7 wins in conference play is very doable. That would be one win better than Jimbo's best A10 season. And if the team is able to build early confidence and cohesion, they could steal another game or two in conference play. 

10/17/2017 4:16 pm  #10

Did anybody catch coach Dambrots interview?

10/17/2017 5:40 pm  #11

10/17/2017 6:09 pm  #12

Would be a big help if Williams can do what what Dambrot thinks he's capable of. I wasn't expecting him to get much playing time with Smith, Castro, and Lewis at the 2 guard spots. Maybe he'll be playing the 3 with James  I think Smith will step up this year to make El Duque proud and lead us out of the cellar  .

10/17/2017 6:13 pm  #13

I was of the opinion that Williams was criminally under-recruited, and Dambrot's comments on his progression kind of confirm it. How does a 6'5" guard with great athleticism and scoring ability not garner more than two d1 offers?

10/17/2017 7:04 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Top 7.

Here's my thing. To be top seven they need a better record than seven other teams, stating the obvious of course. I don't have to strain my brain too badly to put them ahead of a few teams.

Fordham - IMO the worst team in the league.
UMASS- I like Holloway as much as the next guy but this team is a crap shoot, IMO. The same logic one can apply to the Dukes over achieving you can apply to UMASS.
GW - my dark horse to finish last. Remind of an extreme one man show ala LaSalle a few years ago.

There is a pretty big step up after that. George Mason may have a set back similar to what we had when AJAX graduated. I like LaSalle this year more than the average person might but I see some holes.

Could they win the right games and end up over achieving thanks in part to tie breakers? Could they pull off some upsets? Now is not a bad year to look at that. However, I think it's the difference between what could happen and is likely to happen. I just don't see a combination of 4 other teams I could comfortably say the Dukes finish ahead of. For me nine is probably the absolute ceiling and a giant reach at that.

10/17/2017 7:38 pm  #15

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Top 7.

Here's my thing. To be top seven they need a better record than seven other teams, stating the obvious of course. I don't have to strain my brain too badly to put them ahead of a few teams.

Fordham - IMO the worst team in the league.
UMASS- I like Holloway as much as the next guy but this team is a crap shoot, IMO. The same logic one can apply to the Dukes over achieving you can apply to UMASS.
GW - my dark horse to finish last. Remind of an extreme one man show ala LaSalle a few years ago.

There is a pretty big step up after that. George Mason may have a set back similar to what we had when AJAX graduated. I like LaSalle this year more than the average person might but I see some holes.

Could they win the right games and end up over achieving thanks in part to tie breakers? Could they pull off some upsets? Now is not a bad year to look at that. However, I think it's the difference between what could happen and is likely to happen. I just don't see a combination of 4 other teams I could comfortably say the Dukes finish ahead of. For me nine is probably the absolute ceiling and a giant reach at that.

The key will be to take care of the cupcakes during the ooc. Just like the Dukes, Bobby Mo, and Pitt were picked to finish last in one of the major magazines. The Pitt game is winnable, but Bobby Mo is a must. If they can't beat this Bobby Mo team at Palumbo, they'll struggle to win 10 games overall. If they can go 11-2 ooc, they should be able to post a winning record. CBI, would be a tremendous accomplishment for this year.

10/17/2017 7:46 pm  #16

Re: Recent article on Tydus and assessment of Eric Williams above noted

What wasn't said out loud at the gathering in Cranberry Township was that Tydus and Williams are absolute pleasant surprises to the coaching staff.  That to me means we have four (Lewis, II, Smith, Tydus and Williams) of five spots filled in.  Add Jordan Robinson to the mix since he was referenced as a four in the Tydus article.   Add Chas Brown to the mix and we have a decent to good starting 6.  Add Rene Castro and Eric James to the mix and we now have 8 reliable D-1 caliber players.  We should be optimistic with these guys that we can do a lot better than 14 and perhaps reach E.D.'s 7 spot prediction.  Remember that K.D. says he didn't come here to finish 14th, 10th or 7th;  he came to win championships!  I tend to lean to E.D.'s though processes.  Let's revisit this on Saturday after we see first hand our new kids on the block.

10/17/2017 8:01 pm  #17

10/17/2017 9:09 pm  #18

10/17/2017 9:11 pm  #19

http://dystnow.com/2017/10/17/duquesnes-season-may-hinge-on-non-conference-play/

Got some guys banged up a bit, according to Z-Dub.

Dang, we're going to have a physical team.

10/18/2017 6:33 am  #20

krivacevic is a junior not a freshman as the story states. wonder if they have him and Kraholm (sp?} confused?

10/18/2017 6:37 am  #21

PSN has an article on Williams.

10/18/2017 7:20 am  #22

Nice story and good reporting, seems like this freshman is chomping at the bit to be part of turning the Dukes around. Maybe a player to remember, this Eric Williams, Jr.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/18/2017 11:44 am  #23

WashPaRick wrote:

krivacevic is a junior not a freshman as the story states. wonder if they have him and Kraholm (sp?} confused?

No confusion just a stupid mistake on my end. Everything stands.

10/18/2017 11:56 am  #24

zacharymweiss wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

No confusion just a stupid mistake on my end. Everything stands.

Zac, thanks for the clarification. Appreciate your effort in going to DC to report firsthand, resulting in a very good article.

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (10/18/2017 11:57 am)

10/18/2017 5:09 pm  #25

I'm shooting for 10th, so we can start without the play-in game of the A10 tournament

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

Board footera