Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2017 9:37 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - Pitt

My personal observations...
-I like where the teams sat - it was nice having the Dukes in front of me and watching the coaches and players
-I saw hope!  We knew this year would be rough, but they played hard and competed...they actually out rebounded Pitt
-Brown is huge!
-The kid from California...TV...played the entire first half - only a freshman
-Williams - what a find...
-Lewis seemed to come out of his slump
-I am looking for us to win at least 2 out of 3 this week...and Taylor is as tough as nails...even though he does enjoy dropping the "F" bomb when yelling back at the assistant coaches...which did surprise me a little...

All in all they never gave up!

Last edited by FAM (12/01/2017 9:38 pm)

12/01/2017 9:49 pm  #27

I saw same thing FAM and Kellen is good athlete and gave them a lift and toughness tonight!IT was the first time I saw him barking back to basketball coaches but not 1st time I saw him barking  with coaches or teammates.I would like to see more help defense as a team too but not a bad effort overall!Obviously nothing from guards except Lewis. GO DUKES

12/01/2017 10:15 pm  #28

We glaringly lack a point guard. But we knew that. Castro and Smith would give up the dribble 5-10 feet outside of the three point line. Neither was effective getting to the hoop at all. Castro's herky-jerky drives ok against low majors but not against power-5. Smith made some poor decisions and worse shots. It will be a long season but Williams and Tydus will be interesting to watch. And how about Kratholm! Two shots, two treys. Nice. Keep the faith. 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

12/01/2017 10:21 pm  #29

there is one day in the not-too distant future where we should be the favorite in this series.

i did have hope that would start tonght and...*sigh*

The future is bright though. ML2 I hope you can lead this team to the promise land. Eric Williams can play every day of the week for any team.

OT - D-Swingle had 26/13/6blocks in his opener tonight. I cannot WAIT to see what next year's team has in store for us.

Go Dukes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/01/2017 11:00 pm  #30

I think i saw the same.  But i think i saw norman dale coaching DU.  First half anyway. 
We got players.  Scorers.  “Ballers”. 

But!   KD knows how to build this and is building.   

I told my pitt buddies, enjoy tonight.

12/01/2017 11:02 pm  #31

KenOTR73 wrote:

We glaringly lack a point guard. But we knew that. Castro and Smith would give up the dribble 5-10 feet outside of the three point line. Neither was effective getting to the hoop at all. Castro's herky-jerky drives ok against low majors but not against power-5. Smith made some poor decisions and worse shots. It will be a long season but Williams and Tydus will be interesting to watch. And how about Kratholm! Two shots, two treys. Nice. Keep the faith. 

I agree with you to a certain extent on the point guard, but with an overanalyzed caveat. 

Now that I live in Greensburg, I have a long time to think about the game after the game before I get to react. Ferry, by design, consistently recruited combo guards or essentially a hybrid of a 1 and 2. In general, I don't have a huge issue with this as it leads to less rigid offense that's more difficult to defend compared to the classic one who rarely shot the ball and the classic two who generally was a pure shooter / finisher. I think you need a guy who can score at the one and a second guy (maybe a third?) who can handle the ball and pass in the A-10. I think there is a continuum combo guards. If someone like Martin Osamani was a pure 1 and someone like Emile Blackman was a pure 2 even though he played the three, you have guys directly in the middle like Micah Mason. He would be a 1.5. Guys like Colter and Eric Evans were combo guards with considerable shooting guard tendencies but who looked slightly more like point guards. They would be 1.4s. TJ would have been closer to a pure point guard, but was still in the middle. I'd call him a 1.20 while he was here, but he may have been 1.1 at Zona. On the other end, Sean Johnson was about a 1.7. Mike Lewis II is pretty darn close to being a pure two. We'll call him a 1.8. 

The problem is right now, I think the Dukes have no one that leans point guard enough. Smith is probably a 1.65 and Rene is about a 1.7. So while I don't want a pure point guard ever again or a pure two, I think you'd like to have one guy who solidly leans point, at least 1.3 and a guy who backs him up in 1.5 - 1.6 range. That's good balance that will provide scoring and make plays to make the guys 3-5 look even better. 

Since we're talking about what this team is missing, they could also use a taller players who can spread the floor and force a big guy to the perimeter. They do not have that. 

12/02/2017 6:45 am  #32

I like the tone right now. Disappointed but optimistic. I think this is the right tone.

Castro-Canedy not showing up killed us tonight. Can't wait until the little guy from Akron and our incoming freshman man the point.

Kratholm sank a couple shots, Verhoeven keeps playing well, and Williams right now is our best player. Lewis II needs to step up a little.

12/02/2017 7:46 am  #33

ElDuque wrote:

I like the tone right now. Disappointed but optimistic. I think this is the right tone.

Castro-Canedy not showing up killed us tonight. Can't wait until the little guy from Akron and our incoming freshman man the point.

Kratholm sank a couple shots, Verhoeven keeps playing well, and Williams right now is our best player. Lewis II needs to step up a little.

ED, did you see the practice highlights that Dunn Martin posted on his Twitter page the other day? Really, really impressive. His passing looks light years ahead of anyone on the current team. He will get mike Lewis plenty of open looks.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (12/02/2017 7:46 am)

12/02/2017 8:17 am  #34

Dukes2012 wrote:

ED, did you see the practice highlights that Dunn Martin posted on his Twitter page the other day? Really, really impressive. His passing looks light years ahead of anyone on the current team. He will get mike Lewis plenty of open looks.

Here you go Dukes2012.  Worth a look even though it was recorded off of a laptop screen.
https://twitter.com/nolimitTDM_11/status/936064822910832641

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (12/02/2017 8:21 am)

12/02/2017 8:28 am  #35

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Here you go Dukes2012.  Worth a look even though it was recorded off of a laptop screen.

Thanks. He is going to add another deminsion to this team just with his quickness. Out guards this year have had a tough time staying in front of quick guards on defense.

Last edited by Dukes2012 (12/02/2017 8:31 am)

12/02/2017 9:10 am  #36

Steve19981, super analysis and spot on. Thank you!

12/02/2017 9:15 am  #37

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

Thanks Phoenix. That sequence at 1:25 where he dribbles around three defenders is eye-popping. I'll just keep popping the pills for next year.

12/02/2017 10:03 am  #38

Kid has confidence and some show in him. Last 3 he took he's looking at the stands when the ball goes in.

12/02/2017 10:57 am  #39

We all seemed to know that 17-18 would be a difficult year, however seeing a little of the practice video really gives hope for the upcoming seasons.

And I just bet that there will be more improvement and games won and "stolen" from a few of our foes this season.

A diehard fan since 1961

12/02/2017 12:37 pm  #40

yak-rbc wrote:

there is one day in the not-too distant future where we should be the favorite in this series.

i did have hope that would start tonght and...*sigh*

The future is bright though. ML2 I hope you can lead this team to the promise land. Eric Williams can play every day of the week for any team.

OT - D-Swingle had 26/13/6blocks in his opener tonight. I cannot WAIT to see what next year's team has in store for us.

Go Dukes

Gavin Bizeau had 28 points and 13 rebounds in his game last night

http://www.flyergroup.com/sports/local_sports/quakers-stay-beyond-whiteland-s-reach/article_d83f427a-d710-11e7-b23b-9fbf62e61130.html

While Brandon Wade 23pts, 9 assists, and 6 rebounds the other night

12/02/2017 12:41 pm  #41

Gents while I agree there is a lot to look forward to the inexcusable play of our guards is hard to tolerate. Although we are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country we continue to fire at 47% of our total shots. You also can’t survive on 8 assists per game. Last night Pitt had 19 to our 9. Our guards are as likely to turn it over than get a assist. The best we looked offensively last night was with Smith and Castro on the bench. Leave then there!

12/02/2017 1:44 pm  #42

The Dome wrote:

Gents while I agree there is a lot to look forward to the inexcusable play of our guards is hard to tolerate. Although we are one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country we continue to fire at 47% of our total shots. You also can’t survive on 8 assists per game. Last night Pitt had 19 to our 9. Our guards are as likely to turn it over than get a assist. The best we looked offensively last night was with Smith and Castro on the bench. Leave then there!

I don't think there is much alternative for the offense we're seeing with the current personnel. I've suggested earlier in the thread that Smith, Castro and Lewis are more twos than ones. The current team doesn't have a ton of vision in the backcourt. When they go big (Robinson and Tydus), they don't have anyone who can shoot from the four and spread opponents out. This makes it considerably more difficult for a slasher like Smith to play his game by driving to the basket and scoring. Also I don't expect Lewis to stay below .300 from three for much longer or for Smith to go 0 for the entire season from three. They're not a great shooting team but the sample is small and skewed by some worse than expected starts. Also, Smith and Castro are averaging 26 pts a game. Dambrot has absolutely no way of replacing them at the moment. Castro's actually been pretty efficient arriving at his sixteen points a game and really he's had one bad look in four. You can solidly make the argument that he's been the teams most valuable player after Williams and their best offensive player even if he's being used out of position about half the time. 

12/02/2017 3:25 pm  #43

Steve if I’m going to lose let’s at least make it beneficial. In the past 3 games against mediocre competition Smith, Castro and Lewis have combined for 16 assists and 21 TO’s. They are a combined 29% from the field. Say what you want about Stallings his message of SHARE the ball or lose has resonated. It’s obvious Dambrot hasn’t been able to get through to these 3 since his hands are tied but God Bless him he is trying.
I’m also not near as positive about Lewis for 2 reasons, he is no longer a secret and has little protection so he is drawing a good defender and since he now is being ask to play defense I’m not sure he has adjusted to what it’s going to take to play that hard just yet.

12/02/2017 7:28 pm  #44

After watching this game and going forward. Williams is our best defender off the ball and on the ball between our guards and is rebounding the hell out of the ball. Held Wilson frame to 1-9 shooting. No one will mention that. Also he looks taller than 6-5.. yes he needs to bulk up but the kid has muscle to him it clearly shows. Won’t be surprised if he leaves to go someone bigger.

Chas Brown showed me little to nothing. Gave up a offensive rebound and turned the ball over.
Problem are not gonna change I don’t think we just have to get better with what we got.

12/02/2017 8:03 pm  #45

Dukes2012 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Saw him put on a dunking clinic at the open practice. He's going to be fun to watch.

12/03/2017 1:18 pm  #46

Godukes2017 wrote:

After watching this game and going forward. Williams is our best defender off the ball and on the ball between our guards and is rebounding the hell out of the ball. Held Wilson frame to 1-9 shooting. No one will mention that. Also he looks taller than 6-5.. yes he needs to bulk up but the kid has muscle to him it clearly shows. Won’t be surprised if he leaves to go someone bigger.

Chas Brown showed me little to nothing. Gave up a offensive rebound and turned the ball over.
Problem are not gonna change I don’t think we just have to get better with what we got.

Brown probably a little better than what he showed in that couple of minutes. Just got out of a boot will need some time to get adjusted,

12/03/2017 1:47 pm  #47

Just saw the box score and Brown had 3 rebounds in 5 minutes.

12/03/2017 1:57 pm  #48

Btw effort and rebounding wasn't the problem I don't think. I wanted to see better man to man and also better help man to man... in other words leave your  guy  to help swat at ball if you are a guard and Luther  is posting or leave your guy if you are,a big and your  guard teammate  is beat down the lane or baseline.

12/03/2017 2:28 pm  #49

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Btw effort and rebounding wasn't the problem I don't think. I wanted to see better man to man and also better help man to man... in other words leave your  guy  to help swat at ball if you are a guard and Luther  is posting or leave your guy if you are,a big and your  guard teammate  is beat down the lane or baseline.

Agreed, Judge. The Dukes actually outrebounded Pitt. The defense from our guards has been really disappointing, especially Smith who I would have thought coming out of that acclaimed NJ high school to be fundamentally sound defensively- he’s a liability right now. And our guards’ inability to deliver interior passes is hurting the offense. I personally way overrated these 3 guards regarding how quickly they would pick up Dambrot’s system and produce results. I think they are collectively better than they have showed so far.

Board footera