Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2017 9:07 pm  #26

Re: A few observations

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Points well taken Duq81 and totally forgot about Herron and WVU. Right about 1977 BB Dukes being 500 team but they got hot late in season.I am hoping that seasons like 1977 are not to far off in Duquesne sports future

I'm aiming a bit higher. 1969 is what I want to see. Sweet 16, and ranked #9.

11/30/2017 9:26 pm  #27

Hahaha okay.I am plugging my 1977 football teams success that year too and still bummed that this years  Grid Iron Dukes team didn't make FCS . 1969 hoops team was the best I saw and at the time I was in 8th grade wearing Gary Nelsons number! Find memories of going to a packed Civic Arena with my Dad

12/01/2017 6:45 am  #28

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

All of whom are practicing now. Eric Williams will be the only teen among this group next year.

Tydus?

Tydus turns 20 next November. This will be a team of men.

This is an underrated bit of reporting. Great job, sir!

Not rehashing the 5 years of bricklaying but one main issue with the previous regime was the feeling of starting over every season. Yes, there were always 7-8 recruits about whom we felt optimistic, but the result was always that someone who looked to actually be an important building block transferred out early and boom, we're starting over again. Even DC's senior year, we had so little depth and bench strength after four recruiting seasons.

Well, we're taking some lumps this year, but we have pretty much a new team ready to step in next year with a full season of practicing in this system, plus the best influx of young bigs I've ever seen on the Bluff.

Now you add what duq81 has uncovered: This isn't going to be a bunch of 17 year olds and a one hit wonder next season. This is going to be a solid, experienced roster with size, depth, numbers at every position, and years of eligibility left.

Well played, Keith Dambrot.

12/04/2017 10:29 am  #29

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

I felt 7 to 10 wins was about right for this season, I'm leaning more toward the lower number now after the loss to Cornell.

Dambrot seems to be a smart guy so that's a positive.

Playing with so few scholarship players is a losing proposition. That's why they played so poorly at the end of some games, fatigue. That will only get worse.

Not sure attendance will ever be good again. They have lost for so long, they have become irrelevant on campus.

Finally, even when they add players next season, it will probably take another year for the parts to jel.

The crowds will come if they win, but you have to understand that win means win big. Ron's winning was great for us die hards, but made little impression on the average Pittsburgh sports fan. Win has to mean top 2-3 in the A10, NCAA bids, and maybe scraping the bottom of the Top 25. That is what will fill Palumbo, and have us playing 2-4 big games a year at the Arena.
That said, keep in mind that next year's team is basically already here, and being coached by KD every day. Some here are hyping Swingle, and the other bigs coming in, but these are not stud players, and they will need to be developed before they can contribute much more than playing a supporting role. The guys sitting out are men, and will be the key to the next two years, along with the returning players from this year's squad. KD is coaching them in the system he wants to play, and they will hit the ground much more ready to play than if he was bringing in a bunch of freshmen, and JC guys. No knock on Swingle, and the other frosh bigs, but they're going to make their impact as juniors, and seniors. Next year, they eat up space, and fouls, and maybe rebound, which might be enough.

I believe you are correct.  One thing to know is that KD teams usually shoot well and have numerous guys who can hit the 3....even big guys.  From the box scores....it appears that this is not a good shooting team.  What worries me is that shooting comes naturally and should not be affected by the coaching change...and the competition to date has not been that difficult.  You may get better and more open shots with a good system, but you still must make the shot.  If the shooting does not improve then the incoming guys next year will have a chance to contribute right away.  Jake Kretzer and Reggie McAdams both contributed in a big way as true freshman at Akron because they worked hard and were very good shooters...especially from outside (both were wings, Kretzer is now on your coaching staff).  Don't be surprised to see freshman given big opportunities next year if the current guys don't step up.  They have an incredible opportunity...low expectations and lots of playing time.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/04/2017 10:31 am)

Board footera