Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/18/2017 7:47 pm  #26

Re: A10 Media Day

Zac, would you happen to know why Nick Washington is no longer on the roster?

10/18/2017 7:56 pm  #27

Had to chuckle when coach said Williams scored 50 pts. in a game so he must have the ability to score or something similar to that. It reminded of when Niksa Tarle came here and was touted as scoring 70 or more points in a game. I had high hopes of him lighting it up. I doubt he scored 70 pts. in his Duquesne career and probably had more traveling calls then buckets.

10/18/2017 9:41 pm  #28

I don't remember anything touted about 70 points a game for Tarle.

I do remember that John Carroll had a knack, long before Ferry did the same, for keeping some apparent talent firmly glued to the bench. You can't score when you're sitting on the pine.

10/18/2017 10:26 pm  #29

applecorps wrote:

I don't remember anything touted about 70 points a game for Tarle.

I do remember that John Carroll had a knack, long before Ferry did the same, for keeping some apparent talent firmly glued to the bench. You can't score when you're sitting on the pine.

Not 70 points a game, 70 points in a game.

10/19/2017 8:42 am  #30

I get the difference. Simply left "in" out of the sentence.

Point was that Tarle never got a decent chance,

10/19/2017 10:42 am  #31

As a senior Tarle got some playing time and was effective in some games I saw. He played ackward but was disruptive around the glass and came up with key baskets at times.

Remember, he played for the coach who once told a Duquesne Hall of Fame player he would play a walk on before Playing him again, and he proved it. He later as interim coach of the NBA Boston Celtics, traded away that same former Duquesne player who was his inherited starting point guard, He sent him to Detroit where Mike James won a NBA ring as a member of the NBA Champions.

What a loser that JC was, another BC blunder.

A diehard fan since 1961

10/19/2017 3:43 pm  #32

I have only ever known 1 or 2 Dukes players. I was around Mike James a good deal in both undergrad & grad school. By all reports he is now & has been for a long time a fine human being. However, I am here to tell you that at least in his early college years he was exactly the kind of guy most coaches would hate to have on their team.

I always think of JC as slightly above average coach in a terrible situation. BC is a different story.

Phildog wrote:

As a senior Tarle got some playing time and was effective in some games I saw. He played ackward but was disruptive around the glass and came up with key baskets at times.

Remember, he played for the coach who once told a Duquesne Hall of Fame player he would play a walk on before Playing him again, and he proved it. He later as interim coach of the NBA Boston Celtics, traded away that same former Duquesne player who was his inherited starting point guard, He sent him to Detroit where Mike James won a NBA ring as a member of the NBA Champions.

10/19/2017 7:12 pm  #33

phil95 wrote:

I have only ever known 1 or 2 Dukes players. I was around Mike James a good deal in both undergrad & grad school. By all reports he is now & has been for a long time a fine human being. However, I am here to tell you that at least in his early college years he was exactly the kind of guy most coaches would hate to have on their team.

I always think of JC as slightly above average coach in a terrible situation. BC is a different story.

Phildog wrote:

BC is by far the worst.

10/20/2017 12:15 am  #34

The players disliked Carroll as he was disrespectful .Had he created a family like atmosphere where he took
a interest in the players, things would have turned out better for him at Duquesne.
   He was a good recruiter at Seton Hall,but at Duquesne he had to coach and didnt seem to have the patience
and maturity to develop players with mid major talent.

10/20/2017 6:34 am  #35

president wrote:

Lots of confidence in the coaching staff. Will not finish last. Maybe tied for 11 or 12. Something of that nature.

Gee, nothing like raising the bar. They'll finish last because of new players and no depth.

Board footera