Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2017 9:42 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - VMI

The difference in confidence between Castro-Canedy and Smith I think is night and day between last year and this year. They both have been so smooth on drives to the basket and I think are making very smart decisions with the ball, generally. And Lewis looked like himself, which is good.

24 TOs on defense. That's what I like to see.

ITS EARLY but our guard play has made me look forward to these games like the team can handle it.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/14/2017 10:10 pm  #27

Kratholm didn't score, but he has a nice shot.

11/15/2017 12:32 am  #28

The differences between this team and last year's is really noticeable.  Defense won this game.  I saw only 2 or 3 defensive breakdowns where a shot was uncontested.  Last year this would have been a loss.  Even with a short bench, I think this team will surprise some people. 

11/15/2017 6:53 am  #29

Having I-Mike back this year would have been a big help, as we all know. Verhoeven and Kratholm are very raw right now but both are talented and will be four-year contributors. Getting The other two bigs will be a huge help because one of the outcomes of young big men is fouls. And knowing Dambrot wants to play tough D, well, we only have 15 to give right now. Eric Williams Jr. is a rising star. Between him, DLII, Smith, and Castro-Cannedy, we've got guys who can score, but with only a 3 man rotation in the backcourt (plus Eric James), yeah, we're really thin right now. 

I like that Dambrot is so animated on the sidelines. Not to the extent of Mike Rice, but you can see him coaching kids up and letting the refs know when they blow a call.

Have to say this too: Mike Lewis II is going to be the best player on the court most nights. Some A-10 teams will throw the #s2-6 on the court some nights, and with the lack of depth and newness of the program we'll have some ugly losses later in the year. But MLII will always give us the puncher's chance as long as this team continues to play smart, play hard, and play defense.

11/15/2017 7:13 am  #30

Duques102 wrote:

Look solid on d and ok on offense but shots aren't really falling. VMI sucks.

Chaz Brown is shorter than Verhoeven as well. Idk how tall he's listed but I'd say 6'7"

Anyone know if Chas was injured before he got here? If so that might be why we were able to get him so late.

11/15/2017 7:57 am  #31

Does anyone miss the Ferry " Weave" yet?

A diehard fan since 1961

11/15/2017 8:46 am  #32

I went to the game last night.  I have no idea how many games this team will win.  However, it is certain that these players will hustle, play tough and play better defense than any Duquesne team in my memory.  That is good enough for me this season.

Consider that Lewis, Castro-Kennedy, Smith, James and Robinson were on the team last season and they all looked markedly improved to me. Coaching makes a difference. Would they have blown this game last year after watching the 15 point lead cut to 5?  History says that is probable.  Sitting there, I just felt that we have a real coach with control, a real plan and the respect of the players and that the Dukes would win.

Castro-Kennedy finally looks like the guy who was so highly recruited out of high school.  Dambrot has helped him a ton and it's so obvious. 

I'm looking forward to the RMU game.  Duquesne basketball is going to be fun again.  Let's enjoy it!

11/15/2017 9:40 am  #33

townsonkid wrote:

Williams can lead the way.  ML2 is the main man, and can fill the bucket, but Williams can do it all, and I loved his ball handling against their press, his steal, quick hands, can rebound.  In time, he can become a legit A10 player.  Wont be easy to win games when anyone fouls out.  Coach will need to rotate a lot and use his TOs.  Nice win.  Bobby Mo next.
Any update on Chas Brown?  Last I heard Dec 1?

In the pregame Jarrett said that they will evaluated Brown the beginning of the month, and Krivacevic could be out another 4 to 6 weeks.  I guess that came from the Trainer.  

11/15/2017 9:42 am  #34

11/15/2017 9:50 am  #35

Does anyone know if Taylor will be eligible to play immediately after the end of the football season, or will he have to wait until the end of the semester?

11/15/2017 9:51 am  #36

To get Brown back would be nice, esp when games are 2-3 a week.  Robinson will need as many breathers as he can get.  Fingers crossed he can at least play 8-10 minutes starting early December.

11/15/2017 10:54 am  #37

Dukes2012 wrote:

Does anyone know if Taylor will be eligible to play immediately after the end of the football season, or will he have to wait until the end of the semester?

Based on last year, Taylor should be ready to start to practice with the team as soon as the football season is over (Saturday 11/18). From Taylor's player profile on the official Dukes site:
As a Freshman (2016-17)
• Saw action in 12 games off the bench after joining the team following football season in late November.
• Went through his first practice on Nov. 22 (football ended on Nov. 19).
• Made his debut with a one-minute stint vs. Jackson State on Dec. 19.
• Played in 10 Atlantic 10 games.
• Totaled four points in three minutes vs. VCU.
• Scored eight points and added two rebounds in a season-high 13 minutes vs. Rhode Island.

11/15/2017 11:13 am  #38

Just a few comments about last night's game:
I think my favorite play of the game was when JROB knocked the ball away from VMI, dove to the floor to recover it and flipped it ahead to Rene who found MLII on the wing for an open, in rhythm, three.  I loved the effort by Jordan to recover the loose ball. 

Tarin is playing his best basketball of his college career, and giving this team leadership and controlling tempo on the floor.  Gone are the temporary losses of focus that we saw last season, occasional turnovers that made you scratch your head.  He is getting his shots within the flow, not forcing things and finding teammates for open looks.

Tydus's foul trouble limited his action, but in a brief stint in the second half his two straight blocked shots helped turn the game back to Duquesne, after VMI made its run.  It kind of put them back in their place, by cutting off their path to easy layups!  It gave us a glimpse of his great potential as a basket protector on the back line.

Rene' is playing great, and I took a hint from Coach D's comments after the last game and watched him defend his man. He is very good at staying between his man and the basket in most cases.  As a team we still need to get better at that skill.

Unsung hero last night was Nick Kratholm giving us valuable minutes at the "5" after Tydus fouled out and Jordan was on the bench with four fouls.  He seems to have a good understanding of defense, which is so important for a guy coming off the bench.  He also wasn't afraid to step out and take a few shots. 

Finally, did anyone notice Coach D's leaping move late in the game, on the sidelines, when the inbounds play to Jordan worked to perfection for a slam, only to have the ball pop out of the hoop?  Coach D might be ready for an appearance on "Dancing with the Stars" after that performance! 

11/15/2017 11:38 am  #39

-I miss that weave...when it began you knew the former coach ran out of ideas and hoped something wild and crazy would have happened
-We would have lost this game last year
-Watching Dambrot on the sidelines is worth just going
-Love watching Tydus Verhoeven

11/15/2017 11:50 am  #40

FAM wrote:

-I d
-Wn

I kept thinking to myself everytime VMI got close in both halves, almost like a mantra  "VMI WILL NOT ever lead in this game!....VMI WILL NOT ever lead in this game!   and it worked.  In years past they would have folded.  Not this team, not this year!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/15/2017 11:55 am  #41

At last night's game. Nice baseline drive and stuff by JRob but need to see more of that and getting the ball in to him which we don't see much of yet. Chas Brown can't get here soon enough! Really need some inside presence. Heard Jarrett on the post game say that we have nothing inside except guards getting to the rim. I must agree. Think RMU will be really tough for us as they almost always are. KD doing great job with what he has to work with! I will not predict any more double digit wins. Won't see too many of those.

11/15/2017 11:55 am  #42

levon1975 wrote:

Just a few comments about last night's game:
I think my favorite play of the game was when JROB knocked the ball away from VMI, dove to the floor to recover it and flipped it ahead to Rene who found MLII on the wing for an open, in rhythm, three.  I loved the effort by Jordan to recover the loose ball. 

Tarin is playing his best basketball of his college career, and giving this team leadership and controlling tempo on the floor.  Gone are the temporary losses of focus that we saw last season, occasional turnovers that made you scratch your head.  He is getting his shots within the flow, not forcing things and finding teammates for open looks.

Tydus's foul trouble limited his action, but in a brief stint in the second half his two straight blocked shots helped turn the game back to Duquesne, after VMI made its run.  It kind of put them back in their place, by cutting off their path to easy layups!  It gave us a glimpse of his great potential as a basket protector on the back line.

Rene' is playing great, and I took a hint from Coach D's comments after the last game and watched him defend his man. He is very good at staying between his man and the basket in most cases.  As a team we still need to get better at that skill.

Unsung hero last night was Nick Kratholm giving us valuable minutes at the "5" after Tydus fouled out and Jordan was on the bench with four fouls.  He seems to have a good understanding of defense, which is so important for a guy coming off the bench.  He also wasn't afraid to step out and take a few shots. 

Finally, did anyone notice Coach D's leaping move late in the game, on the sidelines, when the inbounds play to Jordan worked to perfection for a slam, only to have the ball pop out of the hoop?  Coach D might be ready for an appearance on "Dancing with the Stars" after that performance! 

JRob REALLY impressed me, not just with the hustle and going to the floor, but the presence of mind to get the ball to Rene.

11/17/2017 8:13 am  #43

FAM wrote:

-I miss that weave...when it began you knew the former coach ran out of ideas and hoped something wild and crazy would have happened
-Watching Dambrot on the sidelines is worth just going
-Love watching Tydus Verhoeven

Danny Nee did the original weave with Courtney Wallace. We WOULD have lost this game last year even with that deeper bench. One thing of note. The ball going into the post was not a promise, it actually was called time and time again. Nice...

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

11/17/2017 10:34 am  #44

Courtney Wallace played his last season under Darelle Porter. Jamal Hunter and Buzz Forney were the starting backcourt in Nee's first season. Then he brought in Bryant McAllister and Jimmy Tricco.

11/17/2017 10:46 am  #45

The difference with these kids, when they come out of the game it's for a breather or foul trouble, not because of a mistake. And they play like they know it and get back into the flow and play hoops without one eye on the coach.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/17/2017 6:48 pm  #46

ElDuque wrote:

Courtney Wallace played his last season under Darelle Porter. Jamal Hunter and Buzz Forney were the starting backcourt in Nee's first season. Then he brought in Bryant McAllister and Jimmy Tricco.

I stand corrected. Does anyone know whatever became of the Courtney Wallace lawsuit? Just curious.

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

Board footera