Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/11/2017 8:15 pm  #1

Video Broadcast

I don't mean to throw cold water on what was a nice win, but I feel that whoever is running the internet broadcast needs to be called out.  The video broadcast was horribly embarrassing tonight.  There was no running score or time on the screen, the sound was out for much of the game so anybody watching had no clue of the score or time. Some of the cameras were blurry, and I also don't understand why they simply can't mute the sound during commercials but go to a message screen.  It is not like they are running video commercials but using a radio feed.   This reminds me of the early days of video feeds.  Dave Harper said he wants to change the culture at DU and little things matter, he needs to look at this product.

11/11/2017 9:12 pm  #2

Re: Video Broadcast

Agree 100%.  When the game is close like it was, having a crappy viewing experience put me in one hell of a bad mood.  Thank God they won.  Hopefully when we renovate Palumbo we allow for better TV viewing experiences.  Still, as mentioned, the video feeds have to improve.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/11/2017 10:48 pm  #3

I was wondering about this.   The main scoreboard didn’t have a running score either.  Only on timeouts.  And I noticed how blurry the picture was.

The scoreboard ads also said to follow all Dukes games on the radio home ESPN 970

Aren’t the games still on 1320?  Unless I missed something. 

But to have that on the scoreboard, if not, is really inexcusable.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/12/2017 11:43 am)

11/12/2017 8:12 am  #4

I fed this to my big screen from iPad and Apple TV, and when sound kept going out listened on I heart WJAS, the video runs about 5-7 seconds behind so when I checked score on the running box score I knew what the coming plays were, since The video was behind. Didn't want to hear radio since it was ahead of what was on the screen.

Not a fun way to watch live sports.

Hope this was just first game mess up

A diehard fan since 1961

11/12/2017 10:53 am  #5

This also makes me crazy due to the fact that literally every A-10 schools' broadcast is significantly better & always has been.

11/12/2017 11:42 am  #6

I think like CLK stated that last year was a tremendous improvement.   

With all due respect, I’m a little tired of “first game” excuses.   Yesterday you may have had more people tuning in to see Dambrot’s coaching debut.  You want to make a good first impression. 

They give it away free.  Other A10 schools charge a fee.   I’m sure they would like to get to the point where they can go back to having it a pay site.  You need success on the court and demand for the product for that.  And a feed people are willing to pay for.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/12/2017 12:19 pm)

11/12/2017 12:03 pm  #7

Absolutely no excuse for this.

11/12/2017 12:52 pm  #8

I do not know who is responsible for the video production.  Is it Learfield Sports?  That would really be sad to pay them for this (well no other way to say it) garbage.  Or is the AD or Media staff?  As others have mentioned DU is way behind other schools in this area.  I believe the Bonnies video is produced by students in the Media School.  They do a really good job with multiple HD cameras, on court interviews, and just way superior production.  Mr. Harper please look at this situation as it truly is an embarrassment.  

11/12/2017 1:15 pm  #9

I can't comment on this to the extent of my out of town friends as if I'm not at the home games then something is up and I'm not going to be watching online, either.  I do want to agree with CLK that the Saint Bonaventure student run production is outstanding.  Following their example would be a good thing.

11/12/2017 1:25 pm  #10

Bonaventure got super lucky. An alum donated a production truck & a ton of great equipment that was used previously by ABC Sports

11/13/2017 11:24 am  #11

I'm not too impressed with the video guy. Believe his name is Eric Kaminski.  I believe harper announced a video streaming upgrade so i am not sure why they can't get their streaming act together. For a school in the A10, several things they do is pathetic and looks like they play in the MAAC

typical Duquesne!

11/13/2017 12:30 pm  #12

HerbertHoover wrote:

I'm not too impressed with the video guy. Believe his name is Eric Kaminski.  I believe harper announced a video streaming upgrade so i am not sure why they can't get their streaming act together. For a school in the A10, several things they do is pathetic and looks like they play in the MAAC

typical Duquesne!

Erik Kaminski
Assistant Director of Multimedia Operations
412-396-5113
Email:  kaminsk4@duq.edu
http://www.goduquesne.com/genrel/erik_kaminski_867194.html

11/15/2017 10:46 am  #13

The running score & time was back on screen, and the sound was much better last night.  Thanks.  Hopefully the University will continue to look at ways of improving the Broadcasts.  

11/20/2017 10:43 am  #14

Seriously, what is the problem at Duquesne?  No sound much of the first half, blurry picture much of the second half.  I know this seems like a small thing to complain about for many of the local fans. But this is the face of DU basketball for out of town fans, players families, and others interested in the Dukes.  It has been a complete embarrassment for so  long.  Why is it so hard for Duquesne to get it right?  It honestly seem like nobody at DU really cares enough to fix this. 

11/20/2017 11:02 am  #15

It is a real adventure to wait for and watch the video feed. The sound was off for much of the first half and the picture was unreliable.

It does seem like this is just an afterthought for the viewing folks, ones who would be season ticket holders once again, if only they still lived in the Pittsburgh area.

Instead of showcasing Duquesne Basketball, it is shown as if video streaming was just invented.

How about turning on the video feed before tipoff and just mute the audio when Ray and Coach Jarrett go to the station breaks and spots?

That way we could still get the feel of the game and not a screen saying to stand by.

Glad to have the tv feed but I know it could be so much better.

A diehard fan since 1961

11/20/2017 6:20 pm  #16

I emailed Eric.  Here is the response I got on the sound.

“We troubleshot the issue and tracked it to an external source which is used exclusively for men’s basketball games. The issue was repaired, which you noticed late in the first half and all through the second as the audio was fine.”

The blurry picture that we all seemed to experience doesn’t have a simple answer. 

He asked what I was watching on.  I said a PC.  And I told him I had no trouble watching many other games on ESPN3. 

Here was the response I got for that. 

“Media players on some PCs check your Internet speed at that time and will "dumb" down resolution. ESPN3 has this feature but it compensates as your connection gets better. I've attached an image of where you can find the resolution for future reference. It's the drop down menu.”

An image was attached.  I will try what he said the next game.   

I will try one more time and then I will just stop watching altogether.  Plain and simple.

I thanked him.  I still don’t know why I never have a problem with other schools webcasts.  Or other ESPN3 webcasts.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/20/2017 6:21 pm)

11/21/2017 5:23 pm  #17

On a somewhat related note, the posting of stats on the large central board over the center of the court during games is poorly done.  

-First, the worst thing is there is not a title above the stats.  You have to figure out which numbers play for which team to figure out which stats match!!!  This is ridiculous.
-Second, they are shown very infrequently to do anyone any good.

Last edited by FAM (11/21/2017 5:23 pm)

11/21/2017 8:24 pm  #18

FAM wrote:

On a somewhat related note, the posting of stats on the large central board over the center of the court during games is poorly done.  

-First, the worst thing is there is not a title above the stats.  You have to figure out which numbers play for which team to figure out which stats match!!!  This is ridiculous.
-Second, they are shown very infrequently to do anyone any good.

Well since you brought this up I’m going to run with it. 

They had an in game host a few years ago.  That has disappeared. 

The scoreboard shows an opening video.  Then same internet feed as fans at home sometime see.  No replays ever. 

If they are going to just put a camera on the game on the scoreboard, I’d rather have stats all the time.  They don’t have any graphics.  Like “3”, “Lets Go Dukes” or “defense”

I’m at the game.  I need stats. I don’t need the scoreboard to show me what I can see live.  I’m in Palumbo.  I’m 100 feet away from the action at worst.   I’m not in Heinz Field where I may need to watch scoreboard to see what happens.

They continue to give a minimum effort every season. 

I didn’t want to Complain but your post fired me up.

Last edited by duqkurt (11/21/2017 8:26 pm)

11/22/2017 9:36 am  #19

Does it make me some kind of a tech dinosaur that I am happy just for the chance to see every game, something we couldn't do until just a few years ago?  I remember just getting one or two games a year, and then maybe five or six thanks to the CBS and NBC sports nets.  It is so great for us out of towners.

Oh yeah, and get offa my lawn.  

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/22/2017 10:57 am  #20

Tejas doesn't make you sound like a dinosaur, but the one complaint I have is to echo others regarding the board at games.

Why would you show the live feed of the game while it's going on? As someone else mentioned every seat in Palumbo is good enough to watch the game without needing to look at the board.

The only time they show stats is halftime which makes no sense. I want to see how guys are playing throughout the game not one time at the half.

They never show replays at stoppages either. Again brain dead, show the action while it is going on or show replays during down periods in the game to keep people updated and entertained? This seems like a no brainer.

Suggestions:

Don't ever show the live feed at games, it makes no sense. Instead periodically show stats and cheer prompts as someone else mentioned.

It sounds corny but if you go to other sporting events you see that this is what can sometimes get a crowd going, which helps create a "home field" type of atmosphere, which we are seriously lacking in currently. "Defense" and "let's go Dukes" would really help get the crowd involved.

Start showing replays during timeouts, tv timeouts. It will recap and provide entertainment in down periods. Let us appreciate the plays these guys are making out there.

I've been going to games for 8 years now and I swear they used to do the things listed above. If someone can confirm that it would be much appreciated.

11/22/2017 11:07 am  #21

My understanding is the way Palumbo is set up is that everything runs through the scoreboard.  Therefore DU can only stream video over the internet is by running it through the scoreboard.  I do not understand why as other outdoor events are streamed. 

11/22/2017 3:32 pm  #22

I thought that someone once found out that the Athletic Department doesn't have anything to do with how Palumbo is run, including the tech side of it.  That being said I agree with what many of you have noted.  My suggestion is that if the AD isn't in charge of these things at Palumbo then Dr. G should be made aware of it so whoever is in charge can get their act together or advise what is needed to make it happen!

11/22/2017 5:42 pm  #23

Duques102 wrote:

Tejas doesn't make you sound like a dinosaur, but the one complaint I have is to echo others regarding the board at games.

Why would you show the live feed of the game while it's going on? As someone else mentioned every seat in Palumbo is good enough to watch the game without needing to look at the board.

The only time they show stats is halftime which makes no sense. I want to see how guys are playing throughout the game not one time at the half.

They never show replays at stoppages either. Again brain dead, show the action while it is going on or show replays during down periods in the game to keep people updated and entertained? This seems like a no brainer.

Suggestions:

Don't ever show the live feed at games, it makes no sense. Instead periodically show stats and cheer prompts as someone else mentioned.

It sounds corny but if you go to other sporting events you see that this is what can sometimes get a crowd going, which helps create a "home field" type of atmosphere, which we are seriously lacking in currently. "Defense" and "let's go Dukes" would really help get the crowd involved.

Start showing replays during timeouts, tv timeouts. It will recap and provide entertainment in down periods. Let us appreciate the plays these guys are making out there.

I've been going to games for 8 years now and I swear they used to do the things listed above. If someone can confirm that it would be much appreciated.

Everything you said echos what I said in my post above and I agree 100%

You are correct in your assumption. The second year of the board they showed stats only.  And had images like 3 and defense.  And some replays.  They also had a short lived in game host.  Dance cam.   Stuff like you see at sporting events in 2017. 

Then they got bored and went back to the absolute minimum.

My only theory is that the place is getting close to being gutted so we won’t see anything new.  Only a theory though.

Board footera