Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/28/2017 9:15 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Cornell

Phildog wrote:

When the Dukes kept missing the last 6 min of the game, Rene stepped up and started hitting three's and those awkward drives that he somehow scored on.

This makes me wonder why he never got to play the last three years.

I still think this team will improve throughout the year, JRob had a few flashes last night but then the defense of Cornell stepped up on him.

Have faith, better days will be coming.

To be fair, Rene was decent last year, but he was awful 2 years ago, and earned his spot on the bench.

11/28/2017 10:22 am  #52

Did I read correctly that Chas Brown was dressed last night?  I see he didnt play.  

11/28/2017 10:25 am  #53

At last night's game. Very disappointed in the outcome but saw it coming by the end of the first half. Did not expect to win from that point on. If we had a 10 point lead at the half, well maybe. Obvious lack of bodies to throw out there. In his presser KD mentioned that he was trying to establish a style for the future and that is what he is attempting to instill in the players. He is not a zone guy by ant stretch and does not want to focus on it to the detriment of the players continuing to improve on the man D. At least that's what I got out of it. This is why I said that the team would need to go 6-3 in league home games to get beyond 14-15 wins. It does look like I underestimated our difficulties. Hoping Chas Brown can bring it when healthy! Pitt will be tougher than Cornell was. GO DUKES!!

11/28/2017 12:18 pm  #54

I was really hoping we would see more students turn out.  I don't know if they are still on break but there looked to be only a handful of students.  DU students have to be the worst fans in the Country. Maybe, just maybe we would see more energy and fire from this team if the had their fellow students cheering them on.  You would think the football team would turn out in full to support a fellow player and the DUWBB would show up occasionally along with other athletes.  School Spirit and School Pride is non existent at DU.  The student body is a bunch of losers.  Yes, as usual,  they will show up at the Pitt game and cheer, but that will be last time you see them come out in mass all season. 

11/28/2017 12:46 pm  #55

CLK wrote:

I was really hoping we would see more students turn out.  I don't know if they are still on break but there looked to be only a handful of students.  DU students have to be the worst fans in the Country. Maybe, just maybe we would see more energy and fire from this team if the had their fellow students cheering them on.  You would think the football team would turn out in full to support a fellow player and the DUWBB would show up occasionally along with other athletes.  School Spirit and School Pride is non existent at DU.  The student body is a bunch of losers.  Yes, as usual,  they will show up at the Pitt game and cheer, but that will be last time you see them come out in mass all season. 

They're only a handful of students outside the Pep Band that stand and cheer. There were probably a little less than 100 students in the section sitting, and there are many that sit somewhere else during the game. I have no idea why they do this, but there's not enough seats being filled elsewhere to stop them from sitting over there.

A girl came up to buy a City Game ticket last night, swear to god, in a Pitt shirt... WTH is she doing??

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/28/2017 1:10 pm  #56

A number of students and others, that have no tickets for the section, are sitting in premium seats.  Sections A-6-7-8.  NOBODY CHECKS TICKETS. A major beef I have with sports department.  I, along with other upset fans, pay a premium price to sit in these seats while others pay no where near that.  Why should we be charged when others aren’t ????

11/28/2017 1:39 pm  #57

CLK wrote:

The students are not going to care until we start winning. Look at the mass exodus from the Pitt fanbase after one bad year. If they can't get fans to stick with them after the best 15 year stretch in their program's history, you know how fickle the fans are. It is what it is. We can complain until the cows come home, and it won't matter. This town doesn't tolerate losers.

11/28/2017 2:02 pm  #58

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

The students are not going to care until we start winning. Look at the mass exodus from the Pitt fanbase after one bad year. If they can't get fans to stick with them after the best 15 year stretch in their program's history, you know how fickle the fans are. It is what it is. We can complain until the cows come home, and it won't matter. This town doesn't tolerate losers.

I really am not buying the "is what it is excuse".  There is something seriously lacking in DU student when it comes to school spirit.  The football team has been winning for years yet the students don't show up, and attendance is one of the worst in the FCS.  Even when Ron was winning there was an uptick in students, nowhere near what it should be.  Hell when Fordham was one of the worst teams in the League the still had great student support.  From what I am hearing in the other post that other students who go top the game feel like they are too good to sit with the other student who cheer.  While I am venting, I will say again that when it comes to running DU hoops from an administrative standpoint nothing will change until Harper clears house of the Amodio cronies. 

Last edited by CLK (11/28/2017 3:03 pm)

11/28/2017 2:43 pm  #59

I don'[t get the lack of interest on the part of the students. I went to tons of games at the arena in my DU days. Of course I saw the final year of Willie Somerset. I also saw great games with the Nelsons, Jarrett, Billy Zopf and that crew. Maybe there is something about winning that will help turn this around. I couldn't be more excited about the future of DU hoops. With 10 players for next year that aren't even on this year's team, it should be something special to see!  GO DUKES!!!

11/28/2017 4:04 pm  #60

Gents don’t want to be a sexist but this isn’t the university many of us knew. I welcome the opinions of the more recent grads that post but having a daughter who was a recent grad I believe the school is over 60% female the interest just isn’t there.

11/28/2017 4:22 pm  #61

The Dome wrote:

Gents don’t want to be a sexist but this isn’t the university many of us knew. I welcome the opinions of the more recent grads that post but having a daughter who was a recent grad I believe the school is over 60% female the interest just isn’t there.

I believe that is correct. Regardless, I am of the belief that people (even non-DU) people will come if Duquesne wins. It's that simple. While most people believe that Dambrot will win here, Duquesne has been down for too long for people to show up before the winning actually starts.

11/28/2017 7:00 pm  #62

Thanks 2012, I agree. The mob turned on Pitt quickly. Dixon went to the tournament his final year and no one cared. Maybe a 10 year wait will change their minds. A drought like ours has turned us into a joke.

11/28/2017 9:16 pm  #63

fjhryn wrote:

I wasn't surprised at all that there weren't more students at the game. Any time there's a Dukes game the same night as a Penguins game, few students show up at Palumbo. But when I'm walking up to Gate B there's a ton of students wearing Pens jerseys heading to PPG. It's been that way for years & I don't know how it can be changed. What's more troubling is the comment about a female student buying a ticket to the Pitt game wearing a Pitt shirt. I was on campus the day that Pitt played Oklahoma State at Heinz Field & I couldn't believe the number of DU female students wearing Pitt gear & heading to that game. Going to these games (Pens & Pitt at Heinz) are events that the students seem to gravitate towards, just like the Dukes/Pitt game on Friday. Sad to say, but going to Palumbo just isn't and I don't think it has anything to do with the Athletic Department staff.

This is it. Changing staff won't help. The football is small time, only the die hards care. I went to one football in my 4 years on the Bluff, despite the team being good. After last night, can you blame the students for finding something else to do with their time? Pittsburgh has no interest in losers.

11/29/2017 9:43 am  #64

Dukes host Cornell!!!  Who is attracted to that?  Maybe if it was a debate or a Mathletes contest.  Why on Earth would a student go to one of these games?  They stink, its boring, no one is there.  If 500 students showed up and cheered the whole game they would still stink and it would still be boring.  Friday will be awful as well, I'm not looking forward to going.  Two terrible teams playing in an over half empty arena neither team calls home.  I am not upset, willing to wait thru an awful year to get to the good stuff next year.
If DU were to win 15-18 games next year and return some A10 stars, maybe, and pitt continues to suck, MAYBE in 2019-2020 some students might show up.    Even a renovated  AJPC will only bring in people until they new smell wears off, unless they are winning 18+ games a year.  It can be done.  Program is pointed in right direction.

11/29/2017 4:33 pm  #65

CLK wrote:

I didn't expect a large student turnout after losing to RMU again; but just wanted to respond to CLK regarding a few of his comments.  First, the DUWBB team has been turning out for the men's games when they are in town.  I sat behind a number of the DUWBB players along with Coach Burt and his family.  There was another group of women's players sitting close to the team entrance to the court. 
In general, I've given up trying to understand why more students won't walk about 100 yards to see the team play.  It must come down to the type of students that are attracted to Duquesne in this era. 

Last edited by levon1975 (11/29/2017 6:47 pm)

11/29/2017 4:47 pm  #66

townsonkid wrote:

Dukes host Cornell!!!  Who is attracted to that?  Maybe if it was a debate or a Mathletes contest.  Why on Earth would a student go to one of these games?  They stink, its boring, no one is there.  If 500 students showed up and cheered the whole game they would still stink and it would still be boring.  Friday will be awful as well, I'm not looking forward to going.  Two terrible teams playing in an over half empty arena neither team calls home.  I am not upset, willing to wait thru an awful year to get to the good stuff next year.
If DU were to win 15-18 games next year and return some A10 stars, maybe, and pitt continues to suck, MAYBE in 2019-2020 some students might show up.    Even a renovated  AJPC will only bring in people until they new smell wears off, unless they are winning 18+ games a year.  It can be done.  Program is pointed in right direction.

It's going to take more than 18 wins to get people excited, which is why I like KD. I don't think KD is delusional enough to think we can ever be the elite program we were when his dad was here, but judging by his statements, I think he believes he can return us to what we were under Red Manning, which was pretty damn good, and which is what it will take to build any true excitement around this program.

11/29/2017 5:13 pm  #67

Back in Reds day we won almost all the home games and it was exciting, I remember the 72-73 team, we lost our final game at South Carolina with Frank McGuire team loaded with NYC kids. And lost our NIT bid, finishing 16-8. We were all so pissed only winning 16 and not 20.
Give me those days again with Coach D and I will be happy!

A diehard fan since 1961

Board footera